What's new

Intermediately Stropping between shaves

I just did my 3rd straight razor shave today with my new Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish Point. I did post strop: 12 laps on the canvas and about 22 on the leather SRD English Bridle when I caught that ohhhh so satisfying sound and feel of the draw that summons the mental image of the edges realigning.

And that got me thinking: it's common knowledge that we should strop pre-shave, but I'm doing about 22 laps now. My next shave likely won't be until 2 days from now, and in the meantime, I, like most of us guys, have a itch when we have our new toys. Thus, before my next shave 2 days from, I will likely wander into the bathroom and satisfy my strop-itch by putting in about another 30-40 laps.

So do I really need to strop again RIGHT before my next shave, or is my razor still good from the 'pre-strop sessions'? I mean, a blade doesn't get dull from sitting around without use, right?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It doesn't get dull from sitting around, but the edge can degrade from the humidity in the air. The edge will take a long time to degrade tho, so 2 days probably wont do anything. However, why not just strop? :smile:

I have seen edges that were put away for a long time still hair popping sharp, but they were carefully oiled prior to storage. I think a few laps prior to the shave ensures that any oxidation however slight is removed.

I strop the razor the night before. Occasional strop stroking may also scratch the strop itch. The more you strop your razor, though, the more chances you will have to roll your edge.

About 15-20 licks on the fabric and same on the leather right after drying the razor. This helps ensure the blade is, in fact, dry. No other reason for this practice as just before the shave, the blade gets 50 + 50.

as much as i enjoy stropping, which usually is pretty relaxing for me, extra stropping is a recipe for a nicked or cut strop..

I always strop immediately pre-shave, even if I had stropped the razor that morning in preparation. If it sits too long, I'll give 25 laps or so before the shave. Metal is more "plastic" than many people believe.

but how can it be mis-aligned if it's not been used since the "last" strop? Minus minor rust/corrosion from long storage in humid area.

I would imagine that regular use, at least once a week would eliminate any oxidation issues, unless you have a particularly corrosive environment. I usually strop more than once between shaves because I'm old and can't remember if I stropped. LOL

I just did my 3rd straight razor shave today with my new Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish Point. I did post strop: 12 laps on the canvas and about 22 on the leather SRD English Bridle when I caught that ohhhh so satisfying sound and feel of the draw that summons the mental image of the edges realigning.

And that got me thinking: it's common knowledge that we should strop pre-shave, but I'm doing about 22 laps now. My next shave likely won't be until 2 days from now, and in the meantime, I, like most of us guys, have a itch when we have our new toys. Thus, before my next shave 2 days from, I will likely wander into the bathroom and satisfy my strop-itch by putting in about another 30-40 laps.

So do I really need to strop again RIGHT before my next shave, or is my razor still good from the 'pre-strop sessions'? I mean, a blade doesn't get dull from sitting around without use, right?

I strop both before and after the shave, the latter if only to make sure the blade is dry before putting it away.

Top Bottom