What's new

Anybody use more than one razor per shave?

Ok, so this seems like overkill... But...

I just recently purchased a Muhle R41 and the BBS I get from it lasts in a way I don't really believe should be possible. But the first pass is just plain uncomfortable. The last 2 are just fine and the result is fantastic. I miss my slant though because it is so comfortable to shave with and that definitely matters to me. So my thought is:

1st pass with slant
2nd and 3rd with R41

Does anybody else have a similar routine?

I do on occasion use more than one razor (choice between Merkur 1904 Classic, Gillette SS, and Gem Jr SE). For me, it is not a matter of routine or necessity, just a matter of an occasional whim.

The only time I throw a change-up is when using an adjustable. My latter passes I make less aggressive.

Right now I use a 2 blade disposable on my lower neck because that's the only thing that doesn't give me irritation.

I still try with my M1 on weekends and am getting closer but not there yet

The times that i keep a trimmed beard, i use an injector to shape out the line. And then a regular DE to shave.

I had the same problem with the R41. So, I used the R89 for the first pass and finished the last 2 passes with the 41. I have recently parted ways with the 41 and replaced it with an iKon deluxe which, for me, is still aggressive but not brutal. Of course YMMV so I would suggest doing whatever gets you that BBS!

Any time I try a new razor, I'll use it for the 1st pass only, 2nd & 3rd pass with whatever razor I was using before. After a few shaves with the new razor I get the hang of it and use just the new razor.
Oh yeah, almost forgot. I use the Feather Popular on my head. So sometimes I use 3 razors.

Last edited:
Everyday. Start WTG with a SR, then do the ATG with a DE or SE. I am basically able to use my entire collection that way.

I'll occasionally use the DE89 for the first pass and then use the R41 (2011) for the last pass. Interesting to still hear the blade.

However, since I've got the hang of the R41, I'm getting smooth shaves and it's becoming my favorite razor over the DE89. However, I'll still use the DE89 a couple times a week.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Quite frequently. I am able to shave twice a day, and I have enough razors that I often did, just to make sure they all got used. But the second shave of the day isn't strictly necessary, and is more of a chore than the first. So lately I've been shaving once, with two razors, and that's working just fine. It depends on what razors I'm using.

I start with a Merkur Slant and switch to a Dorco Pace 4 for ATG and touch ups. That's the only way I can get A BBS shave.

Don't get me wrong I have no issue getting a great shave from a number of razors. But the R41 gives me a repeatable BBS lasting for hours longer than say the 8 hour BBS I get from my slants or gillette new. Anyway... I know I'll give it a go... was just curious if it was common. With time I might figure out how to make that first pass with the R41 smoother like AETProf... Maybe a different angle on WTG.

Or like hotreds I'll just find a reason to use everything :laugh:

Before the R41 (either version) and the ATT H2, I would occasionally use the Shave a Buck Futur clone on my neck and a different razor for my face.

Top Bottom