What's new

Organics Studio Ink

It seems to me that Organics Studio Inks seem to be growing in both popularity and product line depth. For those of you that have used Organics Studio Inks, what are your overall thoughts?

I have both Uranium and Nitrogen and love them! The Uranium is my daily ink at this time, in my Forest Green "51" and the Nitrogen is in my "51" Flighter! I was not successful with my scans and reviews of both, I will try again. They are fairly water resistant with the Uranium beating out the Nitrogen by a bit.

Tom

I've got several Organics Studio inks...Foggy Bottom Yellow Sepia, John Hancock (Black), F. Scott Fitzgerald (Dark Orange), Blue Merle (Blue-Gray), and Mark Twain (Purple-Blue). I like them quite a bit. They're all well-behaved. They're not super-saturated, which I find a nice change of pace from Noodler's and Diamine, and shade well.

I've chatted with Tyler (the owner/operator of OS) a couple of times at local pen shows. He's enthusiastic, creative, and deserves the recent increased attention his inks have received. I just noticed that Goulet Pens has started to carry Organics Studio inks again. They were one of the first retailers to stock them, but discontinued them when Tyler wasn't able to keep up with demand due to his college course load. He seems to have overcome those problems and has signed up quite a few retailers recently.

I've got the Jane Austen. I've been searching for a purple which is water-resistant, relatively trouble free in most pens, and a shade that I like, and I've tried quite a few, none of them fully satisfactory. Someone on another forum had claimed that this one was highly water resistant, which turned out not to be true, not even close; the person who had made the claim admitted to a mistake. The search for the perfect purple goes on. It is a nice color, though. Just not what I was looking for.

People want different things from their fountain pen inks, and this line has a pretty good selection of colors, anyway. Some of the other colors are supposed to be water resistant.

Last edited:
I need to remind myself to try this brand of ink. There has been a bottle of OS Aristotle (iron-gall) resting on my desk for a few months. So much ink, so little time. :syn:

I started using Organics Inks about six months ago. I have bottles of Manganese, Green Sepia (Join or Die) and Blue Merle. I don't usually buy bottles of ink since I have several inks I really like (i.e. Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri & Asa-Gao). However, I liked these inks so much I purchased them and use them regularly at the office.

As an aside, I had the chance to meet Tyler at the Ohio Pen Show and found him to be both knowledgeable and friendly. I'd like to see him succeed and was happy to see Goulet pick up his line recently. His inks are generally well behaved and some colors are unique. Are they better than everything else out there? Probably not. After all there are a lot of inks available to us today. But there are some really good ones and his story is interesting.

Pick up some samples at Goulets and try them out.

I like the OS inks but some have been hit or miss and most seem to get a bit crusty. I picked up Aristotle and Blue Merle a few weeks ago and originally I thought I liked Aristotle more. Now that I have had time to play with them Aristotle is relegated to copperplate practice with a dip pen and blue Merle went from being meh to being a nice dark blue gray after I let my lamy sit for a week or so.

They tend to do well on cheap paper so that is always a plus and it is wicked cool watching some one build their brand.

Thought I would bump this thread as I recently cracked the seal on my bottle of Aristotle. I loaded a Pilot Prera (M) this past weekend. Below are my initial thoughts.

This ink feels thin but well-lubricated. It is not dry like most iron galls. The color reminds of Lamy Blue Black with a touch of teal in the mix. The dry down doesn't produce a drastic color change but it does darken. Works well on different quality papers. No feathering or show through.

Bottom line from my first fill is that I enjoy the properties of this ink more than the color of the ink. Like Lamy, the OS ink appears more along the lines of a blue-gray than a blue black. IMHO, the OS Aristotle would benefit from a wider nib and/or a juicy writer.

I picked up a couple of samples as I am a chemist by vocation I like their names! I tried Uranium green and Accident blue. The green is a little thin and writes dryly. The blue is decent but does not behave under water as others I have tried. Overall they are a nice ink, not very saturated, but I am used to Noodler's. Organics studio seems to be on par or better than the general ink cartridges I get with new pens.

Interesting sounding ink. Btw, I got over Noodler's saturation issues by BOLDLY cutting the ink with distilled water anywhere from 10 to 80% (yes 80), depending on the ink. Better behaved, better shading, cool color shifts, and still bullet proof. I discovered this by accident being far away from my ink and only having a bottle of water nearby.

Which of the OS inks are near bulletproof or bulletproof?

Interesting sounding ink. Btw, I got over Noodler's saturation issues by BOLDLY cutting the ink with distilled water anywhere from 10 to 80% (yes 80), depending on the ink. Better behaved, better shading, cool color shifts, and still bullet proof. I discovered this by accident being far away from my ink and only having a bottle of water nearby.

Which of the OS inks are near bulletproof or bulletproof?

"Bulletproof" is a term developed and marketed by Noodler's. Aristotle, being an iron-gall ink, is about as permanent as an ink can be. I am not familiar with the rest of the OS line so I cannot comment on their properties.

And I agree with you about Noodler's, and other highly saturated inks, in that dilution aids their performance.

"Bulletproof" is a term developed and marketed by Noodler's. Aristotle, being an iron-gall ink, is about as permanent as an ink can be.

Iron Gall?!! You kidding me. Fenton's reaction and the organic radicals of Iron Gall severely degrade the paper under it as quickly as.... maybe seven or eight centuries. That's hardly permanent. :001_tt2:

Iron Gall?!! You kidding me. Fenton's reaction and the organic radicals of Iron Gall severely degrade the paper under it as quickly as.... maybe seven or eight centuries. That's hardly permanent. :001_tt2:

If only the paper were better, right? :001_smile

I picked up a couple of samples as I am a chemist by vocation I like their names! I tried Uranium green and Accident blue. The green is a little thin and writes dryly. The blue is decent but does not behave under water as others I have tried. Overall they are a nice ink, not very saturated, but I am used to Noodler's. Organics studio seems to be on par or better than the general ink cartridges I get with new pens.
That has not been my experience with Uranium! It had become my daily ink in my "51. It is also water resistant as per my tests! I also have Nitrogen Blue which I like and is about the same properties and water resistance.

Tom

I can agree that they are water resistant. They can run pretty badly when water is poured over them. But I have found my Noodler's Heart of Darkness to be really bullet proof - even with my assortment of chemicals in the lab!!! The Organic Studios does not seem to wash off completely. I might try Nitrogen in the future.

I have no experience with this ink but was looking for thoughts, opinions, etc. I currently am using Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun and Ku-Jaku in my two daily writers. Fuyu-Syogon is probably my favorite ink. I was looking at replacing them with something less expensive next time.

Specifically, I was looking at Organic Studios as he makes the bold claim that his "elements" series compares to Iroshizuku.

Curious if anyone has experience with any of the Organic Studios inks and how they measure up.

Top Bottom