What's new

Flax linen bedding

Ok, I am tired to trying inferior quality bedding which seems to be a great deal based on thread count (mostly 100% cotton, but got tricked in buying a 60/40 :cursing: mix of cotton/polyester lately ), then realize within 2-3 years the cotton was inferior and you start to get holes in spots......

Has anyone tried flax linen sheets? Which brand do you recommend? They all seem to be at least $200 for a set (sometimes +$400) for king size, so if I am going to put money down, I'd prefer not to regret it right away. Also, is the qualify of the $200 noticeably less than the one at $400?

Currently, I am leaning towards the cheapest, at around $200 from e-bay.... but I am wary since I know nothing about the country of origin which is Belarus (in Europe, shares a border with Russia) and the Brand is "Len. Ok". It has a website, but it is definitely not finished or was just thrown together.

My only question is how reliable would the quality/safety of the products be since it would be in direct contact with my skin or at least 6 hours per day (not usually a concern, bur I figured better safe to sorry)....

Thank you.

You pay for quality. I know what you mean. I went through 2 sets of sheets from Target that I shredded. I went to Bed Bath & Beyond around Christmas & paid double what I paid at Target but the sheets have a 7 year warranty.

You pay for quality. I know what you mean. I went through 2 sets of sheets from Target that I shredded. I went to Bed Bath & Beyond around Christmas & paid double what I paid at Target but the sheets have a 7 year warranty.

My problem is mostly that sometimes higher price does not equal better quality. I can get some Canadian flax linen set for about $1,000 CND which is insane price for sheets, at the same time if I order from the US, it would range on the low range 220 USD from http://www.restorationhardware.com (plus 20% duty (WHY????) + 13% tax + ~12% exchange rate = 334 CND) to 380 USD (amazon.com) plus shipping and any other fees which I might get hit, so say ~500 CND.

I don't mind paying ~400 CND IF I can get something of good quality (hard to judge online), however I can get a set from e-bay for 200 USD shipping included but I have a concern due to country of origin.... it is from a country close to Chernobyl and has a government that has started to use the farm land that was contaminated back in 2005 to grow crops.... not saying these are going to be contaminated, but it could be a concern. This is one time, I wish it was made in China, lol.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I recently bought microfiber sheets off amazon.ca. they are super soft and comfy. About $60 CAD. I'm not sure if i'm fully sold on these. They certainly have not let me down and have held up very well to about 6-7 washing and dryings. for the price they are worth a shot. I would suggest having a look. I got these:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00C3MUN32/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=kitchen

here is the same set on amazon.com with near 600 reviews an 4 1/2 star rating.
http://www.amazon.com/Customers-Ama...qid=1396138722&sr=8-1&keywords=amadora+sheets

Restoration hardware is having a sale on Belgium linen sheets; $219 for a king set. I was just trying to find reviews on them. Everything I read from a couple of years ago are good reviews. The one or two newer reviews seem to indicate that they don't last as long as other brands. RoughLinen has great reviews, but they cost twice as much.

Restoration hardware is having a sale on Belgium linen sheets; $219 for a king set. I was just trying to find reviews on them. Everything I read from a couple of years ago are good reviews. The one or two newer reviews seem to indicate that they don't last as long as other brands. RoughLinen has great reviews, but they cost twice as much.

I have that exact set, also purchased on sale. They start out a little rough - if you've worn linen pants, you'll know what I mean. Once they soften a tad, they are utterly fantastic. I'll never be without.

The Belgium linen sheets at $219 was what I as eying from Restoration hardware. I think I am going to sleep on it. Just did a test run, and it would cost me 262.80 USD plus taxes (assuming it get's pickup).

A note for Canadians for www.restorationhardware.com:
"Shipments to Canada
All items ship to Canada from the US. All prices are shown in US dollars. We will add a flat 20% charge to your order to cover shipping, handling, duty and brokerage. Free shipping offers listed on our websites or in our Source Books do not apply to Canada shipments."

So 20% is not too bad if it covers shipping and duty/brokerage.

I got a set set from Restoration today. We'll see how long they last. Initial impression is that they will be good, though what do I know since I've never experienced linen sheets before. I expect they will be on the rough side until they break in. On their website, there is a set in one color for $135.00 US if I remover right. They are in the final sale section. Hope this helps.

I got a set set from Restoration today. We'll see how long they last. Initial impression is that they will be good, though what do I know since I've never experienced linen sheets before. I expect they will be on the rough side until they break in. On their website, there is a set in one color for $135.00 US if I remover right. They are in the final sale section. Hope this helps.

Did you go for the stonewashed or vintage washed?

I did see one at 136, Light Silver Sage... interesting.

Edit:

Well placed my order, Vintage-Washed sham/pillow cases (35.99) + Stonewashed Sheet set (135.99) in Light Silver Sage and a Vintage-Washed Duvet cover (135.99) in Silver Sage. Less 10% with the saving code. With the shipping/import it came to 336.92 USD ~380 CND. Not a bad price actually, especially for the duvet cover. And the lighter color under the duvet will go nice.

I guess I got lucky since, I actually like green colors. Although it is weird that the sheet set will take an extra month to get to my house (05/21/14)??? While the rest for 04/12/14...

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Came in a little too late to through my hat into the ring.

I actually have linen sheets. I find bedding to be a lot like shaving. Yeah you can get by with cheap store bought sheets... But once you try linen sheets it truly is so much better.

I bought my sheets from rough linen . I did the whole bed make over (bottom sheet, duvet, summer cover which is essentially just a thick piece of linen for the hotter months, pillow cases, and shams. I've had the best nights sleep in them. At first its a little rough, but after 3-4 washes or so they really soften up. I looked into the restoration hardware linen too, but I had read things about QC issues. I can't really speak to the truth of that, but it definitely weighed into my decision. Tracie at rough linen makes everything herself, every stitch of the fabric and picks every piece of fabric she uses. There is definitely an artisan quality to them.

I'm sure the restoration hardware sheets will be great too. Just remember to take care of them. These aren't like normal sheets--if you take care of them they will last you years. Wash them with very mild detergent--something without chemicals. You can put them in the drier, but linen dries extremely fast and you don't want to over dry them. The recommended dry is to hang dry them outside. But if you need to put them in the drier for whatever reason, check on them every 5 minutes or so and make sure they haven't "balled" up so to speak.

Other than that, enjoy them, I'm so glad I bought my sheets. Its really nice if you have a goose down comforter to put in the duvet and a goosedown pillow. I decided I'd splurge on my bedding since after all we spend so much time in there, might as well have a great nights sleep every night.

Thanks for all the information. I got the vintage wash. They will take some getting used to, but I can already see what the appeal is.

I saw the rough linen, my issue is the price. While I am sure the quality is superior, the price difference is high. One sheet is around the same as the price of the bed sheet set (on sale mind you). For what I ordered, it would cost around $800.

I figure at the price I got, I cannot complain if they are decent.

Just got the first shipment, 1/2 the order; one sham and the Duvet cover. First thing I noticed, the sham (extra pillow case) is for only one not two, dope! Just ordered a second one, the shipping is still 20% with duty so not big loss and they charge the sales tax on the final invoice so there is not surprise in the mail.

I like the package they use to sell these. They put the product in a flax linen bag which can be used for other things and it matches the color of the sheets/bedding you bought. The flax linen for vintage washed is actually a lot softer than I was expecting. If the product only gets softer with time, I think I hit the jackpot. I have had polyester or mixed polyester and cotton sheets which felt rougher than this.

Top Bottom