What's new

Getting ready to smoke my first Beef Brisket

Wow, that is one heck of a nice looking first attempt! I wish I could say the same for my first attempt at brisket!! Nice job, it had a nice smoke ring, looked to be cooked about as perfectly as one could hope for, and had some nice jucies on it. Great job!

What cut does one use for pulled pork.

Most use a boston butt.

I cannot wait to see your pulled pork. Brisket is good, and I will never turn it away, but pork takes the smoke much better, IMO. What cut does one use for pulled pork.

Pork Shoulder... also called pork Butt.

10 bonus points for the reason its called butt. (no google fu!)

Congratulations, Bruce! I've been following this thread as last week I was researching how to smoke a brisket and was a little overwhelmed. Going to subscribe to this thread so I can review when I go for it!

Nice job. It only gets better with more practice.

Wow, that is one heck of a nice looking first attempt! I wish I could say the same for my first attempt at brisket!! Nice job, it had a nice smoke ring, looked to be cooked about as perfectly as one could hope for, and had some nice jucies on it. Great job!

Looks great, Bruce, congrats!

Thanks and we now have the second half in the freezer to try again when the craving hits us.

Congratulations, Bruce! I've been following this thread as last week I was researching how to smoke a brisket and was a little overwhelmed. Going to subscribe to this thread so I can review when I go for it!

Leading up to the smoke was much more stressful then the actual smoke. As Jim said right off the hop, "Relax, it's just BBQ".

I over thought as I usually do, a lot of the process. In the end it truly was "Low & Slow" and you'll do fine too. My biggest worry was when the meat was rising quicker then I thought it would and then it held at that temp for a long time. Turns out this is normal for it to "plateau" and you just let it do its thing.

It was a blast and gives me confidence to do a longer one next time (not that our family would need) or more likely, try my hand at a Pork Butt.

Bruce, while it is fresh in your mind you may want to write this cook up- keep a log on them. Next time only change one thing... sound familiar? and log that into the book.. over time you can develop your own style. As an example next cook no foil or foil much later.. see how that works out.

Excellent idea Jim. It was part of the reason I documented so much here during the smoke but I will log it all in a spreadsheet or Journal with FP in B&B style and track my smokes.

I actually have a little book with my grilling tweaks and times that I have developed and found that work (times, temps, doneness, rest times etc).

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bruce, your pictures made me so hungry I just ate two brisket sandwiches from a pretty good local joint.

Bruce, your pictures made me so hungry I just ate two brisket sandwiches from a pretty good local joint.

Ha...glad I inspired you.

We just had some left over brisket sandwiches with some more slaw pilled on top of them.

It's pretty much all gone now.

proxy.php

Those pictures...
proxy.php

I tried a few times, years ago, but my results were nowhere near that good. I have a Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Grill charcoal/water smoker. I had trouble getting steady heat from its charcoal bowl. I could stoke it up hot, then come back later and find it cold. Older and wiser, and I think with access to better charcoal than Kingsford, I should try again...when the weather is hot and not windy.

proxy.php

Those pictures...
proxy.php

I tried a few times, years ago, but my results were nowhere near that good. I have a Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Grill charcoal/water smoker. I had trouble getting steady heat from its charcoal bowl. I could stoke it up hot, then come back later and find it cold. Older and wiser, and I think with access to better charcoal than Kingsford, I should try again...when the weather is hot and not windy.

If you Google it, there are a bunch of mods to make the brinkman run better. Get back on that horse!

If you Google it, there are a bunch of mods to make the brinkman run better. Get back on that horse!

I used the "Mods" here to help make mine better and it worked. :a44:

Agreed though...there are many mods you can do to smokers. I had picked up a Brinkmann small drum smoker a couple years ago from Costco but ended up returning before using. I remember searching and seeing a lot of tips and tricks for making them better.

Just of of curiosity are you by chance the same 'Jim' I saw giving brisket advise on a few of the BBQ and Smoker forums(barbecuebible for example) when I Googled for help?

Last edited:
I have yet to run a brisket. I only use my weber kettle to smoke and am still a noob but it does an awesome job. Just a little finicky on temps sometimes. I bought a couple small 3lb chickens to smoke on monday for the first time. Brisket is definitely on the list still to tackle. Did pulled pork last weekend that turned out phenomenal.

The cook is done. Its been carved, eaten and left overs are on deck for 'beef on a bun' tomorrow.

All signs point to it be successful. Thumbs up from one of the kids, the other had seconds and said it was "better then steak" and my wife said it was great. She'd have let me know if it was too smokey or too dry, she even went back for more.

We had a side of slaw and beans, kids had it with buns. Just regular BBQ fixings, nothing fancy.

Again, with nothing to compare it to, it's difficult to say if I need to tweak anything.

It was an appropriate temp on the plate, easy to cut, lots of juices flowing when I was slicing it and most of all....it was ultra tasty. I almost jumped out of my skin with excitement when I made the first cust, knife sliced through it with ease and the smoke ring made it's appearance.

Again, and I can't repeat this enough, Thanks to all of you for helping guide me through this and putting up with all my questions and pics and making it a fun thread and smoke.

Feel free to let me have it if you see something that looks like it needs work or something for me to keep in mind for the next one.

So here is the big reveal:

View attachment 432459View attachment 432460View attachment 432461View attachment 432462View attachment 432463
Salivating.....:p:p:p

Top Bottom