What's new

THE Chemex Brewer Thread

This is a cool thread! I've been using my 8 cup almost every day for the last 3 years or so. I'm a huge fan! I always use Chemex filters and a Kitchenaid A-1 grinder.

Chemex ROCKS. I've been stuck down here in the sweltering south trying to get a roof on my hurricane damaged house which they just finished last Thursday. I did bring one of my white home Bunn brewers and a "backup" Forte BG so not "suffering" (coffee wise anyway).

Chemex ROCKS. I've been stuck down here in the sweltering south trying to get a roof on my hurricane damaged house which they just finished last Thursday. I did bring one of my white home Bunn brewers and a "backup" Forte BG so not "suffering" (coffee wise anyway).

Well thank god for that! Thank goodness you have a roof over your head for the holidays. I wish you many more Christmas Blessings!

Chemex 8 here. Picked it up at work (JAX - a small chain sporting goods store) after the coffee bar made me a couple pour overs with one. I'm hooked.

Now what are you brewing today?

Peet's Major Dickenson. Sam's 3-lb bags. Lasts about a week, seems to be fresh - quite lively when the water hits it. OXO Barista grinder, medium, 7 cups. Don't weigh the water, pull the filter when the liquid gets to the bottom of the vent.

Peet's Major Dickenson. Sam's 3-lb bags. Lasts about a week, seems to be fresh - quite lively when the water hits it. OXO Barista grinder, medium, 7 cups. Don't weigh the water, pull the filter when the liquid gets to the bottom of the vent.

Very nice!! I've really enjoyed the Peet's I've tried. I brewed up some Royal Kona, 100% kona medium roast. Used my Kitchenaid A-1 on medium. I don't weigh water and pull just before my vent.

Got a 6-cup and nice kettle a few months ago have been enjoying it thoroughly.
proxy.php

Family took notice and was very kind with their gift selection for the Christmas holiday. Really digging the Handground adjustable grinder.
proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Family took notice and was very kind with their gift selection for the Christmas holiday. Really digging the Handground adjustable grinder.

Tell us more about that Handground grinder. I've seen a little about them, but I've yet to hear a trusted review.

Tell us more about that Handground grinder. I've seen a little about them, but I've yet to hear a trusted review.

Thus far I'm pretty pleased with the Handground. Have only used it for pour over, press, and auto drip but has produced a reasonably consistent grind for all. They include some spacers and an allen key for fine tuning (nice touch) but I haven't had to undertake that yet.

Can't speak to how it does for finer grinds but will let you know when I do.

One thing that I find a bit perplexing is that the hopper can hold over 100g of beans but the bottom holds maybe 60g max.

Some have complained of it being made a bit top heavy and awkward to grind with, but I find that it stays put pretty well ( a very nice sticky pad on the bottom ) and with a little attention, have had no ergonomics issues when grinding.

I haven't clocked my grinding, but I'm guessing about 2.5 - 3 min for my 44g for the Chemex.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I wondered about the capacity. The hopper and bottom part did seem mismatched. However, I suppose one could fill the hopper and grand what one likes (if not concerned about measuring precisely). Like you, I weigh my beans and then grind what I've weighed.

It sounds like a very decent grinder, then, even if on the pricey side.

I received a 6-cup Chemex and goose-neck kettle for Christmas this year, and I am loving it! I really enjoy just how crisp flavors are in the coffee and how clean the cup is. I'm currently on vacation, and unfortunately I was unable to bring it with me. However, I plan on picking me up some beans while I'm gone.

I found the 17:1 ratio too strong, i'm all the way up to 25:1 water:coffee now, my #s seem way off, could it be my new time or technique?

Ended up with 500g of brewed coffee, and I forgot if I put 10 or 15g of coffee in, but this was the best cup ive brewed to date. It wasnt weak, it wasnt strong, it was smooth, it wasnt bitter, and I tasted all these flavors! It was exactly what I was after.. not to reproduce it! :-O

Using a Chemex, what type of coffee grind to you use? How much coffee does it take?

Do you just use the normal coffee maker stuff commonly found everywhere or, is it like a French Press with a special grind?

Chemex filters flow rather quickly so I use a moderate to moderate fine grind.

You want to brew in around 4 minutes so adjust your grind until it flows around that time frame +/-

The finer the grind the slower the brew time

The coarser the grind the faster the brew time.

How much weight of ground coffee will depend on the size of your Chemex and how strong or weak you want your coffee.

Is an Espresso grind too fine? I like a fairly strong cup of coffee. Do you tamp it a bit like you do in a good espresso machine portafilter? I typically use a 6 cup coffee maker which is about right with enough for me and a friend but not unreasonably large for me by myself. I had to cut back on my Espresso due to heart issues (I tend to enjoy too many at home ...).

If I'm not careful, I'm apt to learn what the Espresso equivalent is to AA. :w00t:

A very fine grind would make the brew time extend to over extraction and a bitter taste.

Grind = time with filtered pour over coffee

Adjust the time by adjusting the grind

30 second steep + 4 minutes brew time is what you want to shoot for.

Top Bottom