What's new

Aeropressers assemble!

I just received a new Aeropress in the mail after hearing so much about its versatility and ability to make a great cup of coffee. I've looked around and seen tons of different recipes for it and tried a couple out already. here's one i like a lot so far:

using the inverted method get 17g coffee, ground for fine-drip, water 175 deg. - fill to the #2 line on the tube and stir for 10 seconds. then let it sit for 30 more seconds and then put on your filter, flip it ontop of your mug and give a 30second press.

i then added an equal amount of hot water and had a great 8 ounce cup. really brought out the cocoa notes in my Sbux Ethiopian.'

how do you guys use yours? do you use paper filters or metal disc? is there a huge discernable difference between the two? does the metal give it a more "french press" type feel?

That water temp sounds a little low for coffee extraction.. I boil the water and let it rest to get down to an estimated 200.

I prefer the paper filters for my Aeropress. Cleanup is a few seconds - push into the trash bin and wipe. If I want the oils I just use my french press.

That water temp sounds a little low for coffee extraction.. I boil the water and let it rest to get down to an estimated 200.

i thought so too... but it yielded a pretty solid cup of coffee. The recipie skleice linked to uses water in that range as well. I guess the lower temps + pressure allow for good extraction but still give a smooth cup.

So I have been eyeing one of these for a few weeks. I have mostly switched to drinking Americano throughout the day and if not I definitely like a stronger cup. Can anyone compare how aeropress coffee comes out in respect to an Americano? Thanks for the information.

I love my Aeropress! I use it at work with beans from a local roaster. So much better than the "coffee" provided in the office. I haven't tried the metal filter, but I have contemplated getting one. I decided not to get it for simplicity and clean-up reasons.

I double up on the proportions too. Two scoops of coffee fill to the top (inverted method). I don't usually add water to the finished product, but rather add some milk and/or a little syrup. I'm typically an espresso drinker, but this is a great stand-in for the office environment.

So I have been eyeing one of these for a few weeks. I have mostly switched to drinking Americano throughout the day and if not I definitely like a stronger cup. Can anyone compare how aeropress coffee comes out in respect to an Americano? Thanks for the information.
I don't have a steel mesh filter which should make some difference and shift the Aeropress closer to an Americano, but in my opinion when using paper filters it is not the same at all, it is a different taste experience. But one can make a strong and smooth cup with the Aeropress which is very good.

yeah i'd say the only similarity between aeropress and an americano is that both involve making a concentrate and then adding water to that. of course, you can easily just make a small cup with your aeropress w/o needing to add water.

I just tried my water at 200 and the coffee was very bitter in comparison to my usual 180. I'm going to keep experimenting...

I've just ordered the metal disc. Looking forward to comparing. One thing I've noticed about the Aeropress is that it brings out a lot of subtle flavor notes you don't get in other methods. One thing is for sure, a better bean really makes a huge difference. I've been trying a few available through a place here in Canada that sources out smaller, high quality bean producers around the world. The difference between grocery store beans and this stuff is huge and even more so on the AP.

I LOVE my Kaffeologie disk!! My coworker has the Able disk, so I've been able to compare. I think I prefer the Kaffeologie as it's a much finer mesh.

The best temps for coffee extraction is between 185 and 175 F. The closer to 185 the better. This allows for the essential oils to be extracted without heating them up too much and causing bitterness. You can get a decent crema at this temp provided you have freshly ground beans.

I use the paper filters and they seem to work just fine. I haven't tried any of the recipes, but I will look them over and may try one or two of them.

Have had a press for awhile, have only used paper filters. Question for those with the metal... It would seem a lot harder to clean after pressing???

Have had a press for awhile, have only used paper filters. Question for those with the metal... It would seem a lot harder to clean after pressing???

It's not much different. With the paper filter, I just plunge it straight in the trash and rinse. With the the stainless, I plunge into the sink and rinse. The stainless takes a few extra seconds.

It's not much different. With the paper filter, I just plunge it straight in the trash and rinse. With the the stainless, I plunge into the sink and rinse. The stainless takes a few extra seconds.

I've heard that coffee grounds are bad for plumbing. I hope you're doing this in the office and not at home, or that I'm wrong!

I have an old plastic Folgers coffee can (the big one) that I dump my coffee grounds into. When it starts to fill up I take it outside and toss the grounds on my azaleas.

They like coffee as much as I do $bth_coffeelots.gif

hmmm...that's news to me. I just did a quick google and found that plumbers really frown upon it. Okie, small adjustment....remove disc, plunge into garbage, and rinse. Done.

Just got my Aeropress as well. Been trying some freshly roasted beans from Shenadoah Joe. Roasted and at my door within two days. Been trying the inverted method with some reasonable success and using (and reusing the paper filters). Only part that I'm not to keen on is microwaving my water. Eh. Been trying to hit about 190. I found the recommended temp in the instructions about luke warm.

I weigh the whole beans at about 20g and grind between espresso to drip. Any further recommendations welcome!

Top Bottom