What's new

Shaving creme advice. Taylor bond old street sandlewood

If you go with TOBS Sandalwood you better really love the Sandalwood scent. Great lather, quality, etc but wasn't for me. I'm more of a bright scent Italian soap guy so take it for what it is worth. Ended up with the Grapefruit and Avocado...awesome!

Hmmm, never had a problem with the TOBS sandalwood... I run a damp brush through the cream, and start whipping, gently adding small amounts of water until I get the consistency I want... Never takes all that long, and its good, thick lather?

Dean

I just noticed that he said he has problems lathering TOBS soap. I can't speak for the soap but the cream is great, takes very little to get a nice tuck lather.

I find that it doesn't mAke a very thick protective layer. When I use the Nivea gel, it seems quite thick and comfortable.

As for my technique. I was lathering it in a bowl and adding water when necessary for 1-2 mins. I later tried, and preferred, just lathering it right on my face as it seemed to come out thicker. Any advice from what I just said?

thanks for letting me know that you guys do eniiy it, gives me hope that I'll like it still. If I can get it right.

I've been using TOBS for quite a while. I use about an almond sized amount of cream and lather it up for about 2 mins in a mug. This provides enough lather for at least 4 passes. I also use a pre-shave oil before I shave irrespective of the shaving cream as I have extremely sensitive skin. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I'm finding that I can't seem to get an enjoyable shave with Taylor of old bond street shaving creme. Not sure if it's my lather technique or what..... Been using Nivea sensitive skin shaving gel instead and that's been awesome though.

What has your experience with Taylor of old bond street been like?

Sorry to hear that you have been having problems......Sometimes we often think it is our technique, but in all honesty many of us have hard water and this effects our lather.....I have really enjoyed great shaves with TBOS and it is my "GO TO" shaving cream.....I like to keep a few different ones on hand like TBOS Avocado, TBOS Sandalwood and TBOS Jermyn St. which is one of my favorites. I get really nice creamy smooth lathers that gives my razors a nice glide for a smooth shave.....You may look at getting a filter system if you find that you have hard water, I know my Dad has very hard water at his place and this worked well for hiim....Just a thought....

I get cut a lot when using TOBS sandal wood refil .
I tried to use a more dull blade and it made a difference.
i dont think ill use it and just throw it away. i find shaving creams like kiss my face moisture shave and l'occitane cade are way better. try kiss my face moisture shave, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

We are getting opposite results. Nothing wrong with Nivea gel, it's okay, but TOBS Natural whips up into a very creamy lather for me with minimum effort. It does not take a lot of product, but I make sure I use enough, and get great results.

Ron I

Among TOBS selections, I have tried only the Lavender. It sells in the same size as AoS but without the AoS tub's deceiving false bottom, and TOBS is around half the price. I've had good shaves with it. Even at half AoS', I still consider it a bit pricey. I tend to stretch it by mixing in some Arko Regular Krem. I use pre-shave oil with creams, as they do not have the slickness of a good soap like Arko. With that much prep, TOBS, like my other creams, lathers well and gives good shaves. Like always, individual results may vary.

I use TOBS Sandlewood daily with a bowl lather. I soak the brush in the bowl of hot water while showering, dump the bowl, shake off the water from the brush, add a finger drag of cream to the brush, and lather. Generally, this creates a think dryish lather in about a minute. I either add a touch more water or just continue lathering on a wet face from there. For what it's worth i use an omega 49 or semogue 620. Ive found that for me: too thin or disappearing lather = too much water on the brush--im better off shaking it almost free if water after a soak and then adding more as needed. Cheers, and have fun!

Hey guys,

I'm finding that I can't seem to get an enjoyable shave with Taylor of old bond street shaving creme. Not sure if it's my lather technique or what..... Been using Nivea sensitive skin shaving gel instead and that's been awesome though.

What has your experience with Taylor of old bond street been like?

I really can only speak about the Sandalwood ( which I love) because it's the only one I like. It is definitely not as slick as a lot of other soaps/croaps. I had to experiment a little to get the right amount of water. Unlike a lot of other soaps I have you can pretty quickly go overboard with water and make it useless. Nevertheless, it performs best with the maximum water content.

Interesting. My first real shaving cream was Art of Shaving Sandalwood which was gifted to me by my wife, bless her heart (but she had no idea what she was in for). Once that ran out the first one I bought for myself was Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. I love it. I have always found it lathers up very easily. I've since bought a bunch of other creams and find TOBS creams to all maintain a similar level of quality, ease of lathering and performance on the face which I find to be better than most of the other brands I've tried. I'm not sure if it is your technique but I have found that you need to add enough water to get that slick lather we all crave.

Last edited:
I find that it doesn't mAke a very thick protective layer. When I use the Nivea gel, it seems quite thick and comfortable.

As for my technique. I was lathering it in a bowl and adding water when necessary for 1-2 mins. I later tried, and preferred, just lathering it right on my face as it seemed to come out thicker. Any advice from what I just said?

thanks for letting me know that you guys do eniiy it, gives me hope that I'll like it still. If I can get it right.

Try placing a dime sized dallop directly on the brush and face lather. If too thick, slightly moisten the tip of the brush with warm water and continue face lathering until you get the desired consistency. If too thin, add a tad more cream and continue lathering. TOBS Sandalwood is probably the most luxurious and easiest lathering, beard busting cream I have ever used. If you cannot get an acceptable level of cushion and/or lubricity with any of the TOBS creams, it's gotta be technique. Just my opinion. Good luck with it. I use the TOBS Sandalwood in the colder months of the year, and Proraso Green Tub in the warmer summer months. I lov'em both. Excellent products.

I get cut a lot when using TOBS sandal wood refil .
I tried to use a more dull blade and it made a difference.
i dont think ill use it and just throw it away. i find shaving creams like kiss my face moisture shave and l'occitane cade are way better. try kiss my face moisture shave, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

actually not only more cuts, but also a lot of razor bumps too

Sorry to hear that you have been having problems......Sometimes we often think it is our technique, but in all honesty many of us have hard water and this effects our lather.....I have really enjoyed great shaves with TBOS and it is my "GO TO" shaving cream.....I like to keep a few different ones on hand like TBOS Avocado, TBOS Sandalwood and TBOS Jermyn St. which is one of my favorites. I get really nice creamy smooth lathers that gives my razors a nice glide for a smooth shave.....You may look at getting a filter system if you find that you have hard water, I know my Dad has very hard water at his place and this worked well for hiim....Just a thought....
A tip for anyone in a hard water area, add a little bicarbonate of soda to your water (i add a teaspoon per bowl/sink of water) , it takes away a lot of the hardness in the water, its not the same as naturally soft water but it makes hard water a lot more manageable

TOBS products have one drawback. They are so effective that I have to work hard on swirling for the shortest possible time to avoid having a brush still loaded with unctuous shave lather after 3 satisfying passes.
TOBS is tops.

Top Bottom