What's new

2014 . the Year of the Bow Tie.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, for me anyhow.

Before mid-November of 2013, I had worn a bow tie about a grand total of three times, only one of which not involving a tuxedo.

Well, November was when I started wearing them at work on an occasional basis. The very first time I wore a very conservative "churchill dot" tie, and still felt rather self-conscious wearing it. I did, however, receive several compliments, so gained confidence. Ditto the next time. I could bring myself to wear one about once a week, on whatever day felt most "casual" ... not that a bowtie is more "casual" than a regular tie, but there's more "whimsy" in wearing one. So there ya go.

I picked up some more bow ties (from Le Noued Papillon, an Australian website that makes excellent bow ties) during their end-of-season sale, and now have quite the collection which I wear two or three times a week.

The feeling of self-consciousness has all but gone away. Yes, I felt "odd" wearing bow ties at first, as if anyone who looked at me was thinking ... and on the verge of saying to me ... "hey, why are you wearing that silly thing? You should wear a regular tie like the rest of us!" ... but that has passed: just a product of my over-active imagination, fueled by that self-consciousness.

I remember going through the same emotional progression when I started wearing three-piece suits sometimes, instead of always two-piece.

Ditto when I started wearing "real" hats.

So I'm going to keep wearing bow ties ... I even have plans to order one or three from Sam Hober, once I decide on a proper length.

2014: The Year of the Bow Tie.

Agreed. I just started wearing a bow tie and it took a while to no longer feel out of place. I never wanted to be know as "the bow tie guy". Not sure why it feels weird. Every time I wear one, I get complemented.

strop

Now half as wise
Istarted wearing bow ties at lest 25 years ago when "casual Friday" came into existence. Over the last 10 years I included the occasional other day, and now more often than not have on a bow tie. Several others have also jumped on the bandwagon.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Istarted wearing bow ties at lest 25 years ago when "casual Friday" came into existence.

Right from the start I usually made sure one of my bow-tie-days was Friday. It let me tell people about "Bow Tie Fri", if asked.

:wink2:

Some guys can pull them off nicely, some can't. My children's pediatrician is one who cannot, and he wears one everyday. I assume it's for the amusement of the children because they are very large and very loud. I find it difficult to have a serious discussion with him when I have a sick child. I expect his tie to start spinning and water to squirt out of a flower on his lapel.

Wore a bow tie in high school and college (70s) now going back go them. Just bought 3 and two vests to start out with. 2014 is the year of the bow tie.

I started wearing them in earnest about a month ago, and now, when I wear a normal tie, everyone asks where the bow tie is! So I guess it's accepted. But I agree, I felt completely self-conscious the first few times (weeks) I wore them...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Last week I visited one of our customers in MS, one of their fork lift drivers is wearing bow ties daily. Maybe he read the 2014 is the year of the bow tie.

I have been wearing bow ties for a few years now. I love them and people remember who I am because I am that guy who wears the great bow ties. It takes a special person to wear a bow tie.

Started wearing them when a female friend of mine offhandedly said that I would look good in them. Own about 5 now, get many compliments!

One of the funniest ones that I ever got was from a group of asian, erm, urban peoples? Came into work, the kid was wearing very saggy jeans, a letterman jacket, flat billed baseball cap, and had long dreads with piercings tattoos etc. Told me that my bowtie looked very gangster.

A few minutes later, his friend, who was a very macho type, brash boston kid, clearly grew up in the inner city, asked me what it takes to pull off a bowtie. Thought that he was going to give me crap, or call me fruity for wearing them haha (just how he talks). I responded with "balls," showed him how to tie it, and he bought one a few days later.

It's coming back!

You get comments on them because... wait for it... you're the only person most people have ever seen wearing one. Much like how a man wearing a cravat or top hat will get comments.

They're not coming back, and most guys still look silly wearing them. My 2 cents, anyways.

Year of the bow tie

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 152
I went into business for myself in 1980. Promptly sued on a non compete contract. My attorney had started wearing a bow tie. I told him there was no way in hell he was going into court representing me with a bow tie. I lost the argument but won the case. I to this day have never said a bad word about a bow tie.

It's a good look that more people should try. Personally, I find them very liberating. You don't have to worry about where they hang in relation to you belt buckle and seat belts don't interfere with them as much. If you really want to be comfortable try pairing them with braces instead of a belt.

I haven't worn a bow tie since the 70's.

What I am hearing from the posts so far is something that a client told me many years ago when I started wearing a panama hat for protection when I was outside on the inventory lot of the auto dealership. He complimented me about my hat and I told him that I was a little self consicence about wearing it.

He said: "How old are you? Aren't you at the age that you don't give a S*!+ what other people think about you?

I wear a hat every day now without a thought about it, unless I don't have one on,then I feel naked ("real ones" too)....

My point is, that if you want to wear a bow tie and it makes you happy, do you really care what others think? (There is no anger in this question.)

I encourage each and everyone of you to wear what you want!

During my recent 9 day VIP vacation at the Missouri Baptist Hospital for a triple bypass, I noticed more bow ties running around the hospital, than I ever have seen since the 70's. (It wasn't the drugs I was on either) They gentlemen stood out from the crowd in a very sharp manor. They looked extremely professional.

Once again gentlemen, look sharp, wear your bow ties, your hats, your vests, have a shine on your shoes, and a smile on your face with a kind word to everyone that you meet. Every day is a gift.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He said: "How old are you? Aren't you at the age that you don't give a S*!+ what other people think about you?

My point is, that if you want to wear a bow tie and it makes you happy, do you really care what others think? (There is no anger in this question.)

Agreed.

I don't think it's a magic age you reach when you are allowed to feel that way, but a philosophical level you (hopefully ... not everyone gets there) reach at some point in your life's journey ... it's just more likely to be found with the benefit of age and experience.

... and it takes a bit of practice.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have been wearing bow ties for a few years now. I love them and people remember who I am because I am that guy who wears the great bow ties. It takes a special person to wear a bow tie.

Indeed- I remember every bow tie wearer I have ever met

Bow ties are fantastic. I wish I had the opportunity to wear them more often (ever) but I'm rarely in a tie/suit scenario due to the blue/white collar shift in what I do every day.

Today at church, I saw my first bow tie...our youth director was sporting one. He looked very sharp in it. If it wasn't for that little glitch in my life, I should have been the first bow tie wearing, fedora wearing, wet shaving, shoes shining sharp dress man...

LOL

I feel obliged to amend, or rather, clarify my earlier post. I'm all in favour of people wearing what they enjoy, whether it's mainstream or not - after all, I wear a fedora during the colder months.

It's possible that some of you may have seen my objections to the negative comments being made about young people in hats in another thread. It's also possible that you might think I'm a hypocrite for objecting there and yet saying here that bow ties look silly. I would argue that making a generalization of character about all people who wear a piece of clothing is very different from expressing an opinion about how that piece of clothing looks, but that's not the point I'm interested in making.

One of the most wonderful (and also most dangerous) features of the internet is that it can bring many like-minded people together in a way that wasn't really possible before. This leads to wonderful forums about shaving, pocket knives, my little ponies, and pretty much everything else under the sun. The risk we face in such communities, however, is that the positive reinforcement of so many like-minded people can blind us to the fact that our interests may be truly uncommon and perceived very differently by those whom we must interact with in real life.

Therefore, I find value in dissenting opinions. Much as I disliked the tone of posts about young people in fedoras, I valued the insight they provided on how other people might interpret my choices.

It's all well and good to say that you don't care one bit about what other people think - but the reality is that other people's opinions can have a very real effect on your life, no matter how old you are. I think it's better to know what people think, and not care about it too much. The underlying idea here is that not knowing what other people think is dangerous.

Anyways, I don't expect anyone to thank me for saying that I find bow ties silly and that I'm extremely sceptical about them ever coming back (in fact, I quite fervently hope that they don't!), but I hope that you will understand that I'm not saying it just to be mean or ornery.

Top Bottom