What's new

Galaktus' razor blade journal

Well feel free to post your results and reviews, too, Steve. You won't be stepping on my toes, I welcome the conversation! I am sure others would too.

I have taken a few days off from my blade trials due to getting anew razor, a Parker 26C OC razor. I used a Med Prep in it, to evaluate the razor.
Back to my reviews. Shave #1 with a Gillette Silver Blue. I prepped with a shower, and whipped up some Stirling Electric Sheep with a pre-soaked Omega 10810. My Weber was pre-loaded with a GSB. The shave was smooth, but not the closest I have ever gotten. I finished up with Speick AS. No burn at all. Not too impressed with this stuff, the smell fades as soon as I put it on.
Onto tomorrow's shave. I will use some good ol' Clubman to test AS burn.

Impressive collection of blades. You may want to add some of the vintage Gillette and Schick stainless blades to your stable once you've tested your modern blades. Darn good blades that compare quite favorably to modern brands. Gillette Super Stainless "Spoilers" and Schick Super Chromium are among my all time favortes. They are getting a bit pricey these days, but can still be had for around $0.10 a shave.

Actually, Bharvey. I am just looking for "The One" (or "The Three", or "Four"). Maybe when I am done with these packs, I will explore the older blades.
Second shave with the Gillette Silver Blue. Today's shave went way better than the first shave. Much smoother post-shave, skin felt almost velvety. I didn't use Clubman, I was itching to try Fine American Blend. Very slight burn.
I think these blades will be sampled again after I am done with the testing.

First and last shave with a Gillette Super Blue, or whatever the name is. The package looks like a poor photocopy of King Gillette on it, and has lots of Chinese writing on it also. I honestly didn't have high expectations going into this shave, and I wasn't disappointed. The blade pulled as bad as a Balaka. One inch shaved at my right side burn, and into the blade bank it went.
Onto the next one on my list, Gillette black. The shave was way better than the Chicom torture device I had just chucked, but I was disappointed in the quality of the shave. The blade felt a mix of being not the sharpest, and pulling. I finished my shave, and a few hours later, I feel stubble. I don't think I'll use this one tomorrow, I'll just go onto the next blade in the list. I'm actually shocked because I have heard nothing but good about this blade, but YMMV.

Last edited:
I was about to unwrap a Kai blade, and I unscrewed the Weber. I noticed that the glue spots on yesterday's Gillette black had been placed against the top cap. One side of the blade was sticking to the top cap, the other side wasn't. I normally don't pay too much attention to glue spots. But after seeing this unintentionally possibly misaligned blade, I decided to give the Gillette black a second try. I unwrapped a fresh one and put it in the Weber, glue spots toward the bottom plate. I normally eyeball my razors to make sure the blade is aligned properly, and to inspect both edges. I don't think the blade was misaligned, but I'll give the Gillette black a second go.
We'll, today's shave was 100% better than yesterday's! Very close, no stubble for about 8 hours! One of the closest shaves I can remember. After shave burn with The Veg was minimal and passed very quickly. Oddly, not the smoothest, but comfortable. I will go for shave #2 with this blade tomorrow.
Funny thing is with this blade testing, I guess we try to find the best balance between sharp, close, and smooth.

Working my way through a blade sampler, I give the blades either a plus or a minus. There has only been two brands I've been impressed enough to give a ++. ...

My sorting scheme is somewhat similar. I have three tiers:

• Top: love and will buy in bulk
  • Middle: like but probably won't buy again
  • Bottom: use once and toss
Though I'm very happy with my top-tier blades (Indian Greens, Personna blue-wrappers, Russian Perma-Sharps, Racers), I should probably avoid complacency and get myself a sampler or two to see if I can add to it. Also, you can never be too prepared for the Blade-ocalypse. :scared:

Shave #2 with Gillette Black. I used Arko today. Again, a very close shave but not the smoothest. One tiny weeper, on my upper lip, of all places. I chalk that one up to me, not the blade.
After shave was Clubman, and I had a good amount of burn but it went away quickly. I think the lack of smoothness will make me not try these again.
Tomorrow, the Kai blade.

Last edited:
The Kai razor blade. Sleek, very very sharp, and stealthy. No wax, writing or markings on the blade. Just naked steel.
My first shave with a Kai a few months ago I remembered as shaving Nirvana. I used one a few weeks back and had a harsh shave with it. Today was kind of in-between these extremes. The shave was close, but not the smoothest. I seemed to have a lot of tiny weepers, almost miniscule dots of red on my lower neck and chin. After shave burn was noticeable, and the Fine American Blend burned a bit, but it went away quickly. I noticed a bit of irritation on the outside of my neck, under my ears an hour after the shave. Four hours later, it is gone.
I will mention that I used Stirling Rose today for the first time. Next shave with the Kai I'll use some Fat or Arko.

Second shave with Kai. I used Arko today, seeing if that Stirling Rose maybe added to my irritation. Same amount of irritation after the shave, around the jawbone under ears. Got a few weepers on my neck, but I suspect it was me, not the blade. I don't see me using these again, my face just feels rough after shaving with a Kai. Almost like I ran a wood rasp over my skin.
Lord Platinum tomorrow.

Lord Platinum for tonight's shave. Stirling Rose, the more I use it the more I like it. The Lord Platinum gave me a pretty good shave, fairly close, and very smooth. One weeper, left side of my neck, but I believe that was on me. After shave burn with Clubman is minimal and went away very quickly. A few hours post-shave and my skin still feels smooth, no irritation when I rub my face. Interesting. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave with this blade.

Second shave for Lord Platinum. It was an enjoyable shave, smooth, and close. No weepers or nicks. No aftershave burn. This, my friends, is what wet shaving is all about. I know, YMMV, some don't like Lord blades, but I could have a shave like today's every day and be happy.
So, according to my testing protocol, I binned the Lord Platinum, and went onto the next brand, Lord Super Stainless. Or did I?
$13927559925_5b61b20634_z.jpg
The Lord Platinum wrappers had a blade that was marked identically as a Lord Super Stainless. Weird. Oh well, next shave I'm going to use a Lord Super Stainless that was wrapped in a Lord Super Stainless wrapper.
Not exactly sure which blade I just shaved twice with, but I liked it. I would definitely buy them again.

First shave with the Lord Super Stainless from the Super Stainless wrapper. If I closed my eyes and didn't know what wrapper held what blade, I don't think I could tell them apart. Anyway, I had a great shave today, no nicks or weepers. Close shave, smooth shave. And after a liberal splash and rub of Clubman Citrus Musk, I had zero after shave burn.
I have to say, I thought Lord blades were some second rate blade, but I will wholeheartedly disagree. I may have a new fav blade! But, alas, I have quite a few more blades to test out yet. Looking forward to tomorrow for shave #2.

Second day with Lord Super Stainless. The second shave was not as close as shave #1. Still close, still smooth and comfortable, but a few hours later, I feel the stubble returning. But like I said, it was a very smooth shave.
I think that I will send both of the Lord blades to round 2. I was pleasantly surprised by these blades. They don't get a lot of talk time it seems, but in my opinion, they certainly deserve it.

Shave 1 with PermaSharp. Whipped up some Stirling Clubman, lathered up, and shaved away. This blade gave a close comfortable shave. After shave burn was non-existent with the last of my sample of Fine American Blend. No nicks, no weepers.
Several hours later, skin is still smooth. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow's shave.
I will mention that this blade seemed to be the "loudest" by far, regarding audible feedback while shaving.

I just bought a pack of each of the Lords and I'll let you know if I have the same experience with the blades and wrappers being the same. I noticed that my box of the SS, as in your photo, has a holographic strip on it. I've heard that their are a lot of counterfeit Lords out their so I imagine this is the reason.

Second shave with a PermaSharp. A nice, close shave, the blade seemed to lose some sharpness this shave, but I still had a great shave. No nicks or weepers. No burn with a double handful of Clubman Special Reserve. 8 hours later, my stubble can be felt in a few spots, but other spots are still smooth.
This blade will go to round 2.
Tomorrow, Personna Labs.

First shave with the Personna Lab. Prep was my usual shower, soap was Stirling Clubman. I nicked the edge of my chinny-chin-chin, and that was my fault. The ground beef that was my neck wasn't. The blade shaves me smoothly above my jawline, but not so much on my neck. I had to use my syptic pencil on my neck. I had to hold it sideways and rub it on like a roll-on deodorant. I have had not so good shaves with the Lab in the past, but I optimistically chalked that up to my inexperience. Now my opinion has changed, I binned the blade and won't use it for a second shave. I used a double handful of The Veg and it burned, not just where I was bleeding from, either. This, like the Astra SP, is one of those blades I would really like to love, but just can't.

the labs have mixed qc, i do find a blade here and there that is bad usually the next one is normal. this does not happen or at least i have not had it happen with the meds which i think is where the price difference comes in. i think they are the same blades but the meds have much better qc.

Med Prep shave #1. Ahhhhhhh.... Hard to believe that the Lab that chewed me up came from the same company. I am pretty much done with the Stirlings, after the "meh" of the Clubman scent. I used Mikes Barbershop today, and will use that for the remainder of my testing.
A glorious shave, great post shave feel, a cross between rubbery and velvety, and just a very slight burn on my jawline. The Veg was my chosen aftershave today, or rather, The Veg chose me.
I will be having a weekend away with Mrs Galaktus, and I usually shave with a straight when away, so I will return to my testing on Sunday night.

Top Bottom