What's new

Denim Jacket?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't get one because they are "back", get one because ... if ... you really want one.

I say Levis but I am biased.....

I have one I got back in the 80's, still looks great. Will probably outlive me.

$143 for a denim jacket?? I think not. I'll stick with the Levi version for about $30 (note "Made in USA". I know some are not but even still, for $100 I can live with the fact some of this stuff is made off-shore.) Oh, guess the tag came out too small. But trust me, it's a USA version.
$$_12.JPG
$$_14.JPG

Last edited:
$30 for a Levi's jacket? That seems kinda cheap given that 505's are like $50 retail now. I have my dad's old Levi's jacket, probably from the late 70's to early 80's. Ironically the 30-40 year old jacket was in much better condition than the new, identical model ones they were selling at Macy's or wherever I saw it.

EDIT: Yeah, from their website it seems Levi's classic trucker jacket retails for between about $70-100. So paying a bit extra for the higher quality denim and workmanship you might find in a Gustin product seems a bit more attractive.

Last edited:
$35 actually...saw them at Academy Sports..clearance. But you can find the older ones on line and actually, like you said, in better overall shape than many new ones for less than 1/2 the retail of the newer ones. Tell you who else makes a decent denim jacket is Wrangler. New about $35-$40 (Amazon) and wear just as long and well as Levis. I had one of those I put through the torments of hell for years. It never whimpered.
Someone is probably wearing it today still. I unloaded it when I outgrew it, then lost a lot of weight, and really wished I had it back.

The online route for the old version may be the best bet. I have trouble expecting anything purchased new for $30 is not going to fall apart. Also, I can tell you that I picked up a couple pairs of Gustin jeans and the difference in their product vs a pair of levis is enormous.

The online route for the old version may be the best bet. I have trouble expecting anything purchased new for $30 is not going to fall apart. Also, I can tell you that I picked up a couple pairs of Gustin jeans and the difference in their product vs a pair of levis is enormous.

I think the denim jacket by gustin is also uses selvedge denim.

Dumb question: what makes Selvedge denim worth the cost vs regular old denim? I have no idea what the difference is. Only jeans I have are denim.or canvas.

My only complaint with the vintage Levi jacket is how much they shrink over the years, same phenomena that happened to my lettermans jacket.

Dumb question: what makes Selvedge denim worth the cost vs regular old denim? I have no idea what the difference is. Only jeans I have are denim.or canvas.
It all kind of depends...or the famous YMMV ;-)...

From what I understand, selvedge denim is not necessarily better than denim woven on bigger machines. Selvedge means it was woven on older style shuttle looms, and is typically associated with a more artisan product that uses a higher quality cotton etc. There IS bad selvedge denim, just as there is great denim woven on newer large automated machines.

In the case of a company like Gustin, the appeal to me is the attention to detail and quality you cant get from mass produced clothes. If they were to use non selvedge denim, I'd be OK. Think of the selvedge part as the icing on the cake, not the whole cake.

My only complaint with the vintage Levi jacket is how much they shrink over the years, same phenomena that happened to my lettermans jacket.

haha, my dad always said the same thing ;-)

That just remined me...one of the things lost in my parents house fire was my fathers denim jacket with close to 30 years of HOG pins (Harley Owners Group) on it. That jacket was awesome.

Selvedge denim is usually heavier too (generally, as Edcculus said, it can vary) The heavier denim, usually tied with a better quality dying process will make the jacket last longer, and fad beautifully. I would trust Gustin to use excellent quality denim/dying etc, they have gotten rave reviews.

Top Bottom