What's new

KIEHL's in Montreal

Was walking on Ste-Catherine's today, they opened up a store on the corner of Ste-Catherine and McGill Univeristy. Pretty cool, pricey though.

I asked for some samples and all she gave me was an ASB after taking down all my info: cheapo!

I got this thing where I really like buying from outfits who were generous with their samples, and the opposite is even more true.

Pretty surprising to me. Normally they are very giving with samples. I have two close to me and both definitely hand them out.

Some of the most overpriced very average products I've tried.

I completely disagree with you. If you are talking about shaving products, I agree (their shaving products are very average_. But the general statement about their products being average is pretty misleading. I have been using many of their face washes, scrubs, eye creams, etc. for the past few years. I have been on a hunt for the past ten years or so for the best products in the market that will give me the most value, and Kiehl's has fallen into this category. Are they expensive? Yes. BUT, a little goes a long way. Their facial fuel face wash for instance, runs me about 17.50 and lasts 5 months (using it two times a day), which ends up being a great value (it is fantastic as a pre-shave cleanser) as well. Their eye cream gets rid of dark lines. Their facial scrub is a great exfoliator. Their moisturizer works very well. I could go on and on. So, I think that if you were to compare price and how long the product will last for you, you will find that you will get some excellent value out of a lot of the Kiehl's products vs. other products in the market. Is it the very best? Probably not. Is it a great value for the price? Sure as hell is. It is pretty irritating when people make canned comments about an entire product line without trying more than a handful of items that are offered.

Hmm ... well this is a shaving forum.

I was given samples of their preshave oil, two shave creams and a balm before I even asked at Holt's Sherway Gardens (Toronto). Too bad the company store wasn't as generous.

I really shd get around to trying them, but my right hand is tightly closed around a bowl of Penhaligon's English Fern. Every morning I get up and try to rub the letters of the cake, to no avail ...

Hmm ... well this is a shaving forum.

I was given samples of their preshave oil, two shave creams and a balm before I even asked at Holt's Sherway Gardens (Toronto). Too bad the company store wasn't as generous.

I really shd get around to trying them, but my right hand is tightly closed around a bowl of Penhaligon's English Fern. Every morning I get up and try to rub the letters of the cake, to no avail ...

I always leave with bags full of samples when I go to the Queen St or Younge/Eglinton store. Just know what you want to try and ask away. I hate their shaving stuff but enjoy most of the facial stuff.

I completely disagree with you. If you are talking about shaving products, I agree (their shaving products are very average_. But the general statement about their products being average is pretty misleading. I have been using many of their face washes, scrubs, eye creams, etc. for the past few years. I have been on a hunt for the past ten years or so for the best products in the market that will give me the most value, and Kiehl's has fallen into this category. Are they expensive? Yes. BUT, a little goes a long way. Their facial fuel face wash for instance, runs me about 17.50 and lasts 5 months (using it two times a day), which ends up being a great value (it is fantastic as a pre-shave cleanser) as well. Their eye cream gets rid of dark lines. Their facial scrub is a great exfoliator. Their moisturizer works very well. I could go on and on. So, I think that if you were to compare price and how long the product will last for you, you will find that you will get some excellent value out of a lot of the Kiehl's products vs. other products in the market. Is it the very best? Probably not. Is it a great value for the price? Sure as hell is. It is pretty irritating when people make canned comments about an entire product line without trying more than a handful of items that are offered.

First off, I've tried several products, as well as had comments from others who have use their proucts. While my comments were directed at their shaving products (and I should have been clear on that point), I think the company's other products are very expensive and are just ok. I also think that there are products that work just as well or better that sell for less.

I also have gone into a couple of the stores, and found the staff snooty and, contrary to the experiences of others have had no luck getting samples.

While you are entitled to your opinion - and I'm glad Kiehl's work for you - I think its not appropriate or gentlemanly to make comments assuming I've not tried other products or dismissing the fact that I don't share your opinion of these products.

The purpose of the initial post was to solicit feedback about the brand - good and bad - not just views that you agree with.

First off, I've tried several products, as well as had comments from others who have use their proucts. While my comments were directed at their shaving products (and I should have been clear on that point), I think the company's other products are very expensive and are just ok. I also think that there are products that work just as well or better that sell for less.

I also have gone into a couple of the stores, and found the staff snooty and, contrary to the experiences of others have had no luck getting samples.

While you are entitled to your opinion - and I'm glad Kiehl's work for you - I think its not appropriate or gentlemanly to make comments assuming I've not tried other products or dismissing the fact that I don't share your opinion of these products.

The purpose of the initial post was to solicit feedback about the brand - good and bad - not just views that you agree with.

While I understand the intent of your post, I don't believe that I was "ungentlemenly"...if you make general comments about an entire product line and aren't specific in your points, then comments like mine should be expected. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. However, you were vague in your first post and I had to disagree with you. I am also entitled to disagree with certain opinions. And yes, their shave cream isn't that great. No offense to you intended.

While I understand the intent of your post, I don't believe that I was "ungentlemenly"...if you make general comments about an entire product line and aren't specific in your points, then comments like mine should be expected. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. However, you were vague in your first post and I had to disagree with you. I am also entitled to disagree with certain opinions. And yes, their shave cream isn't that great. No offense to you intended.

Diggity,

all Chris posted was that, (and I'm going to type this without referring to his original post so as to show what I got from it)

Some of (Kiehl's lineup) was the most average overpriced products I've tried.

Please allow me to highlight a few points without your taking any offense to what I'm going to type here, as offending you or anyone on this forum would be the last of my intentions - if at all on the list.

Firstly, when it comes to posting our opinions about products, one can never stress just how much mileage varies. One day you'll read reviews about people agreeing about a product's performance and then find the same people totally disagreeing about another. Not to mention how much this aspect of criticism is accentuated when we're talking about same product line but in a different flavours (same company, same item, different fragrance). All of the above is really brought into context when you yourself have tried the item in question and come to post your own appreciated opinion. All of this to say that when Chris posted his take on Kiehl's items, I and many others here took it with a grain of salt (but appreciated it nonetheless - pace Chris! :blush:) knowing that Chris' results could never be perfectly identical to mine with every item, and even more so when all other arguments are factored in (genetics, experience with various ingredients and scents, et cetera...)

Now, in line with what was firstly stated, since Chris is simply throwing his 2 cents' worth, why would it be irritating to you if Kiehl's products simply didn't work for him - or put bluntly; he simply didn't think much of them? Would it not be more irritating for all of us if everyone posted great things about every product when that was not actually the experience? I particularly like it when I disagree with someone's review of a product, as it gives me the chance to voice my take on it from another angle altogether. Variety: spice of life - even with opinions and reviews! :wink:

Lastly, in all fairness, you posted your first response to Chris' post without actually knowing just how much or little of Kiehl's products he's tried, and it "sounded" a bit like you were flaming back at him. I only mention this in light of the fact that it is very hard for us to get the whole communication thing across in typed format: I find emotion icons help out a lot! :wink:

Either way, I'll be back at Kiehl's someday soon and will ask for the manager and confront them in a friendly manner about their sample policy :biggrin:.

Diggity,

all Chris posted was that, (and I'm going to type this without referring to his original post so as to show what I got from it)

Please allow me to highlight a few points without your taking any offense to what I'm going to type here, as offending you or anyone on this forum would be the last of my intentions - if at all on the list.

Firstly, when it comes to posting our opinions about products, one can never stress just how much mileage varies. One day you'll read reviews about people agreeing about a product's performance and then find the same people totally disagreeing about another. Not to mention how much this aspect of criticism is accentuated when we're talking about same product line but in a different flavours (same company, same item, different fragrance). All of the above is really brought into context when you yourself have tried the item in question and come to post your own appreciated opinion. All of this to say that when Chris posted his take on Kiehl's items, I and many others here took it with a grain of salt (but appreciated it nonetheless - pace Chris! :blush:) knowing that Chris' results could never be perfectly identical to mine with every item, and even more so when all other arguments are factored in (genetics, experience with various ingredients and scents, et cetera...)

Now, in line with what was firstly stated, since Chris is simply throwing his 2 cents' worth, why would it be irritating to you if Kiehl's products simply didn't work for him - or put bluntly; he simply didn't think much of them? Would it not be more irritating for all of us if everyone posted great things about every product when that was not actually the experience? I particularly like it when I disagree with someone's review of a product, as it gives me the chance to voice my take on it from another angle altogether. Variety: spice of life - even with opinions and reviews! :wink:

Lastly, in all fairness, you posted your first response to Chris' post without actually knowing just how much or little of Kiehl's products he's tried, and it "sounded" a bit like you were flaming back at him. I only mention this in light of the fact that it is very hard for us to get the whole communication thing across in typed format: I find emotion icons help out a lot! :wink:

Either way, I'll be back at Kiehl's someday soon and will ask for the manager and confront them in a friendly manner about their sample policy :biggrin:.

Point well taken, no offense taken. I guess I read into his comment as being about general products: "Some of the most overpriced very average products I've tried." No intent to flame. I just know a lot of people that love their products and think that most of their product line is very good and a very good value. Looks like we will agree to disagree on this one.

Point well taken, no offense taken. I guess I read into his comment as being about general products: "Some of the most overpriced very average products I've tried." No intent to flame. I just know a lot of people that love their products and think that most of their product line is very good and a very good value. Looks like we will agree to disagree on this one.

Indeed! This Laphroaig 10's for you! :biggrin:

No harm no foul.

What's good about this board is that people give feedback - both good and bad about just about every product. Its the combination of the two that gives others a balanced view so they can decide if they want to spend their money on something.

If we only allowed postive reviews/comments, it wouldn't help anyone - including vendor members, several of who use constructive feedback to modify their recipes, create new products.

Dropped by the other day to pick up some samples.
Earlier posters were right, they're quite stingy and also wanted my name/number. I was able to get a couple of face wash and moisturizer samples, but only one "brushless" shave cream sample. Apparently, they didn't have any samples of the "brush" shave cream. :frown:

I've been to a bunch of stores and at each one people were just stuffing samples into whatever bag of mine they could. I've never had a problem with getting samples of any product I was curious about. Also, I think there products are very reasonably priced. Lets be honest here. If you are paying 3$ for wal-mart face wash your going to cringe at 15$ face wash and the like goes for every other product of theirs. They are a premium company with premium products, not mass marketed super-market stuff. From all the products I've tried, I've had good results, whether I liked their product or not. I didnt like some of their face washes because of the texture/smell, but they did an exelent job. I am now fixated on their Facial Fuel moisturizer. The stuff is great after a shave and has a cooling menthol feeling. YMMV, but I personally like the company. You must pay premium prices for premium products.

Top Bottom