What's new

A.G. & N.C. # 106 Satin Edge Straight

I found an A.G. & N.C. # 106 Satin Edge straight Razor in an old antique store. The blade has no nicks but does need a bit of light surface rust taken off. It has yellow/light tan see through scales with inlaid gold plate on the tip of the handle. It also comes with the original box in good shape. The blade looks good and they are holding it for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Patrick

Last edited:
Pictures would help. If the scales are see through, and are made of celluloid, you might have an issue with cell-rot. If they're horn, then no worries.

$DDucks1.jpgThey won't go lower than $48. It is a Double Duck Satin. Does anyone think its worth it; adding cost of refurb? Thx.

No. The scales are celluloid and as it ages it releases an acidic gas that corrodes the blade. That's why the rust is only on the part of the blade that was between the scales. Its pretty much worthless.

That's not "light" surface rust.
That's INSANE surface rust.

Now if it is JUST surface rust, yeah it's worth it.

But I'd be surprised if that's just surface rust. And other than SatinWedges, ducks are very thin ground. You won't have much material to remove if there is pitting underneath. I'd never pay over $20 for that unless I could tell in person that I absolutely could sand the rust away and have blemish-free metal underneath.

Also, It's been awhile since I've seen Celluloid rot, but given the placement of all that rust, I'd consider that a possibility... and if that's the case, the scales are trash.

Thx for all the info and help. When I said rust it was wrapped in wax paper. But it looks rough. There are some on eBay for $20.00 more that look good.

I sold a very near mint Wonderedge on eBay a couple years back. Went for $130. Had I sold it a year earlier, it would have fetched $300-400. One (A WonderEdge) that looked like the razor you have here just sold for over $200 last week. Bide your time, razors are up and down. Last year even crappy Dorko's sold for hundreds of dollars. They seem to be coming down a bit now. Ducks are not at the highest I've seen them right now, but they're pretty high. Just keep your eyes on eBay if you want a duck, and when you see them at a dip (Nice looking Satin and Gold edges with little honewear and no warp to the scales under $100 is a dip), start thinking about buying.

Top Bottom