What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

Luckily, my pops taught me how to drive on a manual 1997 Saturn SL (babe magnet). And as most 16 yr old "men" do, I totalled it. Just so happened, though, that the 1975 Datsun 280Z we'd been restoring would be cheaper to insure than our Suburban. So that was my ride for the rest of my time in high school and anytime I came home from college.
Right now I'm driving a manual 2007 Saturn Ion but am in the market for a Subaru WRX. I've been trying to teach the wife how to drive stick, but am beginning to think she's a lost cause. I figured that would more easily justify me buying a new standard car.. we shall see!
All in all, I feel like I have better control over the car. Especially with the snow and long road trips, I like to be able to pass when I want and use engine braking to my advantage. Driving my wife's automatic Honda Civic is just a chore to get from point-A to point-B

A number of my cars were standard. I now own a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport with a five speed automatic. I can let it do its thing, or upshift and downshift by pushing the shifter to the right or pulling it to the left. My wife has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and is an eight speed with paddles on the steering wheel if a manual shift is desired (shades of an F1).

Last edited:
I've only once driven an auto. They still aren't too common here. It frightened the life out of me, not to mention the guy behind who nearly ran into me when I tried to change up and my left foot hit that big pedal where the clutch should have been!

Gareth

I learned to drive in a 1958 Rambler American with 3 on the tree. It was a lot of fun. I spent 12 years or so with only automatics until I bought my wife a 1965 Chevy C20 pickup last year. They both have their place. I spend most of my work day driving, so I don't look at driving as a recreational event anymore.

When I was a kid learning to drive you could either get your automatic or manual car licence. Of course, all your mates would make fun of you if you only had an auto licence, and nobody wants that, so everyone learned manual from the beginning.

I think it really depends where you live, as to which one makes more sense. If you get to do lots of free moving driving, a manual is a lot more enjoyable because you have more of a feeling of control about how the car is working, particularly if your car has a bit of performance. But if you spend most of your time sitting stuck in traffic then I can see an auto being the way to go.

+1

Oh the shame of "only" having an automatic license. :)

I heard recently the head of BMW Motorsport (I think) saying that all BMWs will be automatic in the next few years. Technology must be improving if a performance division is phasing out manual transmission.

Every now and then, when I go to start it, my left foot stomps on the floor board...:w00t:
I hate that. It's even worse when your foot catches the edge of the brake pedal when you try shift into 5th. I don't think I've had a car with a manual transmission since '09.

Last edited:
I recently switched back to an automatic a few months ago as they make no manual SUV's in the size I needed (wanted lol) My wife's car is still a manual and we're struggling with finding a suitable replacement that's reasonably equipped and not a luxury sports car. My wife is pretty adamant that she's going to have a manual, so I might have to save up for an Audi or BMW lol. She's never had an automatic.
BTW both of our manuals had cruise control
Funny thing is that these days the autos generally run better on gas mileage, all the hybrids and "efficient" cars have autos as the gear ratios are a lot better in them, and they can shift better than you or I can, no matter how well trained we are which is sad IMO. For an example look at F1 which is all computer controlled dual clutch manuals, which are IMO automatics as there is no clutch, or even direct control for the driver. The driver essentially flips a switch and the car shifts for him faster and better then any "mere" human can.
That being said, I'll miss the manuals when they finally go. Heck you can't even get a manual in a Ferrari or a Lambo anymore:(

I miss driving with a manual transmission. I went with an auto on my current car because my wife has no desire to learn manual. I enjoy the physical aspect of sifting the gears.

Since automatics are more expensive, and have worse fuel efficiency, it's an easy choice. Shifting gears isn't that difficult!

Was a manual lover most of my adult life. Traffic was always an annoying situation with a stick, so I got an automatic years ago. Don't think I'll ever go manual again.

Like you, I prefer driving a stick. And I too was most recently forced to purchase an automatic due to life circumstances/ familia sharing.

my favorite that I owned was an Acura integra GSR- what a blast- it was a luxury rocket!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have very strong opinions on this. I believe that a licensed driver should be free to buy any car he wants, manual or automatic. However, I also believe that anyone who cannot drive a manual should not be licensed to drive.

Was a manual lover most of my adult life. Traffic was always an annoying situation with a stick, so I got an automatic years ago. Don't think I'll ever go manual again.
I agree. I grew up in Britain on sticks and didn't drive an automatic until I got to the States.
City traffic is a pain in the butt with a manual, and in highway driving it doesn't really matter (unless you're in stop and go traffic, in which case it's annoying again).
Unless you're tootling around on winding country roads in a sporty car, sticks are irrelevant. (YTransmissionNeedsMV)

I currently drive a manual transmission car.
I like it. I don't think I'd want to drive a large vehicle like a minivan though.
My car is a small Nissan Versa.

The only annoying thing is when you want to or have to swap vehicles. No one I know can drive a standard except my Mom, Dad and brother.

Manual isn't for me. Never learned how, never had any need, and never had any desire. I can definitely understand why someone who has a deeper appreciation for cars would be into it, though.

Top Bottom