What's new

no love for col conks?

I got a puck of the amber. Pretty much nothing to write home about. But it seems to lather pretty good. I dont see a tremendous amount of threads about many of their soaps. I got mine when I bought a shave mug from Conk. My question would be this...is the glycerin component of these soaps a strong selling point? I have heard the glycerin based products may be really good for super sensitive skin. I would love to hear any thoughts.

I went through a puck of the almond and got great shaves with it. There are just so many other soaps to try so I didn't replace it.

It was one of my first soaps, will not replace it when it's gone. For a similar price stirling exceeds it in performance by a long stretch.

I got a puck of the amber. Pretty much nothing to write home about. But it seems to lather pretty good. I dont see a tremendous amount of threads about many of their soaps. I got mine when I bought a shave mug from Conk. My question would be this...is the glycerin component of these soaps a strong selling point? I have heard the glycerin based products may be really good for super sensitive skin. I would love to hear any thoughts.

That was my first soap four years ago. I remember liking it but otherwise don't remember anything else about it. I explored other soaps and never used it again. That's probably why you don't hear much about it.

It was my first soap and I thought it was pretty nice then. But once you try all these artisan soaps and commercial stuff like Tabac, it's like continuing to eat a choice grade steak when you're tried prime rib.

It's a decent soap for the price per ounce. IMO soaps like Arko and Stirling are much better though for the same price per ounce.

It is a pretty forgettable soap once you try other products. It is a great starter soap but it is like middle of the road in terms of quality.

Glycerin-based soaps such as Col Conks dont have a long lifespan and will end up being pricey in comparison to a hard triple-milled soap. Initial cost is low but if you have to buy a replacement every month then Tabac or D R Harris or other hard soaps offer better value.

I tossed my Conks after one shave. Ranks as one of the worst as far as I'm concerned and not because it's glycerin. SRD and Ogallala glycerin soaps are far better both in scent and performance.

I bought three pucks of Conks Bay Rum when I ordered my shave gear in February. PIF'd one to a co-worker. The scent is a bit underwhelming. Otherwise, it seems to be little more than the VDH soap I can get cheaper locally.

After poor experiences with other melt & pour soaps, I've lost all interest in them. The two brands I've tried, Mama Bear and Ogalalla, both burned me from too much fragrance.

Col. Conk soaps are just ok to me, not real bad and not real good. I suspect those who have used it feel the same and that's why there isn't a lot of discussion.

As far as glycerin, i don't really know. It isn't important to me, but seems there are many who value it. I see it as one more thing a guy has to try and find out for himself.

As far as glycerin, i don't really know. It isn't important to me, but seems there are many who value it. I see it as one more thing a guy has to try and find out for himself.

I'm lukewarm on glycerin melt-n-pour soaps. Never used one that could stand up against the tallow soaps like Tabac or Strop Shoppe. Or the veggies like LA Shaving soap.

Now, adding straight glycerin to soaps...that works. It makes it lather creamier and slicker. Getting foamy, dish soap lather? Add a few drops of glycerin and it'll fix it. It's basically the "easy button" of shaving.

I think it is a decent soap. But it did get me to keep looking into nicer soaps, so I do appreciate it for that. I feel like it was the start of my soap AD.

I have a couple pucks still but they haven't been used for quite some time. I will probably not replace them when they're gone.

It is funny, at one point on here several years ago, glycerin soaps were all the rage. Guys had drawers and closets full of them. Various brands were touted and discussed at length. Almost everyone reported getting great shaves from them, with the main complaint being occasional allergic reactions to some scents.

And now, it is rare to hear anyone on here admit to owning a melt and pour, much less actually using one to shave. Trends change. Today's darling becomes tomorrow's outcast. Personally, I think they still perform quite well. I love the slickness a glycerin soap can produce.

Top Bottom