What's new

Best Rye Whiskey

I'm just starting to drink bourbon and whiskey on the rocks or with a little water. Picked up some low and slow as it looked interesting. Pretty complex flavor. Very sweet and tasty. I had no idea that simply watering down hard alcohol could taste good.

Forty Creek is my favourite, but is usually more expensive out here. Wisers is nice and can be found on sale quite often.

Forty Creek is very popular. I like Gibson's finest, Alberta Premium, and Meaghers 1878. I haven't heard of many of the brands mentioned, presumably they are US brands.

I have enjoyed both Bulleit and Sazerac. Only Bulleit remains in the cabinet. A Sazerac Friday evening is the end of the work week.

This is a tough one I really like Whistle Pig but it's a bit pricey. I recently had Rittenhouse rye at a whiskey tasting and it was quite good and for $20 bucks it's easy on the wallet for a blind buy. I see some people recommend Bulleit and i would agree. It's very good and the price point isn't terrible.

I spoke with a Campari/WT rep the other day, and he tells me that WT-Rye 101 is back onthe market---In New York Only!!!

I hope to get over the border too to see if this is true...one of the best ryes at a great price

may I vote for Jefferson's Rye...wow! great stuff...

plenty tho on my to try list now!

Michter's Rye is delicious. I'm a fan of Templeton as well. I enjoy Bulleit in mixed drinks, but since I've explored the others, I drink it less on its own.

Templeton is $28.55 a bottle at the West Des Moines, IA Costco for anyone nearby or traveling through the area.... There is about a pallet available as of yesterday.

I've been tempted recently to try some classic cocktails, notably an Old Fashioned and a Manhattan. I don't go out much to any places that would do it "right", so I might as well try it myself.

I am usually a single malt drinker if that means anything for choosing a rye, and I like to get something versatile enough to try neat or on the rocks, but also a good base for the Old Fashioned or Manhattan.

I live in Virginia so we have a limited choice. I'm thinking Templeton from looking at the ABC list. Reviews seem to have it being pretty versatile. Also read some good reviews on Russell Reserve and Wild Turkey 101 if they carried it. It looks like they just have the 81. No Whistlepig, or else I would probably just go for that.

Here is the list I have to choose from: http://www.abc.virginia.gov/Pricelist/STRAIGHT_RYE_WHISKEY.html
______
Update: Bought some Templeton, Peychaud's bitters, Angostura bitters, and sweet vermouth. Liquor store only had Peychauds and saw some gents on here like it in their Manhattan and Old Fashioned, so why not? I wasn't sure I'd find Angostura anywhere else, but stumbled upon it at the grocery store so now I have both.

Last edited:
Rye is my go to, also. I liked the Wild Turkey 101, but can't find it anymore. Old Overholt is good. I bought some James E. Pepper 1776 last spring in Lexington, VA that is also good.

Bottom line - I have never met a rye that I didn't like!!

Wigle Whiskey is a great little distillery here in Pittsburgh. Their Rye, as well as the rest of their products, is fantastic. They've actually been getting a little bit of attention elsewhere, and its very deserving. Check them out HERE.

Also, and this is pretty cool, tonight my dad and I are going to the distillery for a "labeling party". Where we eat, and drink their cocktails, and hand label all the bottles. Very neat little place, with a great product. Definitely a must try if you have the chance.

Rye is my go to, also. I liked the Wild Turkey 101, but can't find it anymore.

I really loved WT101 Rye as well, and read articles back in November that they would be reintroducing it. I have yet to find the 101 Rye this year, and have only seen the much-less-delicious 80 proof Rye.

The Russell's Reserve Rye is quite tasty, although also difficult to find on a consistent basis for me.

First off. Ollie4ISU? You are my Hero. :thumbup:

I'm ISU class of 93.

I'm pretty much a dedicated Irish Whisky guy. Dad is all single malt Scotch. I do live in the land of the Templeton and Cedar Creek ryes though. I love Manhattans as a pre dinner warm up, and a Templeton Manhattan is quite nice... Plus they say that Al Capone had Templeton delivered to him at Alcatraz. Must be good then huh? :thumbup:

Top Bottom