What's new

Breakouts when I DON'T shave

I've been noticing that if I skip shaving for three or more days I get zits on my face and neck. If I shave every day they never get a chance to develop. Because of their size and how they grow I ruled them out as blackhheads. What could be causing this?

I shower once a day, twice if I workout in the evening, and wash my face and neck in the shower.

+1 on Witch Hazel I love the stuff (The regular stuff not Thayers).

On the days you don't shave, do you apply anything else to your face? Also, do you tend to use balms or splashes?

Are you using any face lotion or balms on days you don't shave? They say that's good for your skin but ive noticed if I use lotion on my face too often I get acne.

My guess would be you get a bit of exfoliation when you shave and that your skin likes that. Have you used an exfoliation scrub before? Fair warning that those scrubs cause me problems but they may agree with your skin.

Or you could just enjoy the daily shave! :)

Washing with a loofah helps as well. Yes I know they are girly but Axe actually makes a "Detailer" you can pick up at Walgreens or Walmart for about $5. It is actually pretty manly looking and great for exfoliating your skin. Exfoliate your face then use an astringent such as witch hazel or maybe alum and then use a moisturizer.

You have to be careful with exfoliation though because sometimes the skin reacts to that by overproducing oil, so in the end your face gets more oily potentially causing more acne

You have to be careful with exfoliation though because sometimes the skin reacts to that by overproducing oil, so in the end your face gets more oily potentially causing more acne

mine does this. however, i was using the exfoliating every day. i was told once while i was getting a straight shave that i should only use an exfoliating face wash once or twice a week. ive stuck to that and seem to be doing much better.

Some good comments on exfoliation. I had terrible cystic acne and scrubs didn't help me as a teenager and they don't help now. I truly believe that a close, comfortable shave is the most beneficial thing I can do for my face.

Yeah yeah I know but some mornings I just don't have the time. I do wash my face and neck with a exfoliant facewash, the generic version of the medicated St Ives Apricot scrub, so it could very well be that my skin is creating extra oils and what not. I'll see if I can find a more gentler cleanser.

My skin can be a little whacky at times. Sometimes it is just ingredients in the soap. My skin reacts poorly to most things other than French Milled type soaps. Even Cetaphil, which is supposed to hypo-allergenic and non-clogging. It might be worth it to try other soap options. YMMV is true for just about everything.

Yeah yeah I know but some mornings I just don't have the time. I do wash my face and neck with a exfoliant facewash, the generic version of the medicated St Ives Apricot scrub, so it could very well be that my skin is creating extra oils and what not. I'll see if I can find a more gentler cleanser.

Try MR GLO....worked for me and I had the same problem you have. It is an excellent product and you can pick it up for $8 at West Coast Shaving. I use it every day, even if I do not shave.

Top Bottom