What's new

Using a puck like a stick!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's something that I've been thinking about for a little while now but I still didn't do anything yet.

This is not a puck versus stick type of thread. The subject is well covered here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Puck_vs_Shave_Stick but, if someone wants to add to it, they are welcome.

I know the different lathering techniques and they work well no issues. If I could, I would use my shave pucks like shave sticks. Hang on... :blush: I can!

There are a few options where one can transform any product : Puck <-> Stick

However, what I was thinking about was how can I use that puck *without* transforming it in a stick. I might go ahead with the transformation but eternal lack of empty containers (No, I won't buy film cans, deodorant, glue containers, etc to host a stick) it's a bit difficult to transform the product since I might end up with 10 white shave sticks and I won't know after a while which is which.

If I could either keep the product in some type of container, it could help. If that production could be taken out of the container to apply the product on my bead, it would be great. Now, how can I do that.

Cling wrap or plastic film could be an option but wet plastic film is horrible to play with and won't stick much on itself.

Aluminum foil. What I have is thicker than what Palmolive, Tabac, Speick, Arko, Wilkinson Sword, etc. has. I also think that I have a higher risk of cutting myself with one of those.

What can I use to wrap that puck to I can use it? Would it be to stick it on a plastic lid and use the lid as a stick holder?

Any ideas?

Aluminum foil. What I have is thicker than what Palmolive, Tabac, Speick, Arko, Wilkinson Sword, etc. has. I also think that I have a higher risk of cutting myself with one of those.
Just cut the foil back far enough and there is no danger of cutting yourself

Luc

Staff member
What about a paper towel? You could use the paper towel as a grip aid, then just put the puck back into the container/baggie. Or just use a face towel, and use it like the paper towel.

I have omitted the foil and it works great for firmer pucks, like Haslinger, TFS hard ones and L'Occitane. Not so well with softer pucks like Stirling samples and Pannacrema.

The interesting thing with this method is that the soaps seem to produce a more pronounced glide. I am in the habit of doing the cleanup pass by adding only water ('stretching the mix' as mr Roberts would have said). This puts the soap to a severe test and demands heavy loading.

Since I also like to indulge in massive amounts of lather I really enjoy face lathering with my larger brushes. They produce the goods if you load it like you hate it, as the saying goes.

The only 'downside' I have found is that some of the Stirling samples are of the same color as my skin, which makes it hard to judge how much soap is on the face. This of course gives me an excuse to load more soap... :001_rolle

Wow, I had no idea it could be this complicated. I just grab the puck, rub it on my face like a stick, and put the puck back in the bowl where I store it. I know it's popular to use the edge of the puck, but I use the larger flat surface since the increased surface area means less time spent loading.

Wow, I had no idea it could be this complicated. I just grab the puck, rub it on my face like a stick, and put the puck back in the bowl where I store it. I know it's popular to use the edge of the puck, but I use the larger flat surface since the increased surface area means less time spent loading.

My method exactly, except that I have a bath soap tray ('on loan' from SWMBO) for storing the puck between shaves.

Luc

Staff member

It's not complicated, I am trying to find a way to use the puck and keep the waste to a minimum. If my fingers are wet when I grab the puck, I will need to wash my hands or at least get that soap off before I grab the razor.

You will say it's no biggie but a wrapper around a stick allow me to pick-up the soap with wet fingers and I can shave right away. I might be trying to cut a 5 second corner here but I think the foil sounds like the best solution for now.

This is the only way I've used a soap. I just hold the bare puck and rub it on my face. I left it out in a mug overnight to dry, then put it back in the ziploc bag I store it in for travel. Worked ok, even though I didn't have a brush with me and "lathered" with my hands.

Soap used was VdH deluxe.

It's not complicated, I am trying to find a way to use the puck and keep the waste to a minimum. If my fingers are wet when I grab the puck, I will need to wash my hands or at least get that soap off before I grab the razor.

You will say it's no biggie but a wrapper around a stick allow me to pick-up the soap with wet fingers and I can shave right away. I might be trying to cut a 5 second corner here but I think the foil sounds like the best solution for now.

Ok, I see what you're driving at.

I'm one sloppy latherer...even when I use my plastic deodorant container of Arko I end up with soap on my fingers.

Wow, I had no idea it could be this complicated. I just grab the puck, rub it on my face like a stick, and put the puck back in the bowl where I store it.

Way too complicated.
I just rub my face directly on the puck of soap in its bowl.

This is obviously the best solution:

Attachments

• $121512-1bron.jpg
    $121512-1bron.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 89
  • $121512bron.jpg
    $121512bron.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Luc,

In the states we have this form of parchment paper called "Glad sticky paper" or something like that. Its made by glad. Anyway, it has quite a bit of stick to it, and sticks when wet. I've used it for storing cheese in the past. A friend of mine brought it to France and his family was so awestruck by the stuff that they insist he brings them some every time he goes. I don't know if you have it in the 51st state but I think it might suit your needs just perfectly.

I have always thought of using my pucks like this but I have grated most of them down and don't want them to crumble if I am to use them this like this.

But, this may (or may not) work.

The next time you order a pizza, save those little plastic tables that prevents the top of the box from hitting the cheese. I was thinking you could get some wax paper and put it over the puck. Cut the wax paper to the same diameter of the soap puck and leave a little extra so that you can cup the puck and have your hands go over and still not touch the puck. Cut the "table legs" so that they are going into the puck just enough to pierce the wax paper and stick into the puck. Don't want them protruding through the other side and scraping your face. If you do this the wax paper should stay in place and you can even use that little plastic thing for friction.

Yours truly,

Senshi "Japanese Pizza boy"

Luc

Staff member
Just plain old kitchen foil. I have thought of fixing labels to the outside of the foil 'for appearance' ha ha

I will give this a go then

Parchment paper is waterproof. I use this to wrap around sticks and seal the ends with an Elmer's glue stick. Label with a sharpie.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Genuine-Parchment-Paper-30-sf/11027109

I will also try this one and see which works best

Luc,

In the states we have this form of parchment paper called "Glad sticky paper" or something like that. Its made by glad. Anyway, it has quite a bit of stick to it, and sticks when wet. I've used it for storing cheese in the past. A friend of mine brought it to France and his family was so awestruck by the stuff that they insist he brings them some every time he goes. I don't know if you have it in the 51st state but I think it might suit your needs just perfectly.

I don't think that I saw the "sticky" version here. I will keep an eye out.

Top Bottom