What's new

What are your top rieslings?

My wife and I currently are huge Riesling drinkers. I just wanted some suggestions on your favorites. We usually go a little more on the sweet side.

We don't drink a lot of riesling but the ones I've enjoyed a lot have been from Alsace. Also enjoyed the riesling from Coquelicot that I picked up in Los Olivos a year and a half ago and drank recently.
Would love to try out a lot more German rieslings but some of them just get so pricey...

There's so much variety in rieslings and they're fantastic wines.

I second the Alsace suggestion. I can recommend New Zealand rieslings too - the riesling grape grows well in the cooler South Island regions.

New Zealand rieslings tend to have higher acidity, which balances out the sweetness beautifully. There will be a mix of styles and sweetness, so read the labels carefully. From Central Otago, Mt Difficulty Target Gully is always a stunner. Waipara rieslings are also superb because of climate and mineral structures in the soils there. Nelson rieslings tend to be slightly softer and sweeter in style than Marlborough rieslings. But generally, it's hard to go wrong with these wines.

Australian rieslings from the Hunter Valley can be superb warm climate rieslings, with lower acidity (i.e. softer feel in the mouth), lots of fruit and often kerosene flavours.

I'd be interested in reading some suggestions, too, as I am not a wine connoisseur, but do like to drink the occasional glass of wine. Thanks for the thread.

We don't drink a lot of riesling but the ones I've enjoyed a lot have been from Alsace. Also enjoyed the riesling from Coquelicot that I picked up in Los Olivos a year and a half ago and drank recently.
Would love to try out a lot more German rieslings but some of them just get so pricey...

Jesseix, you probably drink caucasians, right?

Chateau St. Michelle and Hogue both make nice, everyday Rieslings. Nothing fancy, but for $8-$10 a bottle, you can't go wrong.

The German Auslese is usually a sure bet.
If I'm looking for good prices on Rieslings I go for Hogue late harvest, Chateau St. Michelle, or Bridgeview Blue Moon (a personal favorite)

German Auslese if you like them sweet, or Spatlese if you like them more balanced are usually very good. But they are typically $18 and up, which makes the Washington state wines look like a great value. Don't get me wrong, the German wines can be more complex and alluring, but for twice the $$, they should be. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Keep an eye out for Canadian rieslings, both regular table-wine versions and the phenomenal (and very sweet) ice wines!

How are canadian wines these days? I haven't drunk any since i left canada fifteen years ago. They used to be mostly dreadful.

Ice wines are wines with sugars concentrated by freezing, which can be done with refrigeration or on the vine - no real difference, so if you start with an ordinary riesling you will end up with a sweeter ordinary riesling. Botrytis or late harvest wines, on the other hand, are delicious - the sugars are concentrated by fungus that gives a heavenly dimension.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How are canadian wines these days? I haven't drunk any since i left canada fifteen years ago. They used to be mostly dreadful.

"Used to be" being the key phrase there. Very good stuff coming from north of 49 nowadays.

Marginal wine growing areas can make exciting wines as long as the right grapes are grown. Anyone doing gruner veltliner in Canada?

My wife and I currently are huge Riesling drinkers. I just wanted some suggestions on your favorites. We usually go a little more on the sweet side.

I have to say that 75% of the white wines I drink are Riesling (unfortunately I can't comment on Rieslings from other countries as living in South Australia we have ready access to premium Riesling at reasonable prices). However, my two cents for what it's worth..... Anything from the Clare or Eden Valleys in South Australia.. The Clare ones are mostly fresh dry, citrusy, minerally when young but age well with the dried fruits, kerosene and buttery flavours coming on after 7 or 8 years. The ones from the western side of the valley (in the Skillogalee area) are fruitier with lemon and lime with those from the eastern part of the valley (around Polish Hill River and Mintaro) more minerally due to aoil type and aspect. Some wineries that are consistently good include; Skillogalee, Mitchell's Watervale, Cardinham Estate (won worlds best a number of years ago), O'Leary Walker, Crabtree of Watervale, Pikes, Grosset, Jeanneret. Eden Valley ones include Leo Buring and Henschke. We generally pay $AU17-$28 for a good Riesling.

I like:

Dr. Konstantin Frank's Dry Reislings
Chateau St. Michelle Reislings
+1 on the St. Michelle.

If you want a good budget Riesling try "Dachshund" Riesling. It is quite good.
$Dachshund.Riesling.jpg

I agree with the recommendations for Alsace. Trimbach, Sparr, and Hugel would be some brands to look for. If you want sweeter, and if I could talk you into broadening your horizons, a Gewurztraminer from any of the Alastian vineyards cannot be beat. I can almost guarantee that if you try one, you and the wife will both be hooked.

Don

Top Bottom