What's new

How many shaves between pasted stropping

I am curious about how many shaves I should get between pasted strops. I get about 5 shaves before I feel the need to put the razor on the pasted paddle strop down to 0.25 micron. I typically leather strop about 50 times before the shave and that seems to keep the blade sharp enough to get really nice shaves. I know I tend to be overly particular about having a sharp razor but I am just wondering if I could keep it really sharp by just leather stropping more.

Thanks,
Richard

In general using a pasted strop will give you fewer shaves then using a hone however you should be getting more than 5 shaves between touchups. Of course everyone is different but at the least I would say 15 shaves or more is what you should be getting. You might try using just .5 and skipping the .25 and see what happens.If your using .25 diamond it can put a really fragil edge on the razor pretty quick.

Thanks for the hints. I have done this cycle 3 times already so I do not think it is my stropping technique. I will try the 0.5 and see what happens.

Thanks.
Richard

I touch up on paste about every 6 shaves. Last time I had a sshave at the barber I dulled the blade in 1 pass. He had to change his blade. He was using a Dovo shavette. So I think 6 shaves between touch ups is reasonable.

Well Matt am I to take it that you really like a sharp razor? I mean I like a sharp razor. I always use the canvas (forgot to put in original post) and I strop an average amount I think. I was just wondering if maybe more leather stropping would keep it sharp longer? I have a pretty tough beard.

Thanks.
R

I've been using a basic dovo "best" and find if I don't touch it up every three shaves I get pulling. I clearly have a very rough beard, so I suspect that plays into it. I also am fairly new [25 straight shaves - great results now but definitely still learning] to this, so my shaving technique and stropping technique may not be stellar but I think they are fine.

But doesn't this also turn on the razor itself? I assume a heavier better razor will hold a good edge longer. I'm in on the Le Grelot buy so plan to test it then.

Well Matt am I to take it that you really like a sharp razor? I mean I like a sharp razor. I always use the canvas (forgot to put in original post) and I strop an average amount I think. I was just wondering if maybe more leather stropping would keep it sharp longer? I have a pretty tough beard.

Thanks.
R

I need a really sharp razor for my beard. I am not sure if more leather would help much or not. Definitley strop 50-70 times before a shave and I think that is the most help leather can give to an edge. Leather may help keep it a touch sharper during the shave between passes if you choose to do so. I usually strop 30 linen 50 leather before a shave, 20 before the second pass and 20 before the third pass. I am not sure it is necessary but I do think it helps the shave to some extent, especially on the chin area. After that I just do a few swipes on .5 micron paste and I am good to go.

I've been using a basic dovo "best" and find if I don't touch it up every three shaves I get pulling. I clearly have a very rough beard, so I suspect that plays into it. I also am fairly new [25 straight shaves - great results now but definitely still learning] to this, so my shaving technique and stropping technique may not be stellar but I think they are fine.

But doesn't this also turn on the razor itself? I assume a heavier better razor will hold a good edge longer. I'm in on the Le Grelot buy so plan to test it then.

I am in on the Le Grelot also. It will be interesting to see how really good steel is. I have also wondered about Stainless Steel but that is for some time down the road.

Thanks Matt for the insight. I kinda like that "My God I came close to peeling my skin" shaves. I don't go the point of irritation but really, really close and that is only possible with a really sharp blade! Am I sick? :c9:

Later, and thanks guys,
Richard

Top Bottom