What's new

Rinse between passes?

Funny those little tidbits you catch while perusing this marvellous resource.
I noted someone mentioning not to leave too much water on the face after rinsing between passes, so's not to dilute the next lathering.
Well, well. I never have rinsed. Once the first pass is done, I slap on the next wave of lather. Am I in a minority here and, more to the point, does anyone have thoughts on what I'm missing by NOT rinsing?

Depends on how wet your lather is. Both are possible with good results. I always rinse and if I have a wetter lather, I dry more and spend a little more time relathering. With a dryer lather, I leave more moisture on my face.

The secret of a good shave is hydration. I always rinse between passes and have never experienced any dilution of the lather. Of course, I live in a very dry climate, so maybe the rinsing keeps the lather moist.

I don't rinse my face between passes but instead I wet my face. It is sort of rinsing but not quite. At the same time I assess the spots that need more attention.

Funny those little tidbits you catch while perusing this marvellous resource.
I noted someone mentioning not to leave too much water on the face after rinsing between passes, so's not to dilute the next lathering.
Well, well. I never have rinsed. Once the first pass is done, I slap on the next wave of lather. Am I in a minority here and, more to the point, does anyone have thoughts on what I'm missing by NOT rinsing?

I have never rinsed, I to go right to the next lathering. That being said I often wondered if you should re-apply the pre shave oil.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I load my brush on the dry side, at first I did not rinse, since there really was nothing to rinse off, but I found that re-wetting my face before subsequent lathers made for a better shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Whatever works. I use a scuttle and make lather compatible with a wet face - I keep it wet from the time I get out of the shower to the time I'm ready to apply lather.

Between passes I try to recreate the same level of hydration as the first pass - seeing as the lather has not changed.

I rinse my face with warm water in between passes and do an assessment of where I'm at with the shave during each rinse. After the last pass I go for a cold water rinse.

I've always done it this way, any water left on my face for the next lather is minimal and likely not enough to greatly impact the lather.

I rinse my face with warm water in between passes and do an assessment of where I'm at with the shave during each rinse. After the last pass I go for a cold water rinse.

I've always done it this way, any water left on my face for the next lather is minimal and likely not enough to greatly impact the lather.

Sounds good to me, exactly the way I do it. I never used rinse between passes but really feel the benefit now. The cold water final rinse cleans me right up.

+1

Rinsing also removes the loose skin cells and whisker debris that is on the face. I want each successive pass to be as close as possible w/o interference. +1 to all the other reasons too.

IMHO, keeping your face well hydrated is key to getting a good shave, plus each rinse lets you assess where to focus most on the next pass. A rinse with water as cold as I can get it is a must to finish off for me.

Top Bottom