What's new

Polsilver Super Iridiums, best blade ever?

My favorite blade right now is the Gillette Silver Blue. After working through a sampler pack, it was the best blade for me by a fair margin both in terms of how good the shave was and how many shaves each blade would get me.

Fast forward, I placed an order with WCS and added a five pack of Bolzanos and Polsilvers. The Bolzanos were pretty nice, but not quite as nice as the Silver Blues. But the Polsilvers just slice through my whiskers like they're not even there and the blade feels like it has a really smooth edge. Finished shave #4 today and I can't notice any loss in sharpness yet. I'm going to have to do some side by side shaves in two razors with the same head and see which one lasts the longest while still delivering a great shave.

I have noticed that my favorite blades tend to be Russian (Silver Blue, regular Nacet, Polsilver). Maybe I should use vodka as an aftershave? :lol:

I Agree with you, still at my first SIP blade , 4th shave this morning and felt great

while im here
i have two SUPER IRIDIUM (without the polsilver) still made in Russia,

any idea if theyre different ?

I recently purchased Polisilvers at Pasteur Pharmacy and for me (in my EJ89l razor) they haven't been nearly as good as the Russian-made SIs I have or the other Russian-made blades (Perma-sharp Supers and Gillette Yellows) I normally use. YMMV, but I was disappointed.

I Agree with you, still at my first SIP blade , 4th shave this morning and felt great

while im here
i have two SUPER IRIDIUM (without the polsilver) still made in Russia,

any idea if theyre different ?

I have no idea. I found a difference between the Nacet and Gillette Nacet, so maybe?

Yes super iridiums from Russia and polsilver super iridiums also from Russia are identical blades in different packaging. Best current production blade IMHO.

I have only used about 12-15 different blades in my 6 months into DE shaving but as soon as I used a Polsilver SI I ordered 100 and stopped my blade search. My face just loves em.

I used one for the first time this morning, and was very impressed. My current favorites have been the Gillette Silver Blue and the Astra SP.

Polsilver Super Iridiums, best blade ever?

No, it is not the best blade ever.

Wilkinson blades, made in England around '80s, are the best blades ever made IMO.

The Polsilver SI's are one of the few blades I can get away with shaving with only water (no shave cream/soap - soak face with cold water and shave, add cold water to face between passes).

I have not used enough to say they are the best blade ever, but after using a few I can say they are up there with the best.

The Polsilver SI's are one of the few blades I can get away with shaving with only water (no shave cream/soap - soak face with cold water and shave, add cold water to face between passes).

:scared::scared::scared: Egads . .you must have skin of steel and whiskers of the softest silk! Do you also use iodine as an aftershave? :001_tongu

Even the mere thought of shaving without a good cream or soap, even with a blade as sharp and smooth as a PSI, is terrifying!

Vintage Gillette Super Stainless blades from the 70s. You can typically find them on eBay but they are getting a bit pricey. Typically run $0.75 to $ 1.25 US per blade.

Looks like I'll be scowering the bay tonight. Thanks! :)

Did they come in a dispenser?

Last edited:
Vintage Gillette Spoilers(Super Stainless), Gillette Plus Platinum, and Schick Platinum Plus blades are the best I have ever tried. I hear the Wilkinson "Light Brigade" blades were awesome too, though I have never tried any of them.

The Gillette 7 O'clock Black Super Platinum is the best modern blade I have tried, coming close to the performance of the aforementioned vintage blades.

Did they come in a dispenser?

Spoilers came in a dispenser that says Super Stainless, and may or may not say "the spoiler" - it's the same blade either way. They also came individually wrapped sometimes. Ones that say "stainless" without the super are NOT the same blade, and are inferior.

There are also modern production Gillette super stainless blades in packaging similar to the modern Gillette platinum packaging, and those aren't the same either.

Top Bottom