What's new

Getting ready to smoke my first Beef Brisket

After years or wanting to smoke one, seeing the glorious pics of Beef Brisket's (here and here and here and Jim's here) I called our butcher and put in an order for a small 8-10 Beef Brisket that may be ready as early as Monday. My plan is to smoke it on Spring Break so I have a few days to plan and research rubs, injections (if necessary), trimming and cutting.

Once the Beef arrives, I'll take a weight, a few pics and document my first long smoke here. Hopefully it is edible...that's really all I am hoping for the first time.

Nervous and excited to smoke something longer then 4hrs like I do with ribs and hope this is the start of many more long smokes this year. It will be done on a Vision Kamado Ceramic Grill with Lump Charcoal and some wood chunks.

In the mean time, if anyone has any sure fire tips, tricks or rubs they want to share...feel free to share.

Bruce

Slow and low. Sounds simple, but that is why I am nervous when doing brisket. No matter what, it will be edible on a kamodo. Keep that temp at about 200. My kamado Joe likes to try and get warmer after about 8 hours. I bought a BBQ guru to help with that. It works great!

Relax its just BBQ..

Got a rub made up?

I know, I know. I'm sure it will turn out fine as most stuff off the BBQ does. I made sure to tell the Butcher I was going to be smoking it and he seemed to know what I was after.

No rub planned yet, would prefer one not overly spicy as the kiddies will be eating it too. S&P, Garlic based would go over best.

My mouth is already starting to salivate.

I'll keep the rub simply but liberal as they usually like a good amount of seasoning.

This one went over like Gangbusters on my Steak a few months ago and everyone was eating off my plate :angry: but I guess that's a good sign.

Measurements would have to be adjusted, but how does this look for a Beef Brisket Rub? If it tasted goon on a steak (which I normally do not put a rub on), it should taste good on a brisket too.

• 2 T Ground Paprika
• 2 T Sea Salt
• 1 T Ground Black Pepper
• 1 t Garlic Powder
• 1 t Ground Oregano
• 1 t Brown Sugar

That looks good. Here's one of mine.

Rub
6 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper

12 teaspoons brown sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons paprika
3 heaping teaspoon mild chili powder
3 teaspoon onion powder
3 teaspoon dried oregano
3 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

This rub is just a good basic not to spicey brisket rub. The wife and kids aren't real big fans of the heat and this works well for them.

Rub 12 to 24 hours ahead of time. You can use some light olive oil or other vegetable oil to help the rub adhere, but I never have. Cook at or around 225. You can try to cook it without foiling but, for your first time, I wouldn't. When the meat plateaus, around 150 degrees, foil it. Pull the brisket off the smoker at 185 and let it rest for a couple of hours before carving. I mop my brisket during cooking, but a lot of guys don't.

A little piece of advice, don't try to cook it for a specific meal. It's too much stress. The meat will be done when its done and, in my opinion, until you get a few under your belt it's best to reheat it to eat later. Start your brisket in the morning and have plans to eat something else for dinner. When the brisket is done sample it to your heart's content and then save it to reheat for lunch. You want things to be as smooth as possible your first time. Things never go exactly as planned and if too many problems pop up you may never try it again.

A wise man once told me that you can't cook brisket or butt without a beer. If you're not drinking you get stressed. If you're stressed the meat is stressed. If the meat is stressed it won't cook right.
:tongue_sm

^ Thanks for the awesome advise Everyone...it's much appreciated and helps me a lot :thumbup1:

I was thinking the same thing a few of you have stated. I'll start one morning and when it's done it's done. We will plan a supper and eat this as a snack or side or just for fun. If it's done in 6 hours, great. if it's done it 10 hrs great. We will eat and enjoy whenever it's ready.

That above rub looks fantastic too. I've been doing a bit of reading and Borderdogs times, temps, foiling is confirming what I wanted to hear and was hoping to do.

The new Maverick Thermometer will be making it's first use with brisket too. A couple firsts for me with this smoke.

Watch out for those mavericks. The doggone things are so handy you'll find yourself trying to figure out a way to use it in ribs just because you have one.

The size of brisket that you've got coming will be great for you. The 8-10 pound range should keep your cook time reasonable. I cooked a 17 pounder once....once.

Watch out for those mavericks. The doggone things are so handy you'll find yourself trying to figure out a way to use it in ribs just because you have one.

The size of brisket that you've got coming will be great for you. The 8-10 pound range should keep your cook time reasonable. I cooked a 17 pounder once....once.

Thanks and good to know. A good probe thermometer has been on my wish list for a while. Last year I picked up the Thermapen for Christmas and this year, my wife got me the Maverick ET-733.

I can't wait to use it. :tongue_sm

Bruce, Here's a link to my go to brisket rub. This guys pork rub is also a staple that I use on pork/chicken/fish.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

Also, I'm a big proponent of foiling brisket when it hits 165. To me it makes a huge difference. Also, remember when you're done to remove a little bark to see the grain and cut across it.

I love the sounds and look of that rub. The before and after pics have me licking the screen.

Foiling when it hits a good temp (varying reports of 150-185 so far) will be a sure thing! Thanks for the tip on checking the grain with the bark lift, I had never heard of that.

Last edited:
Brisket is the toughest cut to get right. Boston butt is the easiest. Good luck with this and post lots of pictures!

I use McCormick steak seasoning for brisket. Don't go to low on temps, it has a tendency to dry beef out. Try to keep it around 240° to 250°, works great for me.

I use McCormick steak seasoning for brisket. Don't go to low on temps, it has a tendency to dry beef out. Try to keep it around 240° to 250°, works great for me.

I keep hearing this from guys who smoke a lot. I feel like I have done quite a bit, but I get frustrated not being able to keep my temps at 200-225. I thought brisket was the one cut that was supposed to be low. I've found that most of my meats do well at 240-250, but haven't tried a brisket for that specific reason. I just can't keep my Kamodo that low after about 8 hours. The coals just get going too much. I have heard the smaller size smokers stay lower longer.

I do mine hot quite often, I start at 225 and work my way slowly to 325. The key thing is to let the meat tell you when its done, its not a temperature its a feeling with the probe. like butta.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There is a bit of magic that happens somewhere in the 190 range . . . help me guys with the timing . . . where the connective tissue changes from stretchy to tender jelly. This is what needs to be archived. I don't think I've seen coriander mentioned yet. An even mix of black pepper, coriander, salt, and instacure worked well for me for the weekend just before St. Patrick's day. ( I was pressure cooking)

The collagen in the meat starts breaking down in the meat in the 190 range and that is what's needed to make for a tender brisket. I take mine up to 205°.

Top Bottom