What's new

Florence, Italy trip. Advice needed.

Hi all. Getting married in August and going on a honeymoon to Italy and Amsterdam. We will be staying in florence mostly and I hear that is where most of the shaving shops are. I would like to get a straight shave or five, some quality software, and the holy grail would be to get a 7-day straight set. Any tips or other threads to check out? Specific shop names? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

Honeymoon?! Congrats!
just a little advice...don't go overboard on shave stuff on a honeymoon!
put the emphasis (and Euros) on the Bride!
Having said that, she would also enjoy visiting Santa Maria Novella!
have fun! Send pix!

Good tip right there^^^ she actually said I should get some kind of shave souvenir from our trip. But your tight, don't think she knows I want a seven day or how much they will be. I don't even know that yet lol. I'll look into that one place. Thanks.

AUGUST WEST:
Thanks for this. I will have to look at it later tonight when I have time. Don't quite see a florence area of shops scanning through it now. But it looks like a great start.

"Leave the Proraso, take the carbonara."

Okay I'm paraphraing the Godfather which might be blasphemy, but I am excited on your behalf for Florence. I love love love that city. It's walkable, full of life, art, and OMG the FOOD! We had the best plate of Carbonara in our two week Italian trip at a restaurant called Maso' Pizzeria. I actually went into Quicken to look up the name, and confirm it on Google street view for you. It's closer to the train station & Santa Maria Novella, than the Duomo, but worth finding. Also, if you're into science, try the Galileo museum, whose entrance fee includes an audio+video digital tourguide, with additional information on the exhibits - it uses some localized position to tell what cabinet you are staring into! No "Dial 112", and if you want a video of some gadget working, there's a good chance it has it on the player!

Be careful too, she might say "get a shave souvenir" so then she can get a "leather souvenir" - the prices on those wallets, ouch! Want a pristine Toggle? I didn't even dare ask the boot costs! ;)

I too spent some time in Florence last year after an amazing trip to Mastro Livi. I highly recommend a visit to the Santa Maria Novella shop. It's simply stunning and your wife to be will love the amazing range of products.

proxy.php

Here's some of the products I bought:

proxy.php

And that Damascus!!!!! Holy smokes that's a nice blade. Would love to come home with something like that.

Definitely get some SMN soap, its pretty much my favorite and I'm regretting not having bought two! (it was 35E when I went in Weptember).

Most of all, have fun! And don't forget to climb up to Piazza Michelangelo for a stunning sunset view of the city!

Congrats, and good to hear! Similar situation, and we're going to (she picked ;)) France and Spain (with a day trip to Morocco). Until your thread, I didn't even think to explore the established traditional shave community over there... I was just wondering which implements to bring and not worry about getting confiscated by airport security! I don't think I want to rely on the Parker Shavette for what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation, that thing was feisty compared to proper straights. The Feather was better, but I don't want to lose that either. Any shaving abroad recommendations from the community?

Congrats, and good to hear! Similar situation, and we're going to (she picked ;)) France and Spain (with a day trip to Morocco). Until your thread, I didn't even think to explore the established traditional shave community over there... I was just wondering which implements to bring and not worry about getting confiscated by airport security! I don't think I want to rely on the Parker Shavette for what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation, that thing was feisty compared to proper straights. The Feather was better, but I don't want to lose that either. Any shaving abroad recommendations from the community?

Last time I traveled on vacation for 3 weeks I just used a DE + canned goo. I love/prefer to use straights, but for convenience (and size it takes) its hard to beat a safety razor. The goal of the vacation is to spend time visiting, relaxing etc... But depending on where you stay you may not have so much room for much shaving gear, possibly won't have a bathroom with decent mirror/lighting to see what's you're doing etc...

Good points. I read some guys packed multiple straights (I'd assume in a roll) so a strop wasn't necessary, but that would just give me more anxiety! Not to mention the extra weight and space when traveling abroad, although stropless. Perfect excuse to refamiliarize myself with my first loves in quality shaving.

Yes I will be taking a DE, Arko stick, and muhle silvertip fibre for ease of traveling. I am more concerned with where to get those couple of straight shaves from a barber, one fancy new straight(would be a first) or a vintage hopefully semi affordable seven day set.
While on the topic cod traveling and shaving I had the WORST shaves in Vegas. Determined it had to do with the harder water and my skin prob already being dryer.

Try Mustermann's in Via dei Fossi. If you're in P.za SMN, ( near officina smn) head towards the river in that street and it will be to your right as you reach the last piazza before the bridge. There are others as well! I'm referring to supplies only and can look into a place to get a shave if you'd like.

Last edited:
Go long on Proraso - it's as cheap as chips in Italy and I love the stuff, especially the feel of their pre post shave cream! Enjoy your time there, Italy is a lovely country.

My wife and I honeymooned in Florence and Rome. No advice on the shave stuff, but Florence is the most beautiful place on the world, and Rome's not far behind. Enjoy!

Top Bottom