What's new

Sheffield Appreciation Thread

I'm not about to photograph them individually , and there are a lot more if I sort through the other drawers but in one pic here are 50+ W&Bs ( left , center and across the top) and the rest are Wostenholms.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 194
Too cool! This is the first time Ive seen other examples of the curved W&B blade besides the ONE that I have . Most never knew they existed for all the times I've asked.
there just had to be others. Wow!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 175
I'm not about to photograph them individually , and there are a lot more if I sort through the other drawers but in one pic here are 50+ W&Bs ( left , center and across the top) and the rest are Wostenholms.

Astonishing! Sheffield Central [emoji3]

This William Rodgers is new to me. The profile reminds me of Hart razors.

I've never heard of the maker but they also manufacture Fairbairn-Sykes commando knives, so she's got a great pedigree.

I've always felt that the combination of sheffield steel and coticule stone make for spectacular results. I expect this beauty to be no different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thumb notch!
Are those horn scales?

Gotta have them thumbnotches! The scales are made from some natural material, but I'm unsure what, not an expert. But it doesn't seem like wood, since if it was it'd have to be painted or varnished, and the natural color would show through damages. It however seems to have the same color throughout, so it just might be horn.

This arrived today:
proxy.php

Old, tired and dirty quarter hollow but really elegant lines and it gave me a great shave tonight two world wars and a century after John and William Ragg made it.
Great work Gentlemen!

Been sheffield born and bred makes this a little more special for me, a nice ivory clad George Butler set amongst one of many Sheffield razor I've owned
$20151122_154026.jpg

But I can't resist a Wade and butcher $20160109_191225.jpg

Last edited:
It was unused, still had the original strop paste unopened in the little compartment on the right, leather box was in as new condition, guess sometime we don't appreciate what we have till we lose or sell it :)

This beautiful pair of "Tigers" from W A Colley has arrived:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

9/16 near wedges - I normally like 6/8+ extra hollows so this is a bit of a change.
But they are such nimble and supremely comfortable shavers that I'm converted.
And there's a picture of a tiger standing on an arrow so that clinches it!

The Sheffield directories list WA Colley as trading from 1892 but the design of these razors and boxes looks a bit earlier than that.

The scales are made of a dense horn and, weirdly, there's no spacer:
proxy.php

Back to Sheffield for me this morning with the Taylor's 1000
proxy.php

What a quality razor, and it took a great edge very quickly.

This is a full hollow so I guess one of the later Eye Witness razors.
Excellent!
proxy.php

proxy.php

I had a Mousehole from about the same era. Very nice little anvil I wish I still had. The only problems I have had with English anvils is the face is pretty soft & you see a lot of sway back Mouseholes & Peter Wright's. Other than that they are great anvils.

Dave H.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Joseph Rogers (CTTM) in ivory. It was a wild find a few weeks ago.
Typical Sheffeld near wedge just a unicorns breath under 7/8.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Top Bottom