What's new

Aeropressers assemble!

Try boiling the kettle and let it cool for about 45 seconds. Should be fine.

There in lays a problem, don't have a kettle. Would you recommend one of those Harios? Right now I put water in a glass measuring cup and put it in the microwave. So far I don't think I've hit the same temp twice at the same set time with the same exact amount of water.

you can get an electric kettle for $20-30 and a candy thermometer for $3 at target & walmart. put the thermo down the spout, hold it with the clip (sharpie marker the proper placement) and you can get exact water temps every time. different temperature will extract different flavors and compounds so for consistency, you really need to get the water within maybe 5* each time. that said, if you like coffee brewed with 175* water, brew with that temp since you're the one drinking it. I like room-temperature cold-brew coffee as much as I like 190* coffee in the aeropress.

i have the kaffologie S filter (stainless mesh) and it's minimally more full-bodied than the paper at the expense of more cafestrol, which doesn't bother me since it saves me a step of rinsing out the paper filter. note that there are 2 able dics, small hole & large hole. the small hole is more fragile. i own neither.

with the metal disc, you can get a better-formed coffee grounds puck for dumping the grounds if you invert the press and pull back on the plunger a 1/2" or so as this will pull the puck off the metal filter and then you can pop off the 'lid' and a clean filter and then pop the grounds out with a satisfying "POP!".

I've been using an aeropress for about a year and love it. As far as water temps go, it depends on the bean you are using. I have found some beans taste burnt at 190 and terrific at 170 and others I prefer at 200. It takes a little experimenting.

There in lays a problem, don't have a kettle. Would you recommend one of those Harios? Right now I put water in a glass measuring cup and put it in the microwave. So far I don't think I've hit the same temp twice at the same set time with the same exact amount of water.

I use a measuring cup in the microwave for small batches of coffee (1-2 cups).

Get yourself an inexpensive instant read thermometer.

I use mine to stir the water in the microwaved measuring cup until it reads the correct temp then pour it into the grounds.

Fast, simple, and very easy.

Thermworks ThermPen is fast, uber accurate, and long enough to "stir with" (and not a pile of $$$ either)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GE2XF8

proxy.php

I picked one up yesterday and have become a little obsessed with playing with it. I forgot how much I love coffee after using kcups for 2 years. I also picked up a new digital meat thermometer. It seems accurate enough, but would I get the one above?

I have the able discs and like the thinner one the best though it took a while to decide, but both noticeably better than the paper. Good thing that I still have it, after years of trashing the puck and paper filter without thinking I have tossed the thicker stainless one in the trash more than once and then of course on trash day.

I picked one up yesterday and have become a little obsessed with playing with it. I forgot how much I love coffee after using kcups for 2 years. I also picked up a new digital meat thermometer. It seems accurate enough, but would I get the one above?

I use that one for everything. Meats on the grill. Poultry in the oven. Coffee. Tea. Everything. It is an inexpensive version of their bigger model but it has just as fast of a response time as the big boy does, at 1/3 the price which is why I got this one instead of the more expensive folder.

proxy.php

I use that one for everything. Meats on the grill. Poultry in the oven. Coffee. Tea. Everything. It is an inexpensive version of their bigger model but it has just as fast of a response time as the big boy does, at 1/3 the price which is why I got this one instead of the more expensive folder.

Thanks. This is a new world to me and I wasn't sure if I was playing by the rules.

I have the able discs and like the thinner one the best though it took a while to decide, but both noticeably better than the paper. Good thing that I still have it, after years of trashing the puck and paper filter without thinking I have tossed the thicker stainless one in the trash more than once and then of course on trash day.

Yep, done that more than once but never on trash day.... :scared:

Thanks for the tip on the cheaper Thermapen... I couldn't bring myself to spend a c note but need a good thermometer

I have had an aeropress for 3 years and I am still using the paper filters that came with the press.
So I have no idea.

Dries

So I didn't get a kettle yet because I completely forgot that my wife has the Breville tea maker. Also does hot water. So for the past week, I have been having a lot of fun temperature surfing the bean I have at the moment. Seems to like 195. Only extra step is to remember to refill it in the morning for her tea!

Also a fan of americanos. However, I can't get aeropress to compare to true espresso. Consequently I end up using inverted method but with slightly more coffee and pulled to about 3 to 3.5 on the aeropress. Brew for just under 1min, 30s (or so) plunge. Just use the same paper filters i got when I bought it two years ago. Don't water down the result at all. I will have to play with brew times depending on what bean I'm using, but overall the aeropress is awesome.

On a side note, I believe my next purchase will be a mypressi espresso machine
http://mypressi.com/
guy that got me into coffee had one. As far as home espresso, you really can't beat the price for the quality. Down side is CO2 cartridges...for now I'll stick with aeropress

Also a fan of americanos. However, I can't get aeropress to compare to true espresso. Consequently I end up using inverted method but with slightly more coffee and pulled to about 3 to 3.5 on the aeropress. Brew for just under 1min, 30s (or so) plunge. Just use the same paper filters i got when I bought it two years ago. Don't water down the result at all. I will have to play with brew times depending on what bean I'm using, but overall the aeropress is awesome.

On a side note, I believe my next purchase will be a mypressi espresso machine
http://mypressi.com/
guy that got me into coffee had one. As far as home espresso, you really can't beat the price for the quality. Down side is CO2 cartridges...for now I'll stick with aeropress

Yeah, this is just my humble opinion, only true espresso will be through an espresso machine. One day I hope to spring for a real one myself. For now, fresh roasted beans with the Aeropress has been quite good. I have been temp surfing along with times using the inverted method. I do water down a bit. Just ordered some fresh espresso beans but this time I may not water down.

The mypressi looks like a good option and very portable too. If you have second thoughts about the gas cartridges you may also want to look into a Presso. It is manually operated with more variables to control while pulling a shot, but paired with a good grinder can produce good results.

I just got my Aeropress today and have made a couple cups of coffee with it. I used freshly ground Starbucks Sumatra beans (no haters, I live in a small town and it was all that was available today). I used two Aeropress scoops and used water from my electric kettle. I put in a little water to let the grounds "bloom" as I have seen suggested online. I then added water to the "2", stirred for 10 seconds, then pressed. It did not take me 20-30 seconds to press as suggested by the instructions. That could be one problem. I then added about 50% more water to the concentrate. I found the cup week. My question is do you add water the the bottom, middle or top of the "2"? My numbers have circles around them. I have seen pictures of what I assume to be older models where the numbers are in more of an oval. Thanks!!

I use mine once or twice a day. Sad, but I never noticed any numbers.
All I do is wash off the strainer, put a filter in, make sure its damp. 1 1/2 to 2 scoops. About 1/2 filled with water, stir. Let set, fill to the very top, restir and put in the press and wait awhile ~min. And press it I hear bubbles.
The water is heated in a microwave until I see a little steam coming up from it. ~ 2mins

You may have the coffee ground to the wrong setting. Thay happened to me. It should be just a little finer than medium ground. When you pour your water, stir for 10 and let it sit for 20 to 30 before plunging.

Top Bottom