What's new

Slant vs R41

I'm looking for an overly aggressive razor that won't send me to the poorhouse lol. I know that either will mow down my whiskers efficiently, but which is more aggressive?

Why would you want an overly aggressive razor? Gifting someone you hate?

R41 is the answer.
But it is not overly aggressive.

I have both the R41 and the 37c slant and by far the R41 is more aggressive. That being said the 37c is really not that aggressive. It is very efficient and makes short work of even the toughest stubble. Both are more than capable of giving you a BBS shave and both are capable of leaving your neck a mess if you allow your technique get sloppy. I love both and keep them both in my rotation.

I have both the R41 and the 37c slant and by far the R41 is more aggressive. That being said the 37c is really not that aggressive. It is very efficient and makes short work of even the toughest stubble. Both are more than capable of giving you a BBS shave and both are capable of leaving your neck a mess if you allow your technique get sloppy. I love both and keep them both in my rotation.

I have both as well and agree with Bucknut315. Both get used for different reasons, but both are great razors in my rotation.

1+

I have a 33c and a blue tip currently. 33c is a decent handle and I can get a DFS+ with 3-passes and some minor touch up in awkward growth pattern areas. It will make a fine travel razor. The blue tip just doesn't cut it (literally) for me. I am looking for something that provides much better efficiency.

Like I said the 37c is very efficient and does a great job of giving a smooth shave. The R41 is a beast and enjoyable to use. While both do a great job they are two very different shaves.

I have a 33c and a blue tip currently. 33c is a decent handle and I can get a DFS+ with 3-passes and some minor touch up in awkward growth pattern areas. It will make a fine travel razor. The blue tip just doesn't cut it (literally) for me. I am looking for something that provides much better efficiency.

The Blue Tip is widely regarded as a mild razor. Maybe something more in the middle would be better than diving straight into a killer razor like the R41. In that respect, again, the 37C is a dandy.

Last edited:
2011 R41 is the most aggressive DE Ive ever used. Slants seem just as efficient to me but much less aggressive. I enjoy both.

I have both as well and agree with Bucknut315. Both get used for different reasons, but both are great razors in my rotation.

I also agree. I have both. My R41 is the 2011 version, which is more aggressive than the current (2013) one. The 37c doesn't seem aggressive to me, either. It is very efficient. I use it exactly as I do my 34c. I usually only pull out the R41 when I have a few days' growth. However, both of the mentioned razors excel at that. One thing to consider with the R41 (at least with the 2011 one, as I haven't used the 2013 one): the angle used is extremely shallow (meaning that the handle is basically perpendicular to your face). This makes it difficult to use in areas like your upper lip (where your nose gets in the way of the razor). The 37c has a more intuitive angle (just like the 34c).

They say it is more aggressive than the 89 heads... to me it looks like an exact copy... The 33C will be slightly more aggressive than that.

Trust me, the Braveheart is miles more agressive than an R89 or DE89. From a distance they look similar but in the flesh the Braveheart has more blade exposure and a much bigger blade gap. It is a beast and right up there with my iKon Slant.

Last edited:
Jumping toward the single edge world.....but an open comb micromatic would be a razor to try for a little bit of aggression. Good and different than the R41 or Slant.

37c and R41 are an ideal duo for those wanting a close shave necessitating a higher level of engagement with the shaving process itself. Angle, sound, pressure, direction.
R41 is much more aggressive in the sense that I wouldn't describe it as a comfortable shave. It is an efficient and effective shave, and nothing beats the afterglow from a great session with an R41. 37c is a fine razor too, more as an everyday tool - enjoyable because of its smoothness, with lower risk.
As I say, both are wonderful testaments to the art of the shave.

PS: the R41 is also by far the better made tool - it's a sheer joy just to look at. I polish the bloody thing between shaves and simply love to take that shiny implement to my face!!
The 37c is just not as aesthetically pleasing nor as well made.

+1. I was going to post a reply of my own, but honestly this sums it up perfectly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom