What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

So I found a use for my rosegold handle. Had this head ( golden plate/chrome cap) lying around for some time, unused. Decided to pair it with the Muhle's handle, and I really like the way it looks.
Bonus points for the great shave it delivered. Not a pure blood beast but ... :wink2:

$CAM00991.jpg

Thought it might be a good idea to use training wheels for a while, so I've been shaving with a RazoRock Jaws daily for several weeks, working on technique to get ready for the 2013 R41 plunge. . .which was this morning: R41 head + IKON Bulldog II handle + Platinum Lux + Stirling Scots Pine and KMF superlather. Wow, now I know what everybody is talking about. 2-pass shave (to play it safe) w/very little touch up gave a near BBS result with the slightest stubble. Two tiny nicks on the 2nd pass (1st pass went so well i think I got over-confident) and, surprisingly to me, hardly any irritation. Already love my R41!

Thought it might be a good idea to use training wheels for a while, so I've been shaving with a RazoRock Jaws daily for several weeks, working on technique to get ready for the 2013 R41 plunge. . .which was this morning: R41 head + IKON Bulldog II handle + Platinum Lux + Stirling Scots Pine and KMF superlather. Wow, now I know what everybody is talking about. 2-pass shave (to play it safe) w/very little touch up gave a near BBS result with the slightest stubble. Two tiny nicks on the 2nd pass (1st pass went so well i think I got over-confident) and, surprisingly to me, hardly any irritation. Already love my R41!

Congrats!
But please don't get careless now. The R41 requires time and practice to master its technique.
Just out of curiosity, which blade angle were you using? Steep or shallow?

I know KR it was an eye opening experience for me too. My first few shaves with the R41 were crazy good I couldn't believe the combo of closeness and calm skin.
Then I got a got careless and had a few nicks and a little burn on the 3rd shave so watch out. Shaves 1 & 2 were so good and my face was absent of irritation that I got lulled to sleep.

I've had the R41 (2011) for a few years now, didn't use it that much at the start, as I always ended up cutting myself, sometimes quite bad, would have to stop using it for a week or two to let the scabs heal.
However, it is now my everyday razor, and haven't cut myself for a long time now.
Just takes time I guess.

Congrats!
But please don't get careless now. The R41 requires time and practice to master its technique.
Just out of curiosity, which blade angle were you using? Steep or shallow?

Yes, the nicks were tiny...but a reminder. I heed the warning.

Seems a pretty steep angle worked best for me with the Jaws, so I stayed there. Blade 70-75 degrees from the plane of the skin (i.e., handle roughly 25-30). Any suggestions?

Yes, the nicks were tiny...but a reminder. I heed the warning.

Seems a pretty steep angle worked best for me with the Jaws, so I stayed there. Blade 70-75 degrees from the plane of the skin (i.e., handle roughly 25-30). Any suggestions?

Nope, the steep angle is what works the best for me too.

I would just probably add, do not try to get too many shaves with the same blade. You will notice that using the R41 with a steep angle leads to a faster blade wear. They are cheap enough and it's not worth to have bad shaves over a few cents. I use a blade for 3 shaves.

Congrats and welcome to the Zoo! :thumbup1:

My R41 (2013) is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm planning to leave the rosegold handle on it for awhile. They are pretty!

I've been using an old Hoffritz slant of my father's, and a Futur, set on 4, to get ready for it; to be trueful my skin is more sensitive than I would like. What blade would y'all suggest? I've pretty much got one of everything around here except Voskhod, and I would have some of those if I knew where to buy less than 100.

Thanks, Ron

My R41 (2013) is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm planning to leave the rosegold handle on it for awhile. They are pretty!

I've been using an old Hoffritz slant of my father's, and a Futur, set on 4, to get ready for it; to be trueful my skin is more sensitive than I would like. What blade would y'all suggest? I've pretty much got one of everything around here except Voskhod, and I would have some of those if I knew where to buy less than 100.

Thanks, Ron

Ron, search on eBay for Voskhod blades, I believe the minimum the sellers offer is 50 blades. You can also buy 2 x 5 blades from the Italian Barber for $2.

As for the blades, it is very hard or even impossible to recommend you the best blade. Only you can find the best blade for your skin and beard type, and that requires trial and error.
I can tell you some of the blades that work the best in my experience, not necessarily in any specific order:

Feather
Astra
Gillette Platinum
Super Iridium
BIC Chromium Platinum

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nope, the steep angle is what works the best for me too.

I would just probably add, do not try to get too many shaves with the same blade. You will notice that using the R41 with a steep angle leads to a faster blade wear. They are cheap enough and it's not worth to have bad shaves over a few cents. I use a blade for 3 shaves.

Congrats and welcome to the Zoo! :thumbup1:

That's for sure; ain't worth it...thanks again for the input.

I was using the R41 with my Weber handle, can't wait to try it with the the Kaiser short.

WHAT?!?! You got a Kaiser Short!?!!?!? Ah you are killing me right now as my UFO addiction is in full blown force. What a terrible item to develop an addiction for. :lol:
And yes pics are mandatory. :thumbup:

Just finished my first shave with my R41, went well, I guess my shaving with vintage razors has helped with my introduction to the R41. I have been shaving with many Vintage OCs - short comb, long comb and even a Segal and a Star. My first impression is that the R41 is somewhere around the Gillette Old Types as far as blade feel, however the Star I believe matched the blade aggressiveness but was no where close to the comfort the R41 had. It is nice to find an OC that gives the feel of a aggressive shave but does not nick you or cause razor burn. Very close shave, definitely in my rotation!! So does this mean I can be a member of the B.E.A.S.T.?

Just finished my first shave with my R41, went well, I guess my shaving with vintage razors has helped with my introduction to the R41. I have been shaving with many Vintage OCs - short comb, long comb and even a Segal and a Star. My first impression is that the R41 is somewhere around the Gillette Old Types as far as blade feel, however the Star I believe matched the blade aggressiveness but was no where close to the comfort the R41 had. It is nice to find an OC that gives the feel of a aggressive shave but does not nick you or cause razor burn. Very close shave, definitely in my rotation!! So does this mean I can be a member of the B.E.A.S.T.?

Hi Ron,
Good to know everything went well! Welcome to the Zoo, and take good care of the Beast! :001_smile

$718ff94d-6af0-49e6-854e-d331c15d6ce1_zps28306caf.jpg

One of my favorite set-ups.

Griest all-brass handle (3.0 inches x 5/8 inch x 111 grams)
Muhle R41 2011
Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and Muhle 23mm STF V2 brush (not shown)

All to be used, of course, with my favorite shallow angle. :wink2:

Last edited:
View attachment 440765

One of my favorite set-ups.

Griest all-brass handle (3.0 inches x 5/8 inch x 111 grams)
Muhle R41 2011
Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and Muhle 23mm STF V2 brush (not shown)

All to be used with a shallow angle. :wink2:

I wish I would have come to the DE Party sooner I want one of those Griest handles big time. Think that would be the perfect length for my liking I love the sleek no nonsense look. Any idea if they will ever be back in production?

I just got my first OC last week and LOVE it! A Parker 24C.

Now I ordered a R41 due to reading this thread.

I think my hands going to shake while testing this thing Monday night! You guys make this razor sound like it will take my face off until I tame it! Haha

Top Bottom