What's new

2014 Gentelmanly Restraint Until Summer (GRU-Summer)

How does LaToja compare to Arko?

Scent wise ... they're quite different. Arko has that lemony (and yes, I smell it - urinal cakey) scent that I don't mind at all. It definitely is different on the face. La Toja is clean, fragrant. Not sure how to describe it, but a very nice, clean, classy, soapy scent.

Lather wise, both are fantastic. I felt like I got a slightly better lather from La Toja, but that could be due to countless variables so I'm not ready to render a decision of one over the other.

They both make my face feel fantastic afterwards ... like butter honestly. Not sure which makes it feel better just yet, but they're very comparable.

I gave Arko a try, and get good lather, but I always have issues with my shave with it, no matter my blade/razor combo. Maybe it is me, or it does not agree with me.

Well, approximately seven hours after my shave I'm still faceturbating ... not sure I was doing that with Arko.

That said, I was a little more aggressive with my shave this morning (as much as my DE86BL allows) too, so it was definitely closer than past shaves. Might have to give the La Toja another go on Friday when I shave next and see what the outcome is.

#34 checking in.

I had a pretty intense shave this evening. Tonight was the feather ac, speick, soc boar, captains choice bay rum. Up until tonight I have been using kai milds in my ac. They are wicked Sharp, but also smooth. For this shave I figured it was time to man up and try out a feather pro blade. Holy cow! I didn't know a razor could be so Sharp. I mean, atg felt like wtg. Absolutely zero resistance. I ended up with a great shave after only 2 passes and no touch ups necessary. The captain's choice let me know that my technique was sound. It's was one of those shaves to remember.:lol:

In an attempt to randomly choose a SOTD and keep things interesting, I actually found that I was doing anything but and would end up (subconsciously) reaching for the same combinations again and again. :001_rolle

So I'm trying something that maybe a tip to help others through the restraint period....

• I'm shaving with just one shaving soap and rotating my brushes daily until I've used every brush with that soap, 10 brushes in rotation so that's 10 days per soap.
  • I'm then changing my soap to the next and going through the entire brush rotation again.
  • I have only 4 razors that I rotate so these see regular turn-over anyway.

With ^this^ type of rotation I'm finding that I'm using combinations of brushes, soaps & razors that I normally wouldn't combine and it actually feels like I'm having NEW and interesting shaves! I'm coming up with combinations of brushes and soaps that at first think "***" and then when I have the shave, I'm actually really pleased!

SOTD

Tabac,
Semogue 208,
G1 FatBoy,
Speick,
Weleda ASB

#4 still in.
SOTD:

Pre: Vergulde Hand shaving soap as face wash
Cream: Alvarez Gomez Barberia
Brush: Mühle STF 21mm

Razor: Merkur Progress, Gillette Silver Blue, w-x-a
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel Lavender, men-ü UCFML

EdT: Provence et Nature Absolu Violette

Still here. Double checked the list and didn't see myself. But I'm in it list or no list.
Just to make you sure - I double checked my vision I and can only confirm your statement - you are here with no doubts, with or without a list! :biggrin1:
I am also in, in love with Palmolive... It has something that I Coloniali misses - nice, tender and cozy price...

Updated list. All that are still in,

Repeat after me: I will stay away from the BST/EBAY/ Italian Barber!!!

44/56 are still IN % in ~80%
11/56 are now OUT after 16 Days % OUT ~20%

At this rate we will be lucky to have 10 finish.

1. Jarick - Rudy Vey brush
2. Gytis - Palmolive shaving cream
3. jjking54 - None
4. flof - None
5. Reevers - None
6. cpacamper - Razorock slant
7. SciTX - Feather blades
8. Aristeros - Slant OUT 4/4/14 two Storage containers
9. Boared - Stainless DE Razor
10. Kbull719 - RR xxx
11. countrydirt - none OUT 4/6/14 blades
12. rockviper - none
13. haggises - coticule
14. Morman Bridge - No exceptions OUT 4/8/14 eBay razor
15. Bushhippi - lucky tiger AS
16. Gman9537 - Burt's Bees USB
17. Sgtd - none
18. jamesnj - none
19. dfoulk - Strop Shoppe soap
20. Comet - none
21. froogle_jimmy - Slant OUT 4/10/14 Stirling soaps
22. SteveE1959 - Stirling Glacial
23. Fudd- M&F Brush
24. Taborcarn - RazoRock Slant OUT 4/9/14 shave soap
25. redrider_99 - badger brush
26. Kevdogg329 - birhtday gift
27. Hellboy - Terry Pratchett Books OUT 4/14/14 Shelves for Shaving, and wooden bowl
28. Lowjax - 2014 RazoRock razor
29. lmiill999 – Feathers
30. narcoden – none
31. cogbog – bottle of fragrance
32. Heron – hair shaper blades
33. Lazorco – none
34. Emt88 – none
35. Hidell - B&B Boar
36. KQY61 – none
37. Noddon – RazoRock Slant
38. parapaul – none
39. mark_08 – new brush
40. abragus – none OUT 4/9/14 Called self out for gifts for father (Post 609)
41. Mr Moustache – custom brush
42. shevek – Rooney brush
43. Salgy – birth quarter black beauty
44. Billy Goatee – WD badger brush OUT 4/9/14 eBay travel razor
45. MMMM – none OUT 4/10/14 The Copper Hat Shave Soap

46. RVshave – none
47. FreddieP318ti – Pulled out on 3.30.14 (Post 135)
48. Puck - preshave
49. RunFoxRun- None. OUT 4/12/14 lacquer to coat a shave stand
50. Mtnredhed - none
51. Canadian Deacon - none
52. Kooze- have Rudy re-knot a shedder
53. CarmoPolice - Semogue LE Olive Wood

54 Daytodaze - none?
55. Senshi - Put me in coach. No exceptions.(Post 14)
56. Rangerpat - not sure, but my guess is Hone for axe :thumbup:

For some reason if you entered and are not on this list, let us know and we will add you to the list (post must been made on this topic before April 1.)

Also Please check your number to this list, due to 2 lists floating around. Get your prison number in this list, Please :eek:)

Also if I missed anything let me know. Trying to help Jarick with these updates to make his job here easier running the restraint, since I know he has been busy.

Note: added RangerPat to our list

Last edited:
I am getting some back-though that this sabbatical is not going to end... And my wishlist is growing day after day, some aggressive old razors are missing and waiting for me at antique stores... They should be patient, I will come after them finally....

#3, still in ... no shave today.

No real temptations either. I've got lots in my den to keep me occupied, and the weather is improving so I'll be cycling more to keep my mind and body active.

#50 still in, but building a wanted list for the end of june. If I find a "B1" (birth year and quarter) date code on flea bay in nice condition, I'm probably toast.

I'm in LATE (as usual) --- no exceptions. I don't qualify for this list but will try to make it through on my own :)

#53 still in and reporting for duty. I had a magnificent shave today. The only difference in my routine was that after I cold-rinsed following Alum application I moisturised and then applied some Speick Witch Hazel. I had been doing this in reverse (alum-witch hazel-moisturiser). My skin never felt so good after a shave. It was marvellous in fact! I'll repeat the sequence tomorrow and see if I get the same results.

SOTD:
Pre-shave prep with some of Fitjar's Nyasha Black pre-shave soap
Wickham Soap Co. Super Smooth Bay Rum soap (fabulous)
Semogue 830 Boar (face lathered)
Muhle R89 Grande
Personna Med Prep (#2)
cold water rinse-Alum-cold water rinse-moisturise-Speick with Witch Hazel-Speick EdT

Last edited:
# 9 Still in. SOTD

Simspon Special Best
L'Occitane Cade Soap
Shavecraft 101
Personna Red
Nivea Sensitive Balm
TF Grey Vetiver

With shaves like that, who needs more stuff? Right? :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Top Bottom