What's new

2014 Gentelmanly Restraint Until Summer (GRU-Summer)

For those who don't want to participate in the big yearly restraint, we are doing smaller seasonal restraint threads. Since the Spring restraint is just about over, we are opening registration up for the next round.

What I found in my first sabbatical was that I was focused more on using up what I had, giving forgotten razors and brushes a new chance, and finally dumping what I didn't like (often in trades for new stuff). Not to mention saving money on impulse purchases, instead focusing on what we REALLY want to try during the "reloading" phase.

Here are the dates chosen for this year:

GRU Spring: Jan 1st - Mar 20th
GRU Summer: Apr 1st - Jun 21st
GRU Fall: Jul 1 - Sep 23rd
GRU Christmas: Oct 1st - Dec 24th

That gives close to three months of restraint followed by 7-10 days of purchases to prepare for the next restraint.

THE RULES:

1. Gentlemanly Restraint starts at 12:00:01am on Apr 1st, 2014.
  2. Gentlemanly Restraint ends at 11:59:59pm on Jun 21st, 2014.
  3. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
  4. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to shaving items only, though you can avoid other purchases as well.
  5. No purchases are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you have enough stuff to see out about 3 months of shaving

There are three exceptions to the purchasing of items (see rule #5):

1. ​B&B Group Buys or B&B Branded Items, because some are limited edition and all are good deals. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify.
  2. One named item of your choice. This is your personal exception. You must name the item before the start of Gentlemanly Restraint. It has to be relatively specific; no blanket statements qualify (e.g. "a razor or a brush" is too vague"). Use your best judgement here.
  3. Sue Moore Auction Items. This is a great cause and we should all try to participate in it if possible.

There are no prizes for making or breaking the pledge, but it's a matter of keeping your word and making a commitment. If nothing else your wallet will be better off.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:

If you're interested, reply here and let us know. With your post, please let us know what your one exception item will be. I will maintain a list of the entrants throughout the restraint period. We'll use this thread to help each other out like the other restraint threads. Feel free to chat here about your great shaves, post pics of your pre- and post-restraint purchases, pics of what dropped you out of restraint if you don't make it, encourage each other to continue on to the end. IF YOU FAIL THE RESTRAINT BY PURCHASING AN ITEM PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU PURCHASED HERE IN THE THREAD! On occasion we'll also ask for a checkin to ensure we haven't lost anyone. If you don't answer I'll mark you DNF (did not finish) until we get an update.

THE LIST:

I'll track everyone who has joined the restraint thread, their exceptions, and if they are in or out. I'll periodically post a link to a Google spreadsheet and/or post the current list.

I will kick things off by pledging to make no shaving purchases this Spring, considering how badly I failed the last round.

After the Christmas restraint, I loaded up on some hard soaps, then proceeded to get a bunch of soft silvertip badgers. It's not working out so well. I'm going to need another boar (or two) to help knock those down (thinking about an 830 and an Omega Pro). Also want to try Proraso Blue cream and get another bottle of Thayer's.

My exception item will be a Rudy Vey brush. I'm not sure what kind yet, but I've been thinking about it the last month or so.

Sign me up. I pledge no purchases! Im still new but find myself buying to try instead of buying a need. Nothing wrong with that but I need to chill. I dont have much stock so I hope me buying blades will not go against me. I only have a pack of feathers. My exception will be a Semogue Boar Brush. The only brush I have is a badger from tweezerman.

EDIT: Since its not April 1st I will buy that brush today lol. Make my exception some Tabac!

Last edited:
Sign me up. I pledge no purchases! Im still new but find myself buying to try instead of buying a need. Nothing wrong with that but I need to chill. I dont have much stock so I hope me buying blades will not go against me. I only have a pack of feathers. My exception will be a Semogue Boar Brush. The only brush I have is a badger from tweezerman.

EDIT: Since its not April 1st I will buy that brush today lol. Make exception will be some Tabac!

Blades would put a person out of a Restraint period as they are a shaving related product. I would recommend buying an 100 pack of blades to get through this period.

BTW sheepishly count me in for this sabbatical. Don't know if I can do it. My Exception is one Birthday gift, as my birthday is in May.

Time to go and make sure I have enough soap, razors, blades, brushes, AS, ASL, and stypic pencils for 3 months :)

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
after my pitiful attempt to restrain for lent....I am in for the GRU-Summer 2014 with my exception to be made in the near future

Last edited:
I'm gonna give it a shot. My birthday is end of April, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Does receiving gifts of shaving-related products disqualify me? If so, I may have to drop out... unless....

My exception is EITHER not BOTH, iKon 5 set, or ATT Atlas 5-piece set. I'm not decided which one I want yet. Birthday n all... Does that work? Can I have the option of one or the other for my birthday from you fine gentlemen? LOL

I'm in for another round. Exception will still be RazoRock Razor that I didn't buy in the Spring Restraint.

GRUS - Successful
GRUSu - Now Entered!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Pop my name in the hat. ~5 hours to go for me to complete the GRU-Spring and looking forward to another 3 months of not buying anything.

I'm in on this. Having spent too much money on various things over the past two months I'm going for no purchases of any kind, shaving or otherwise, with one exception second-hand Terry Pratchett books (I'm trying to complete the set and to buy new is too expensive). I'm set for shaving gear, I should 'last'... :001_tt2:

Last edited:
I'm in. I find I am missing sabbaticaling. Maybe I'll even finish one for a change.
Exception item will be a coticule.

I'm in on this. Having spent too much money on various things over the past two months I'm going for no purchases of any kind, shaving or otherwise, with one exception second-hand Terry Pratchett books (I'm trying to complete the set and to buy new is too expensive). I'm set for shaving gear, I should 'last'... :001_tt2:

A complete set of TP is a must for any well read gentleman. Especially a gentleman who likes to giggle a lot.
Don't forget Dark side of the Sun and Strata.

Top Bottom