What's new

Getting creams through airport security!?

Going on a trip soon and, even if I don't bring my own cream, I plan on bringing some back. Anyone done this?

Do I need to check my bag? I usually travel quite light and am not accustomed to doing this but I could if necessary.

Thanks for any guidance...

TSA's Know Before You Go site is your guide.

Air travelers may now carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints.

The following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols carried through security checkpoints.

1. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
2. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
3. Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

And they're serious about the bag being quart sized. No pint-sized, no gallon-sized. I know of two people who had their otherwise-legal stuff confiscated.

Your best bet is to stow your stuff in your luggage. For stuff you want to bring back: ditto or mail/Fedex it to your home.

If you're wanting to bring back cream in your carry-on bag, containers of liquids/gels/creams must be 3.4 ounces. Anything larger should be packed in checked luggage. They're generally pretty strict about this rule. Read more about it here.

Sometimes stuff slips by, but if they find it, they'll either 1) throw it away 2) confiscate it or 3) let you go all the way back to airline desk and check your bags.

Just squeeze some of the cream into a smaller container, like the small plastic travel jars they carry in big wire bins near the Health & Beauty Aids at Target and you should be fine.
If you buy creams on your travels, mail them back to yourself. It'll save you airport headaches, a suitcase full of shave cream and perhaps a cavity search and beating with a rubber hose.:eek::wink:

If you buy creams on your travels, mail them back to yourself. It'll save you airport headaches, a suitcase full of have cream and perhaps a cavity search and beating with a rubber hose.:eek::wink:

Geez, it's a good thing I'm not an Arab who enjoys wet shaving! Guess I'll be spending some time at FedEx during my travels...

Top Bottom