What's new

Now I know why the fuss

I often wondered why there was so much fuss made about the Gillette adjustable razors.:001_unsur

Quite obviously, the only way to find out was buy one and try it. No big risk, I reasoned that if it wasn't for me, someone on the BST would be glad to have it, so I set to work on Ebay and spent a couple of weeks chasing down Slims, SA's, and Fatboys. You guys in the US are so spoiled for choice on vintage Gillettes - the shipping costs and customs charges to the UK make the Fatboys just not viable.:crying:

To make a long story short, I did eventually win on both a Slim and a Black Beauty, the former arrived yesterday, and after sterilizing it and loading it with a Shark, I got to find out what the fuss is about - and all I can say is wow, just WOW!:001_tt1:

So will I be selling them on BST? Let's just say the only way they will be leaving me is when someone prises them from my cold dead hand.........

I love my black beauty, waiting to find a slim or fatboy in the wild since SWMBO would murder me if I paid bay prices for one.

The SA is my favorite, I like my Slim and my Executive, but clearly the SA is my favorite. Just feels great in the hand, perfect balance and delivers a fantastic smooth and close shave set on 5. Congrats!

Congratulations on finding your razors. A Slim Adjustable is, after all, a refinement of the Fatboy, so it didn't make sense to me to pay the extra money for a Fatboy.

You guys in the US are so spoiled for choice on vintage Gillettes - the shipping costs and customs charges to the UK make the Fatboys just not viable.:crying:
Sooooo true and not just to the UK I think it goes for all of europe...... Oh sigh, the times I wished i was located in the states when I looked on ebay or in here..... sigh (again):mellow:

Congratulations on finding your razors. A Slim Adjustable is, after all, a refinement of the Fatboy, so it didn't make sense to me to pay the extra money for a Fatboy.

Sooooo true and not just to the UK I think it goes for all of europe...... Oh sigh, the times I wished i was located in the states when I looked on ebay or in here..... sigh (again):mellow:
It's true, I should probably not trouble about a Fatboy. There again, when I stop trying to chase one down, it might just come along. All of us in Europe miss out on value when it comes to these great US products, my friend from Denmark is right.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I feel for you members living outside of the U.S. and looking for Gillettes. If you're interested in Gillette NEWs, many are British made and shipping charges might be reasonable from Great Britain to other European countries; Check Ebay UK. I have bought British made Ever Ready Streamlines from England but they are expensive, so the shipping was a smaller percentage of the total price.

Top Bottom