What's new

Help keep me accountable!

Good morning all! I have come to the conclusion that I need to change some things in my life to be healthier. This is my thread to allow me to track my progress and allow you guys to keep me accountable for making it happen.

I have vague goals at the moment, but will have them solidified by Sunday. I have a body fat caliper coming in tomorrow. This weekend on Sunday I will be taking my weight and body fat percentage along with a picture. I will post these once a week every Sunday. From these I will derive my goals. Right now I would ballpark my weight at 173 lbs at 5'10".

So far my vague goals are to loose body fat, yet to determine how much but I would like to get into the healthy range down near athletic, I believe that’s around 15% for a male my age, 31. I also want to become stronger, I have never had much strength, have been a stick most of my life until I have become more sedentary. I specifically want to focus on upper body strength as I have always had lower body strength. I want a more toned definition and more sculpted appearance.

How I plan to achieve this:

Change my diet, while I don’t have a bad diet now it could stand to be better. I don’t eat a lot of sweets or junk or sodas, but I do like food and a decent amount of it. Luckily I have a decent metabolism to take care of that. I like my carbs! That’s going to be the hardest part for me. I will be moving to a more paleo styled diet. I won’t be giving up dairy because this seems to be a gray area and frankly I don’t get the rational, plus this has been shown to lead to lactose intolerance. I will be eliminating grains and the low nutritional value carbs and replace them with lower GL carbs with more nutritional value; fruits, veggies, sweet potatoes. I will start off by allowing myself three cheat meals; one breakfast, lunch, and dinner. These can be at any point during the week. If that’s not enough I might move to a more 80/20 with six cheat meals. I will not be removing alcohol, let’s face it I just like it too darn much! I also only drink in moderation so that’s not a huge problem.

Exercise, I plan on lifting doing compound movements. Working individual muscles is for the birds, way too much effort for little gain. My current plan is low reps, high weight. Basic core work outs including squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench-press, pull ups, and chin ups. I will be going to the gym to lift MWF in the morning before work. I will be supplementing this with cardio on off days and the weekend, though I most likely will not start at an everyday cardio. The cardio might include swimming, elliptical, bike, brisk walk, hike, etc.

As I haven’t lifted in a long time and have no serious instruction, I will start off light, get my form down then start putting on the weight. I hope to have a day session at my gym with one of the staff showing me proper technique and form. I have also signed up for another online service that walks people from the beginning of all these elements through becoming proficient. One of the most frustrating parts about getting into fitness and lifting is everything assumes you have prior knowledge and an intermediate experience. The site mentioned above starts you off like you have never stepped foot in a gym before which is good. They assist with workout plans for a novice and move you up to an intermediate level.

Wow, this has been a really long initial post. Thanks for listening and I look forward to the journey!

Soccer Guy,

A few tips. Over 2012 I went from 238 lbs & about 17 or 18% bodyfat (BF) to 192 & 6.1%. During that year, I turned 49 and my abs were visible for the first time in 30 years.

How much time do you have to work out? How flexible is your schedule? What motivated you to do this?

First, as far as proper form, "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe is as fine a resource as you will find. As far as "big lift" form, trainers at commercial gyms can be hit and miss. There are plenty of fine ones out there, but there are many who are a bit lacking. Other fine authors / youtubers are Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline. No doubt other B&B members will chime in.

As far as cardio, avoid the treadmill/elliptical as much as possible. The treadmill switches "off" your hamstrings and glutes, which are your "run engine." The elliptical uses momentum and forces your body to move along a fixed path. You know a great form of cardio that I love? Sprinting. I will pop several Russian style kettlebell swings, then sprint 40 to 60 yards. After doing this about 10 or 12 times, I know that I have had a workout and the rest of the day I definitely feel it in my breathing! Nothing excessive, just need an occasional deep breath.

First, dial in the diet. A couple cheat meals a week while you are adapting will be good. Occasionally you can have a taste of something you really like (for me it was a spoon or two of natural peanut butter) if you are seriously jonesing.

You certainly have a good idea of what to eat/not eat. How I simplified it was simply "cut the flour & cut the sugar." Remember, alcohol pretty much acts as a sugar. It has no place in a serious diet. Sure, a beer or three one night every couple weeks or so is fine. Weekly, not so much. It's just too easy to go from one night a week to a couple nights every few weeks to a couple nights a week and so on . . . . . . . .

You will occasionally "fall off the bike and skin your knee." As long as you don't use that as an excuse to wallow in a bucket of ice cream or go whole hog into some other dietary no-no, it's no big deal. Simply get up, dust yourself off, get back on the bike and start pedaling again. You're 31, this is something that you can do for the rest of your life. Case in point:

When I was about 33, I was doing pullups in a commercial gym. There were a couple of older guys next to me and I could tell by their banter that they were good dudes. The older one was doing 110 lb tricep press downs. I said "man, I hope I'm that strong when I'm 50." He said "FIFTY!! I'm 77!!" He was of course not big, but was definitely lean and very strong . . at 77! His name was Al and we became buds. I remember incline benching 275 with Al spotting me. He could definitely handle it. Bottom line, when I met Al, I realized for the first time that I could lift for the rest of my life.

You have to hold yourself accountable. You have to get up and get to the gym when you don't want to. Post your workouts on the "what was your workout today sticky." That holds you accountable! Once you are regularly posting your workout, the folks normally posting there will notice when you don't post. Yes, we all need off days. However, when the off days start coming a little too frequently, folks notice.

I'm fortunate. I am in the military and have a couple groups with whom I work out. We hold each other accountable and help each other out. That said, you can certainly use this forum to do the same. B&B is a fantastic community and I have zero doubt that folks will keep up with your progress and cheer you on.

Remember: "it's the journey, not the inn."

Wishing your the best of fortune in what will hopefully be a lifetime endeavor!!

Possum Tail,

Thank you for all your words of encouragement! I truly enjoyed reading your post!

My schedule is pretty flexible and can devote an hour a day most days. With regard to what motivated me there were several things. I just turned 31, have become more and more sedentary over the past few years. This has caused me to put on a few pounds, my belly now sits over my belt when seated, I noticed that I am getting short of breath doing simple tasks, I have become weaker, doing simple yard work causes muscles to hurt the next day. I recently had a health screening and my BP and TC were higher than they should be, both of which run in the family. I really want to make sure I'm able to be active with my future kids too!

I may try to phase out alcohol along the way, but right now it's not in the game plan. Small changes over time add up to big gains. I agree with your statement about falling off the bike, I have had a few problems with that in the past, but I understand they are excuses nothing else.

I appreciate the insight into being able to lift long into my life, I see that to at the gym I belong to, there are several gentlemen there much older than I that are much stronger than I. All in all, I'm not looking to diet, or do a quick burn, I'm looking to change my lifestyle.

I agree that holding myself accountable is the ultimate goal, part of that for me is posting here, making it public if you will. I'm lucky that I have a very supportive wife as well, who will push me as well (she goes to the gym daily).

Once again thank you!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I started eating similar to your plan 2.5 years ago. I did loose significant weight, but beyond that issues I didn't even know where diet related went away. You mentioned your cholesterol levels, a paleo style eating plan should help with that. I just had my blood work done, and since changing how I eat and I've raised my HDL over 20 points, and lowered my triglycerides from 285 to 60, LDL has held steady.

Derrick,

That's awesome!! Congrats on getting your numbers back in check! I'm glad to hear a eating plan similar to mine was able to assist with those for you, I'm hoping with that and exercise it will do the same for me.

-Brian

Commander Quan

Thanks. Those before numbers were definitely at a low point for me. I had 2 bulging disks in my lower back that I let go for waaaay to long before I did anything about them, was constantly in pain and self medicating with 12-16 Advil a day, plus Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Double Cheeseburgers.

I was pretty militant about what I ate for most of that entire first year. Since then a few things have slipped back into the mix like ice cream, or bourbon.

Like you I had no formal weight training, so I started Crossfit last June. I found a box that focuses more on strength training and less on the chippers and metcons. My first Foundations Class was actually on my 30th birthday. Right now I am actually 25-30#s heaver than I was at my lowest weight, but still wearing the same pants so it's not an issue to me.

Yes I have no problem gaining weight as long as it's muscle, the weight will really just be there for comparison purposes and will focus on strength and body fat %.

...I started Crossfit last June. I found a box that focuses more on strength training and less on the chippers and metcons. My first Foundations Class was actually on my 30th birthday. Right now I am actually 25-30#s heaver than I was at my lowest weight, but still wearing the same pants so it's not an issue to me.

HUGE. Crossfit gets a bad rap because a lot of trainers get rushed through a cert and quite a few boxes focus on metcons. There are lots of boxes with excellent coaching and a focus on strength and athletic performance.

Your being 25-30 lbs heavier but wearing the same pants is all the testimonial you need. That speaks volumes to your methods and your dedication. Good job!

Like Brett Jones said "strength is the glass. Everything else is what goes in the glass."

soccerguy83, advice from guys who've made this sort of progress is legit. A guy who has done the work, adjusted his diet, and stuck with it for the long haul is who I listen to. The armchair theorists and the guys who spout off "a buddy of mine knows a guy who . . . " or "I read that if you . . . . " are simply spouting hot air.

Agreed!

First workout:
Warm up

Circuit x3
10 push-ups
15 prisoner squats
10 one arm dumbbell rows (each arm with a growler full of water, to light but couldn't find anything heavier)
20 lunges (10 each leg)
0:15 plank

Then 5:00 handstand work

Cool down

Brian, do you have any books or websites you have read to get started?

Derrick,
Sorry I missed your question. Yes I have a website that I found that I really like. Most websites for fitness and strength training I feel like start you at level 5 of 10. This one starts you at 0. They start with body weight exercises and move through to strength training. The workout I posted from today was from this website and was completely a body weight work out. I have three more body weight work outs to become proficient at prior to moving on to weight training. I really am happy starting at the ground floor and progressing though, this is what I need at the moment.

I also want to get the book Starting Strength as this is the goto resource I have heard.

Thanks!

Agreed!

First workout:
Warm up

Circuit x3
10 push-ups
15 prisoner squats
10 one arm dumbbell rows (each arm with a growler full of water, to light but couldn't find anything heavier)
20 lunges (10 each leg)

Then 5:00 handstand work

Cool down

what is plank?

Hey Kev, I'm glad to see you made your way over here! A plank is where you lay on the floor on your belly. Place your forearms on the floor and your shoulders over your elbows then push your body away from the floor into kind of a push up position and hold it. You want your shoulders to your heels to be as flat as possible, hence the term plank, you want to look like a board. Go ahead and try one! They are great for your abs and back developing core strength. If you can only hold one for five seconds, that's great! Start there and work your way up!!

Brian:

congrats on your decision to get healthy. A change in diet is a wise choice, as 75% of your results will be based on the foods your eat. I certainly wouldn't suggest you remove alcohol from the equation but it does add to your calorie intake, and must be accounted for. Based on your weight and height- you don't have much to improve on, other than consistently making solid and healthy choices, and getting stronger.

as for specific exercises- what do you like to do? I for one have never been a "gym guy", and the treadmill may be (IMO) the most boring piece of equipment ever invented. Do you like to run, are you athletic, do you play sports? Is there a sports league you can join?
I know that crossfit has been mentioned. And as suggested, it does get a bad rap- but sometimes for good reason. Most facilities are relatively expensive ($100+/month), and after the 1st few training sessions, the members are left on their own. I know quite a few people who have sustained some horrific injuries doing it. If the facility doesn't have stellar reviews and a reputation to match- Id stay away.

wishing you great success, strength and good health. good luck on your journey, and if you have any specific questions or want some direction- shoot me a pm. I'd be glad to help!

Commander Quan

Not to get too far off the original topic, but it's impossible to make blanket statements about crossfit or any other athletic program. Proper vetting of a coach, gym, trainer, or program is imperative, and is the ultimate responsibility of the individual athlete. If you don't feel safe, or feel like the instruction isn't correct, or the program isn't inline with your goals move on and find another. To make changes one must push themselves past their current abilities, and doing so carries inherent risk. Unfortunately, the injury rate in any sport is 100%. Participate in any activity (weight training, running, golf, tennis, martial arts, or even cup stacking) long enough and an injury is guaranteed to happen. Strong fundamentals, and smart programing is imperative but there is no safe sport.

Here is a list of body weight workouts that can be done with no extra equipment or just a jump rope
http://reebokcrossfitone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Travel-WODs.pdf

Ok so this morning I weighed myself and I did a body fat measurement on the suprailiac, 167.8 lbs and 15.7% BF, though I think the BF is low and feel like I'm closer to 18-20%. My goal will be by the end of this year get down to 10-12% BF and to get stronger, don't really care where my weight comes out because I'm already at a decent weight for my height and as I gain muscle it might even go up.

This afternoon is another body weight workout.

The wife is going along with this and we have started a Paleo diet, found a great website that helps with recipes and even gives you a shopping list for the week! Went and got everything we need for the week Sat. Yesterday made some awesome almond flour carrot and banana muffins, had sushi for lunch (cheat meal), and baked salmon and mashed cauliflower for dinner. This morning had left over muffins for breakfast and will have some cottage cheese for a snack, chicken and bacon salad for lunch, sweet potato for an afternoon snack, then pork chops with apple slaw for dinner.

I will update my weight and BF once a week, and I'm taking personal pictures (can post them here but I doubt you guys want to see that) once a week.

With regard to CrossFit and running, I can't do either as I have a bad knee that can't take impact, bending, lifting, bike, elliptical, and swimming are no problem for it, but impact it can't take. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Work out last night:

Warm up

Circiut x3
10 push-ups
15 body weight squats
0:30 jumping jacks

0:30 squat thrusts x5 with 0:30 rest

Cool down

Did pretty good, the squat thrusts were killer though after the first 3 sets!

Last nights workout:

Warm up

Circuit x3
10 Inverted rows
20 Body weight lunges
10 Close grip push-ups
20 Step ups
10 Reverse crunches
0:30 Jump rope

Cool down

The inverted rows at home were interesting. We started off using the kitchen table until we noticed one leg didn't like that so much. Then we used a shovel that either my wife or I held the end of with the other end supported by the arm of the couch. We will have to figure something out for this before Monday!

Top Bottom