What's new

Slickest Cream in Your Den?

I answered this question on this thread 18 mos. ago and the answer was Spencer and Devon Sage. It was terrific and very slick and smooth.But they went 'belly up' a long time back . My new answer is Santa Maria Novella. For me,without question,its the slickest and smoothest cream I've ever used. Just a superb all around Italian cream(really a croap,I guess)

Craig

I answered this question on this thread 18 mos. ago and the answer was Spencer and Devon Sage. It was terrific and very slick and smooth.But they went 'belly up' a long time back . My new answer is Santa Maria Novella. For me,without question,its the slickest and smoothest cream I've ever used. Just a superb all around Italian cream(really a croap,I guess)

Craig

Craig, I must agree with you, I feel it is the finest crème on the market. I combine it with the Pre-Dopo SMN, if you haven't used it, try that. I am a solid SMN believer !

If I feel like getting especially slick with creams, I use pre-shave oil. I never really evaluated "slickness" in creams on their own. In terms of performance they all seem the same, the only difference being the luxury of rich fragrance of AoS and TOBS Lavender. For the price, I've had good luck with Arko Regular. I have used it as a filler mixed with the expensive varieties and it lathers well.
I skip the pre-shave oil if using soaps, since they would seem to do a quicker job of breaking the oil down. Arko does fine on its own, and I have found no reason to dabble in any other soaps.

I have a funny feeling that many judge a cream's slickness by judging its lather before it's really finished. I can get any good quality cream to be plenty slick enough simply by taking a little more time and making a wet, yogurty lather rather than a fluffy one. Once you've made a given cream as slick as it can get, there's not a huge amount of difference between them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Every cream I've tried has been plenty slick with the correct water to cream ratio. With few exceptions my experience so far has been that the more expensive products have been better: both in result and in requiring less product.

Castle Forbes is the best cream I've tried (but I have not tried the more expensive creams yet). For me it requires just about exactly half the amount of product than most creams. The Lavender and Lime are wonderful scents and the shave and finish are first rate.

T&H Ultimate Comfort is an excellent cream, and not far below CF. It may be the king of value for your dollar. For people who love strong scents this probably won't be your favorite.

GFT Coconut is nice. It's a step below, but it's a small step.

I have not used any in a couple of years, but the tub of Simpson's I had was very nice as well.

For cheaper creams you really can't go wrong with either Proraso or Cella - both fine creams.

I'm currently being lured away from creams most of the time by ABC soap. Very expensive, exceedingly small amount of product required (but I suspect still expensive) and a wonderful product.

You get what you pay for - if you're lucky. You rarely get what you don't pay for.

Every cream I've tried has been plenty slick with the correct water to cream ratio. With few exceptions my experience so far has been that the more expensive products have been better: both in result and in requiring less product.

Castle Forbes is the best cream I've tried (but I have not tried the more expensive creams yet). For me it requires just about exactly half the amount of product than most creams. The Lavender and Lime are wonderful scents and the shave and finish are first rate.

T&H Ultimate Comfort is an excellent cream, and not far below CF. It may be the king of value for your dollar. For people who love strong scents this probably won't be your favorite.

GFT Coconut is nice. It's a step below, but it's a small step.

I have not used any in a couple of years, but the tub of Simpson's I had was very nice as well.

For cheaper creams you really can't go wrong with either Proraso or Cella - both fine creams.

I'm currently being lured away from creams most of the time by ABC soap. Very expensive, exceedingly small amount of product required (but I suspect still expensive) and a wonderful product.

You get what you pay for - if you're lucky. You rarely get what you don't pay for.

I completely agree with you musicman1 re: your take on the ABC soap. I've been using it on and off for more than a year now and it is a superb product(very slick and smooth).And very little product needed for a great shave. I've only been able to buy the ABC creams and soap at the Old Time Shaving Shop(or something like that)in Pasadena,Ca. But they now sell some stuff online too. Is that where you bought yours?

Craig

Want slickness? Nivea Sensitive my friends. And Bob is your uncle.

And you will search your razor below your sink.

Top Bottom