I recently procured a Gillette Adjustable from ebay and decided to begin using it this week while I was on the road. My only DE experience is with my trusty Merkur HD with Merkur blades. It shaves like a dream, but I decided to branch out a bit.
Each day my shave consisted of:
- Lots of hot water
- Vulfix #2233
- GFT Limes (M, W, F) or Musgo Real (Tu, Th)
- Gillette Adjustable w/ Merkur blade
- GFT Coral Skin Food
The first day worked okay, but not as good as with my HD.
After that, every day left a strange combo of stubble and razor burn. Today was the absolute worst. I would bring the razor over my whiskers and it would barely cut any of them.
I radically changed the settings, ranging from 1 to 9. One day I would start at 3 which didn't cut much hair, then would raise it to 5 and then 7 and 9, but none of the settings seemed to get the job done.
So here's where I need some guidance from my fellow wet shavers:
- Do Merkur blades just not work well in a Gillette adjustable? Would you recommend trying another brand? (I've never used anything else.)
- Do I need to change the blade more often? (I usually switch it every Monday after 6-7 shaves.)
- What setting would you recommend, since I'm used to the HD?
- Is it possible I just got a bum razor? Nothing looks wrong with it at all, but who knows?
Thanks for any and all advice!