What's new

Thinking About Getting Into Straights

Been DE shaving for almost a year. Thinking about taking the plunge into Straights.

I have run across a restored Robert Klaas 5/8 "Kissing Cranes" razor for $219. Anyone with experience with this maker? Would this be a good razor to start out on?

Thanks.

If you are ready to spend that much, you can find a lot of very nice things. New or restored vintage. Even some NOS big brand.
So find something you really like.
I have not tried any Klaas, but I am sure they are fine razors. Still $219 seems a bit steep.

Good luck with it. I am having too much fun with DE razors. I doubt I will ever try straights. Do give us an update if you do though.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A vintage Robert Klass is a fine razor, and was in fact my first back in the 1970s.

There are lots of options in that range and below that are also great razors.

Cheers, Steve

Here is a pic of it. The original scales have been replaced by the red celluloid scales. I don't know what it is about this thing but I really like it, even though it is pricey. Question, would it be better than a new Dovo or T-I?
$420523394508.png
Thanks for the advice.

That looks like a fine razor, but the price is a little high IMHO. For that price range you have A LOT of options, new and vintage. My advice would be to get something a little less expensive to find out if you're going to enjoy using a straight.
:straight:

Unless you are in love with it, I don't suggest paying that for a restored razor. That's pushing into NOS razor prices. The only resto's I think are worth that are either very special (elaborate spinework, unique and original scales, highly sought after types (Wonderedge)) or huge (8/8).

I say go for it if you like it. There are a lot of nice razors out there for that kind of money though, so take your time and be sure you feel comfortable with your purchase.

If I were you, I would grab something for around $120-150 off Straight Razor Designs and a strop. They will even hone the razor for you before shipping it to you so that it's "shave ready". Just seems like the better value for a beginner IMO.

Unless you are in love with it, I don't suggest paying that for a restored razor. That's pushing into NOS razor prices. The only resto's I think are worth that are either very special (elaborate spinework, unique and original scales, highly sought after types (Wonderedge)) or huge (8/8).
So much information!

Are restorations not good?

I have no knowledge of this area of the hobby at all. I've heard of Dovo, Boker and Thiers-Issard but know nothing if one is better than another. I found this Klaas on Bob's Razors who does nothing but restorations. Are restorations not good because age has weakened the steel?

Info and thoughts please.

Get an entry level Ralf Aust for 100$. I would do that before plunging in for over 200$. What if SRs are not for you? Or better yet. Invest in a 20$ shavette and see if you can get used to the handling of the SR handle and shaving with both hands.

So much information!

Are restorations not good?

I have no knowledge of this area of the hobby at all. I've heard of Dovo, Boker and Thiers-Issard but know nothing if one is better than another. I found this Klaas on Bob's Razors who does nothing but restorations. Are restorations not good because age has weakened the steel?

Info and thoughts please.

Nothing wrong with (most) restored razors, just that in this case you are paying new sportscar prices for a used Toyota Corolla with a wax job and a vacuum. Maybe not a perfect analogy, but it's my opinion, anyway.

I have plenty of ugly old 15-20 dollar beaters that once honed up, could shave just as well as that one. True, not nearly as pretty, but if you are just looking for a good shave, you can go much cheaper.

Last edited:
So much information!

Are restorations not good?.
They can be very good.

Not all restorers are good. And generally you won't know how to tell if the one you bought was done well if it's your first razor. You can go on reputation of course, but that aside, a NOS razor has more value than a restored one if they're in the same condition, that's just the way it is; so paying NOS prices for restored razors isn't a wise investment.

An immaculate restoration is ideal when it fits a certain condition, say you WANT 5/8 Klass Kissing Cranes. Now a $220 mint restored example is a good investment because you're probably never going to find an unused, undamaged example of this specific razor. If you just want an immaculate 5/8" hollow ground, I'd spend the money getting something Unused or lightly used and in similar condition, they can certainly be found, oftentimes for less than what this razor is going for.

Age doesn't weaken steel, but there are complications that restored razors can present, though that's really the realm of another thread. Not all restorations maintain aspect ratio, which can change how the blade shaves. Heavier grinds that had a lot of material removed oftentimes can't even be detected by inspection without a reference to their unmodified states and can have huge changes in their shape.
Thinner grinds that had heavy polishing can actually be made too thin, where bending just a bit too roughly at some point in its life will break it or even fold it over like tin foil. And that's just for starters.

The main worry is that the vast majority of complications an imperfectly performed restoration or restoration performed on a blade that was beyond restoring to full function are not likely to be apparent from pictures. Now, I have no experience with Bob's razors, and I certainly don't want to suggest that anything they sell would have these issues, but there are a LOT of razor restorers out there, and many of them do not do work that you should ever pay hundreds of dollars for the results of.

Last edited:
Okay. I've been in touch with one of our wonderful members and have made a purchase for far far less on a Birko razor. Will get started that way.

Thank you for all of the advice.

Top Bottom