What's new

15 Step Routine - Insane or Sane?

Seems fine. IMHO, the alum and witch hazel are redundant but everything else is necessary for a three pass. I know some folks who claim the alum works better after a warm rinse followed by a brief soak in period and then a cold splash, but they may well be splitting hairs.

I also find that a splash after the balm is a necessity. But before that the balm has to sit for 4 minutes and then be lightly rinsed and patted with a towel before the splash goes on. :laugh: Steps just mean you care...

Last edited:
Since I've gotten much better at shaving, and maybe my face is like leather, I can get a super close shave with only WTG and ATG. I used to do the same three passes you do though. I only use alum block or witch hazel. I never use both. Those are the only differences. Totally sane.

I find I get more irritation if I use a 3 pass shave. I also only go ATG on my lower neck since too many passes gives me razor burn. I know a 1 pass ATG shave sounds crazy but YMMV right.

Hey guys,

I'd like to hear your feedback...

Brush - Semogue Mistura (Boar/Badger Mix)
Razor - Merkur HD 34c
Soap - Mike's, Stirling, MWF

1. Shower/Hot Rinse
2. Noxema or Proraso
3. Lather
4. With Grain
5. Warm Rinse
6. Lather
7. Across Grain
8. Warm Rinse
9. Lather
10. Against Grain
11. Cool Rinse
12. Alum Block
13. Cool Rinse
14. Witch Hazel
15. Skin Food or Balm

Am I nuts or is yours similar?
This is my routine, have you been watching me? I love Noxema!

Thank you for the feedback! I've been getting great results with Thayer's Cucumber Aloe WH over the generic stuff, so it may be time to take the alum step out all together.

Of course, it's just shaving, so as long as it works, any procedure is okay. Without showering:

1. Hot water soak for 2-3 minutes.
2. Eight drops of grape seed oil massaged onto your face
3. Lather face.
4. First pass shave.
5. Second pass shave.
6. Rinse.
7. Optional alum rub.

Takes under ten minutes.

All the steps only seem insane because advertising/marketing has been trying to convince you for years that shaving should be a two step process, apply foam then shave off. I do the same steps minus the alum but adding a lather and hot towel wrap. As long as the shave comes out nice and the skin is happy, it is the perfect number of steps.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by poikkeus
2. Eight drops of grape seed oil massaged onto your face

I'm pretty new to it all, I haven't heard of using grape seed oil. Hmmm​

You don't have to use grape seed oil; some use olive oil, or the oil is incorporated in the soap. I find that the overall shave is smoother.

A few members here shave only with oil.

We're all just a few steps away from a 12-step program.

Anyway, no need to get obsessed about counting steps. Simply settle in and enjoy yourself. If it works and your face is happy then you should be happy too.

Top Bottom