What's new

Anybody use more than one razor per shave?

I use a Tech for touching up. As much as I like my Gem 1912 - the acrobatics it takes to get it shave everything under the nose is just too much. The tech will get everything in one motion that the 1912 can't get with three or more swipes of varying complexity.

I always use three razors, the HeadBlade, Gillette Guard, and ProGlide. Two passes with the HB headshaving than one pass with the Guard on the face and then two passes with the ProGlide. BBS with no irritation every time. I shave every other day.

I'm wondering why the R41 is so uncomfortable on the first pass? This is not the first thread that I have read this observation. I have never shaved with one and am intrigued. Because of it's aggressiveness it would make sense to me if the first pass was fine and then subsequent passes uncomfortable, but obviously this is not the case.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks.

Had the same problem with R41 2013, so 1st pass was with EJ DE89. My remedy is:
- first pass with R41 needs very short strokes, blade buffing is ok too. Sure it is wtg pass, very slow one, and it should not shave everything with it. Steep angle, handle looks to my toes.
- 2nd pass wtg again
- 3rd pass I can go any direction I want. Atg goes better with shallow angle

And today I found the good helping answer about the blade angle - my question was why steep angle of R41 is good for 1st pass wtg, and no effect on 3rd pass atg - here is a link:
http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Shaving_passes#The_finer_points_of_cutting_angles

hope that could help.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why the R41 is so uncomfortable on the first pass? This is not the first thread that I have read this observation. I have never shaved with one and am intrigued. Because of it's aggressiveness it would make sense to me if the first pass was fine and then subsequent passes uncomfortable, but obviously this is not the case.

Can someone please enlighten me?
Thanks.

The first pass issue almost feels like the blade is getting caught and wants to skip. It makes my usually very steady hand unsteady which makes it worse. My guess is that with the extra blade exposure and how it sticks out a bit the blade gives a little bit. My guess is these are my problems:

1. I need a different blade angle on the first pass.
2. More beard prep is needed.. Perhaps it gets easier because after the first lather things just give a little more.
3. As Gytis said my strokes are probably to long.

Problem is, I am a last minute morning shaver and often just don't have the time. And in other cases I am so used to not having to change things up for different razors. I still love the thing though, really great design. I will continue to try to find the right separate technique for the first pass. But I think when pressed for time, the trusty ol' slant is gonna need to come out first.

The first pass issue almost feels like the blade is getting caught and wants to skip. It makes my usually very steady hand unsteady which makes it worse. My guess is that with the extra blade exposure and how it sticks out a bit the blade gives a little bit. My guess is these are my problems:

1. I need a different blade angle on the first pass.
2. More beard prep is needed.. Perhaps it gets easier because after the first lather things just give a little more.
3. As Gytis said my strokes are probably to long.

Problem is, I am a last minute morning shaver and often just don't have the time. And in other cases I am so used to not having to change things up for different razors. I still love the thing though, really great design. I will continue to try to find the right separate technique for the first pass. But I think when pressed for time, the trusty ol' slant is gonna need to come out first.
Interesting. Without having used the R41, I think either blade angle or length of stroke is the key. I must say that most of the people that have commented on the R41 view it as a razor that they need to take their time and not rush things and a razor that most view as NOT a daily driver. If it is indeed a present, I will need to keep these things in mind as I acquaint myself with it. Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom