What's new

Vermouth that isn't crap

I know that vermouth is supposed to be capable of being a stand alone drink, and a quite pleasant one at that. Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to try a vermouth that wasn't cheap garbage (Noily Pratt, and Martini Dry). Can anyone recommend me a palatable vermouth, especially one that might have fairly wide distribution?

Unfortunately none of my local stores carry it, though a friend might be sending me a bottle. Unfortunately my local options are Noilly Pratt, Martini & Rossi, Cinzanno, and Dolin. I'm not familiar with Dolin, though have read some potentially promising reviews. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

Lillet vermouth is very nice (and as a bonus it's the modern day recipe from the brand recommended by bond for a vespar)

Hmm, I've seen Lillet Blanc in a store here, but I think they classified it as a liqueur, is that what you are referring to? That they've mis-classified it would not surprise me.

Unfortunately none of my local stores carry it, though a friend might be sending me a bottle. Unfortunately my local options are Noilly Pratt, Martini & Rossi, Cinzanno, and Dolin. I'm not familiar with Dolin, though have read some potentially promising reviews. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

If you asking about sweet vermouths: Dolin rouge is much richer than Noilly Prat and the others. It isn't Carpano, but it does not disappoint, either.

Dry vermouth favorites: Cocchi Americano and Vya extra dry.

I'll give the Dolin a shot while I'm waiting for the Carpano. I'm mostly looking a sweet vermouth, but wouldn't mind adding a decent dry to my bar either.

Carpano is by far the best. I also like Vya (made in California) if you can find it. Something else you could look for is Punt E Mes. It's great to drink straight. Dolin and Martini are next for me. Does Noilly Pratt even make a sweet vermouth?

Noilly Pratt does make a sweet, or at least there is something labeled as Noilly that is a sweet vermouth out there. I just tried Dolin for the first time, it was nice. Neither overpoweringly sweet or bitter, not what I would call a complex flavour, but smooth and enjoyable. Perfectly drinkable on it's own over ice. I'll have to try it in a Negroni or similar later. Based on this I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on some Carpano.

Update on the Dolin:

I've taken to having a wee nip of it at room temperature as my evening tipple, and am picking up more of the complexities of its flavour. It also makes a pretty good Americano (Campari, sweet vermouth, twist of lemon, ice and top with soda, mother to the Negroni) and a nice Manhattan.

Last edited:
Update on the Dolin:

I've taken to having a wee nip of it at room temperature as my evening tipple, and am picking up more of the complexities of its flavour. It also makes a pretty good Americano (Campari, sweet vermouth, twist of lemon, ice and top with soda, mother to the Negroni) and a nice Manhattan.

+1. Dolin is my go-to vermouth for all cocktails. I've heard good things about both Carpano and Punt e Mes, but those are both either very hard to find in my neck of the woods, too expensive for my wallet, or both. As long as I live within shouting distance of a bottle of Dolin, I won't even look at Martini & Rossi.

I found this for you http://vermouth101.com/ Dolin is good for martinis if you can find it. We have an import package store here that carries weird stuff like that but you can go to any wine shop and they can order it for you. It may be that you just don't like extra dry though. Have you tried searching for a standard vermouth and not the extra dry? (I like extra dry but many people don't)

Top Bottom