What's new

My first straight razor shave.

YMMV, but personally, I can get about three DE shaves for an average blade. Four's pushing it.

That said, I change out blades after two shaves (both sides, of course). I would change out the blade much more often until I got a better technique if I were you.

Yeah i guess i'll be doing that.. 1 shave per side till i get my technique right.

I find sharpness is far more crucial to my shave quality in the straight than it is in the DE (where, I suspect, I can compensate easier with some pressure without the cellular damage)

That makes perfect sense. Thanks..
I'll be using each side for only 1shave till i get my technique right.

Shave 4, 5 and 6.

Changes that i have made.
1) i now use half a blade per shave and dispose.
2) as advised i have loosened up my grip.

I have been getting similar shaves, Nowhere close to a DE shave.

Problems -
1) i still seem to cut myself in almost 3-4 regions every shave.
2) lots of irritation in my chin and neck.
3) weepers were i set my razor on its initial position.

Improvements -
1) my left hand is definitely getting the hang of it.
2) i'm not scared of the whole process anymore!

Any tips on how i could improve further and solve my problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Be mindful of the tip of the blades, they're easy to clip you. your razor angle is important.

When you go to contact your face: go down at the angle you want to shave at and keep the razor moving; keep light pressure . You'll get the hang of it.

Be mindful of the tip of the blades, they're easy to clip you. your razor angle is important.

When you go to contact your face: go down at the angle you want to shave at and keep the razor moving; keep light pressure . You'll get the hang of it.

Okay sir. Thanks for the tip!

so 10+ shaves later.

i still havent got a single shave without a cut or weeper..
this is sort of discouraging. i never expected it to be so hard. i'm getting decent shaves but is it really worth it??

i hate to step out the house with cuts and weepers on my face. it gives an impression to others that i cant even shave right and thats not something i want to portray.. never had such a problem with a DE razor.

i'm not going to give up on straights all together, but shavettes - Yes. unless something drastic happens and i get a weeper/cut free shave tomorrow.

It took me an inordinate amount if time to leave the house without looking like I was mauled by a barn cat.
It really is all about light pressure.

Ya it's probably going to take more than 10 shaves to start getting your technique down but it's well worth the wait

Are you stretching your skin real tight with your off hand? Are you shaving where you are stretching your skin? Is your lather loose and slick? If you're still using a new blade every shave, you're going to need to use zero pressure, as in ZERO.

I ask these questions because it took me a loooong time to stop fighting the cat I don't own. I wasn't stretching at first, and then I would move the razor to shave a different part of my face, but didn't move my off hand.

There sure is a lot to coordinate, but when you get it, and you will . . . .

Are you stretching your skin real tight with your off hand? Are you shaving where you are stretching your skin? Is your lather loose and slick? If you're still using a new blade every shave, you're going to need to use zero pressure, as in ZERO.

I ask these questions because it took me a loooong time to stop fighting the cat I don't own. I wasn't stretching at first, and then I would move the razor to shave a different part of my face, but didn't move my off hand.

There sure is a lot to coordinate, but when you get it, and you will . . . .

I have been stretching. But I haven't really paid a lot of attention it. Stretching in the chin is tough and this where i get most of my cuts and weepers!
I'll pay extra attention to stretching and revert..
Thanks!

practice makes perfect, keep plugging way at it!, don't make too many changes to your set up, i notice you've used a different lather every time, you need to get a good "stock" technique going, so try and limit the variables! as for blades, i can get 4 or 5 3 pass shaves from most blades i use, in fact i find some shave better after a couple of shaves, notably feathers and derby, so don't be too quick to change blades.

Thanks for tip..
I'll stick to the biotique till my technique improves. I get my best lather with it..

As for blades i was suggested by a fellow member to use a new blade every shave. I guess this is one of those YMMV things. Confused!!

I've never used ashavette, but would it help to strop between shaves? You may get more from the blades. There are many nice straights on the bay for relatively cheap too.

Hi,

Just came across your thread and I'd like to make a suggestion. I use shavettes a lot and even prefer them to str8.

First, you are trying to build muscle memory to get an improvement in technique. So, I wouln't be afraid to take a break from the shavette ( the break will work wonders ).
Use your DE for a few days and then go back to the shavette. Try using the shavette on easy to shave areas and finish with the DE for awhile as well.

I use a very sharp feather blade designed for one of my shavettes. Recently, I tried a blade in another of my shavette models that usually is described as being not as much. To my surprise, I was able to zip around the chin area effortlessly as compaired to the sharper blade that I have to watch. So, if you use a sharp blade you might not want to change it out right away as a little less "edge" might be better for you at this point. Its going to take more than 10 shaves to get this ( more like 30 or so) but you can do it over time.

So, you don't have to look like the cat took you out...just build your muscle memory slowly and pretty soon, there you go...getting the best shaves of your life.

By the way, you don't strop a shavette.

i dont think anyone strops a shavette..
yes but the cost of the straight razor + strop + hones would easily leave me with an empty wallet.

Hi,

Just came across your thread and I'd like to make a suggestion. I use shavettes a lot and even prefer them to str8.

First, you are trying to build muscle memory to get an improvement in technique. So, I wouln't be afraid to take a break from the shavette ( the break will work wonders ).
Use your DE for a few days and then go back to the shavette. Try using the shavette on easy to shave areas and finish with the DE for awhile as well.

I use a very sharp feather blade designed for one of my shavettes. Recently, I tried a blade in another of my shavette models that usually is described as being not as much. To my surprise, I was able to zip around the chin area effortlessly as compaired to the sharper blade that I have to watch. So, if you use a sharp blade you might not want to change it out right away as a little less "edge" might be better for you at this point. Its going to take more than 10 shaves to get this ( more like 30 or so) but you can do it over time.

So, you don't have to look like the cat took you out...just build your muscle memory slowly and pretty soon, there you go...getting the best shaves of your life.

Thats a great tip sir.. thanks!
I'll be taking a 3 shavette shave break.. and use my de instead.

okay going with the general consensus, i'll use my blade for 2-3 shaves before disposing it!

I have lost count now, but i think i have had around 25 shaves with a shavette.
I have been growing a goatee so as to avoid shaving the chin region.

I must say, it's getting more comfortable and i don't cut/nick myself ever so often. I can now use a blade for 3 shaves.

My conclusions
Pros of straight shaving -
1) very easy to define mustache, goatee etc.
2) lots of fun.

Cons
1) takes a lot of time when compared to de shaving.
2) not as easy and a slip in concentration can lead to problems.

I think I'm now going to introduce this as a regular part of my rotation. Double edge razor shaves on weekdays and straight shaves on weekends.

I'm now going to shave of my goatee and try to shave the chin as well.

I would like to thank everyone for helping me out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

OK,

Glad that things are working out well for you.

Now you should go to the SABRE thread where there are a lot of shavette users and a wealth of information for you.

if you still have that shavette style razor, you can try the beauty shops in your area. These are 2 styles of Shavettes i own. Both are in the $10 price range. The top one uses the split in half double edged "normal" shavette type of blade, the bottom one (my favorite) uses the longer type of single edged blades. It can be hard to find the blades for the bottom one, but I actually found them at a local beauty shop. they called the blade a hair shaper blade. Feather and Personna both make these type of blades, though i favor the Personna ones. Feather is cheaper priced, but usually harder to find.

$2 styles of shavettes.jpg

Top Bottom