What's new

alum, witch hazel and the cold rinse?

Hi all - fairly new to DE shaving and all the excellent products available but I've started to develop a method that works for me.

I just started experimenting with an alum bar and absolutely love the burn/sooth/cool feeling it provides. I do this immediately after a shave followed by a cold rinse.

Last night I then threw on some witch hazel after the rinse, then rinsed the WH off and went with some AS.

Is the Witch Hazel overkill because of the alum bar? They are both astringents right?

I plan on using alum everytime now and not sure if I like the scent of WH. Do I need to rinse the alum off?

Sorry for all the questions fellas.

Bit overkill I think, I'd pick either the alum or the witch hazel as they are both astringents.

I chose the witch hazel personally due to the rumour of Al being dangerous in the long term :p

Rinse the alum and get some thayers which hazel. Thayers is by far the best not bad smell at all. I love the lacender. I got 3 bottles on amazon.com for $18.

As for using both, I do. I sometimes just use the which hazel a an after shave. You will understand if you get some Thayers.

Welcome

I use them both: cold rinse followed by alum block then Thayer's or Dickinson's(readily available but no pleasing scents.)

Marty

I have used both alum and witchhazel but I found that the alum worked better for me. However, at this time, I don't use either. The alum I use exclusively for a nick. That's all.

These days I prefer cold water. It seems to work the best for me.

"There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely."

- R

Cold water splash is the only part of DE shaving I don't enjoy. I do it because I think I have to, but I really dislike it :frown:.

-Ray

If you don't like it, don't do it. It's not a necessity. Most do it to close the pores and tighten the skin. Just use a warm rinse and then a ASM, ASB, or plain Witch Hazel. In cold weather, that's what I do. It also doesn't dry the skin as much.

I use them both: cold rinse followed by alum block then Thayer's or Dickinson's(readily available but no pleasing scents.)

Marty

This is what I do and have had no problems. I use the aloe version of Thayer's Witch hazel. I also picked up a big bottle of natural Witch Hazel from the local Sally's Beauty Supply for something like 8 bucks. I have a few oddball essential oils I'm thinking about mixing in to try for the fun of it.

My grandfather died of alzheimer's and he shaved with an electric norelco. He used to say "If I went back to a blade I would probably wind up cutting my throat"

Top Bottom