What's new

Parker 26C

BullGoose recently had a contest where the prize was a Parker 26C. I was the lucky winner of that prize, so I wanted to start a thread to share my thoughts on this razor for anyone who is interested. I'll link this thread in the original contest thread as well.

I received the razor on Wednesday, and my initial reaction was, "wow!":

View attachment 429854

It always seemed to me that Parker was a lower-end razor, and that bias had prevented me from ever trying one before. I think with this razor they went all out to let everyone know that's just not the case. The razor has a nice heft, the knurling on the black handle is pronounced, and the chrome and black finish is as good as I've ever seen on a plated razor. I'm very impressed with the baseplate (I will add more pics later); it seems as if it was a solid piece, with the combs machined out of it. Between the curvature and machining of the plate, it has very elegant lines. When you place the blade in (again, more pics later) and tighten the handle into the top cap, you notice that there is almost NO blade gap, so to speak. The blade kind of rests on the baseplate, in a parallel curve to it. The only "gaps" are the voids in between the comb. It appears the extensive mildness this might cause will be balanced out by the considerable blade exposure.

Overall, my first impression of this razor is that it is of similar build quality to the Muhle line. I'm very impressed and can't wait to put it to good use. I've been letting my beard grow since wednesday; I want the first shave with this razor to be on several days growth so that I can see what it can do. I will shave with it either tonight (Friday, 3/28/14) or tomorrow (Saturday, 3/29/14), and report back here with my thoughts.

Last edited:
Nice! Can you tell us the specs? Handle length? Handle weight? How aggressive it shaves? I use a Merkur 1904, which the blade also rests directly on the comb, but it's a very mild shave, which I prefer. The only thing I don't like about it is the handle, too short and too light. The Parker looks great, let's hope it shaves as nice as it looks.

Nice! Can you tell us the specs? Handle length? Handle weight? How aggressive it shaves? I use a Merkur 1904, which the blade also rests directly on the comb, but it's a very mild shave, which I prefer. The only thing I don't like about it is the handle, too short and too light. The Parker looks great, let's hope it shaves as nice as it looks.

I don't have a digital scale, so I might have to try Parker for the weight. I can certainly measure it though. It is heavy; I would guess that it's solid brass.

Ok, I haven't shaved yet, but I did take some pics so I'll post those along with a few descriptions. I apologize for the pics; I rushed to take a few good ones before the Penguins game started. Also, if there is anything that doesn't make sense in this post, its because I'm watching the game while I'm posting :thumbup:.

First, the handle: Measures 3-7/8", which is just under 124mm. Its a little longer, but its hefty and well balanced. The knurling and black/chrome finish is top notch. It is a little heavier than the RazoRock Mission, but not quite as heavy as the Weber Standard. The length is the same as the Weber Standard handle. The picture below, L-R is the Weber Standard handle, Parker 26C handle, and the Edwin Jagger DE89 handle for comparison:

$Parker 26C_Handle Comparison.jpg

You can see there is a fair amount of blade exposure. Its not as much as a 2011 R41, but it is definitely more than the Gillette NEW.
$Parker 26C_Exposure.jpg

The amount of blade exposure, I think, compensates for the lack of blade gap (yes, there is a blade in the razor in this pic). The blade pretty much rests on the baseplate, so I'm eager to see how the combination of blade exposure and gap will work out.
$Parker 26C_Blade Gap.jpg

These last two pictures are just a disassembled pic and an assembled pic.
$Parker 26C_3PC.jpg
$Parker 26C_2.jpg

I tried my best, but the pictures really don't do this razor justice. This truly is a very well constructed razor, and I'm very excited to try it out. I will shave with it either tonight or tomorrow, and I will post my impressions on the shave tomorrow. If I shave tonight, it will most certainly be after the hockey game. LET'S GO PENS!

Nice write up Chris. I'm interested to see how you think it shaves.
Hopefully the Pens can pull out a win but it was scoreless at the time of writing this.

Nice, the razor looks great! I would just like to remind you that blade exposure is not the amount of blade you see... it is the amount of blade that passes the tangent line between the top cap and the guard, as seen in this picture:

View attachment 429969

and I will post my impressions on the shave tomorrow. !

Looking forward to your thoughts on the shave....actually I'm more interested in what you think after 4-5 shaves... Out of curiosity... What's your blade choice going to be?

I own a Parker 24C, the same head as the 26C. After 6 shaves with it I think it is a really nice razor. I feel it's about medium on the aggression scale. Smooth but with enough of aggression. I like short handles so I put a Parker 94R short handle on mine. So far after 6 shaves it is my favorite razor.

$Parker OC.jpg

I wonder...would the EJ 89 or Merkur 1904 handle fit the head?....I like a shorter handle as well.

Out of curiosity... What's your blade choice going to be?

Personna Med-Prep. Phil threw a couple in the box with the razor, and as I've never used them before (I know, I know), I figured it was time to give 'em a shot.

Nuke - I've seen that diagram a few times. I know that the technical term for blade exposure is not the visible amount of blade. I just don't know a better way to word, "the amount of blade that sticks out on either side of the top cap if you look straight down at it."

Huh, idle curiosity...I wonder where the head is made. The only extra-long stud I've encountered is with the Razorock/Cadet. This does NOT look like that head, but I wonder if it's made in India. Anyone know?

I would also be interested in efficiency/aggression compared to the Cadet.

I just checked with mine. The EJ works fine but the Merkur 1904 does not. The stud on the Parker is a little longer than most.

Huh, idle curiosity...I wonder where the head is made. The only extra-long stud I've encountered is with the Razorock/Cadet. This does NOT look like that head, but I wonder if it's made in India. Anyone know?

I would also be interested in efficiency/aggression compared to the Cadet.

Aren't all Parker razors made in India? :confused1 At least I thought so...

I didn't know. I haven't had much interest in them in the past, but now it's got my attention. I'm wondering if the longer stud is an Indian standard.

I didn't know. I haven't had much interest in them in the past, but now it's got my attention. I'm wondering if the longer stud is an Indian standard.

I own a few 3 piece parkers as well as some cadets. All are made in india but the parkers have normal stud lengths- can't speak for the OC Though.

I'm glad people are interested in these razors- they have a spotty history but have been putting out high quality razors for a few years now.

I own a few 3 piece parkers as well as some cadets. All are made in india but the parkers have normal stud lengths- can't speak for the OC Though.

I'm glad people are interested in these razors- they have a spotty history but have been putting out high quality razors for a few years now.

I have read this too, they had many issues with QC before, but in recent years they have been consistently releasing good quality razors, at very good prices btw.
My question is ... are these brass?

We are all sitting on the edge of our chairs. PGHChris, how did the shave go? Do you like it?

I actually decided to wait until a little later this afternoon. My beard doesn't grow as fast as most, and I wanted to make sure I had a decent amount for the shave.

As for the stud length- it is very long, just like my 2011 R41. Also, the shape of the baseplate and top cap are VERY similar to the R41. Coincidence?

Top Bottom