What's new

Best Rye Whiskey

I saw that yesterday at my local store and was tempted, although any of the "flavored" whiskey's I have tried all have that slightly cough syrupy flavor to them and it scared me off. Awesome packaging though. Wish they made a plain rye.

There is rye out of Quebec that is made with maple sap in place of water. Taste like maple syrup, 90 proof and no bite. Dangerous sipping drink.

Old Portero Single Malt Rye from Anchor distilling...the most nuanced rye I've ever had.....costs an arm and a leg though

I'm biased too......Crown Royal special reserve......just what a person needs to get through the rough Eastern Canadian winter.

I have a High West 21 year old rye that is unbelievable and was comprable in price to a 12 year scotch (high end). High West also makes a lot of blends that are all fantastic. My favorite is Campfire. There is a local distiller that has a rye out of the finger lakes, McKenzie, which is exceptional. For more reasonable price ryes, my favorite is Jim Beam. I know there were comments about bourbon companies making a rye, but I think this one is an exception. for $16, it is worth a try.

I really like rye's. My favorites are (as previously mentioned by others I might add) Bullet Rye and Russel's Reserve Rye. Bullet packs a powerful rye punch, and Russel's is a smoother option. If your are feeling crazy, and Ohio bound I recommend OYO white dog rye. Its an unaged rye and is interesting to taste what a rye whiskey tastes like prior to the barrel.

I have a High West 21 year old rye that is unbelievable and was comprable in price to a 12 year scotch (high end). High West also makes a lot of blends that are all fantastic. My favorite is Campfire. There is a local distiller that has a rye out of the finger lakes, McKenzie, which is exceptional. For more reasonable price ryes, my favorite is Jim Beam. I know there were comments about bourbon companies making a rye, but I think this one is an exception. for $16, it is worth a try.

I have been eyeballing Campfire for months, you may have just put me over the edge!

I liked the Wild Turkey 100 proof rye but I am lucky to find the 80 proof now... Been drinking Bulleit.

Good point, John, and it reminds me to add a qualifier to my Rittenhouse recommendation:

I bought one bottle of the Rittenhouse 8x proof (only type my liquor store had), and it is not even in the same ballpark with the 100 proof BIB bottle. Stay away from it, or at least don't base your opinion of Rittenhouse Rye on the lower proof bottle.

In my opinion, stay clear of the big names who are throwing their "me too" attempts at rye. Wild Turkey, Beam and even George Dickel have ryes that I thought were less than stellar. At least when compared to my staple (Bulleit Rye).

Interesting fact: George Dickel and Bulleit Rye start out as the same mash. Dickel runs it through the charcoal filtering (Lincoln County Process). I've wanted to get these side by side to see what exactly the difference is. Obviously for you, the difference is a negative.

Interesting fact: George Dickel and Bulleit Rye start out as the same mash. Dickel runs it through the charcoal filtering (Lincoln County Process). I've wanted to get these side by side to see what exactly the difference is. Obviously for you, the difference is a negative.

Yeah, I don't want to come off too harsh on them. It was mainly an overall "meh" feeling about them. I love George Dickel 12 but there just wasn't anything that stood out about the Dickel Rye. Maybe the charcoal process smoothed it out too much for me as I like and edge to Rye.

Hi all -- new to the Speakeasy, but saw this thread and had to dig in.

I'm almost exclusively a rye drinker these days -- LOVE the stuff. Hard to argue with the recommendations you've gotten so far.

Bulleit is my go to, daily rye. Wide available here, not too pricey, and you can do a lot worse. Old Overholt is relatively cheap and not bad, but better IMO for mixed drinks. And strangely harder to find. For me, it doesn't hold up to drinking straight or on the rocks -- the flavor is too underwhelming.

Templetons is good. I bought a bottle of that, along with a bottle of 13th Colony Southern Rye, a few months ago -- not readily available in my area. Actually preferred the 13th Colony, and if memory serves, it was cheaper than even Bulleit. If you can find it, give it a try.

Anybody ever try Jeffersons? I had a bottle a long time ago when I was first exploring ryes. I remember liking it, but I'm not sure what my opinion would be now, having tried many others.

Of course, Whistlepig is AWESOME. My budget can only go for about one bottle of that a year, though, so I save it for special occasions.

Enjoy the exploration!

Hi all -- new to the Speakeasy, but saw this thread and had to dig in.

I'm almost exclusively a rye drinker these days -- LOVE the stuff. Hard to argue with the recommendations you've gotten so far.
Anybody ever try Jeffersons? I had a bottle a long time ago when I was first exploring ryes. I remember liking it, but I'm not sure what my opinion would be now, having tried many others.

Enjoy the exploration!

Yes, indeed. 10yo, if I recall correctly, and very tasty. I'd rank it right up there with the Templeton's and Sazerac. Thanks for reminding me, and welcome aboard!

Old Portero Single Malt Rye from Anchor distilling...the most nuanced rye I've ever had.....costs an arm and a leg though

Wow, I didn't know Anchor got into the rye business as well. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Their Junipero is probably my favorite gin.

But back on track:

another +1 on Bulliet. Well-priced, and not overpoweringly caramel-tasting like some others.

This thread has piqued my curiosity in Whistlepig. I haven't been able to bring myself to pony up the dough for it, but the enthusiastic descriptions make me want to empty my wallet. :thumbup:

This won't really help the Op but:

I am partial to Gibson's Finest, a Canadian Rye whiskey. The 12 year old seemed pretty smotth but the 18 year old ws even smoother.

My father-in-law has Jamison's single malt whiskey now and again.

I recently read about and tried Colby's Lot 40, another Canadian Rye whiskey. It is different than Gibso's or Canadian Club. I am in no way a whisky connoisseur so I haven't tried a lot of others on a regular basis. The Lot 40 has a bit of a bit, afterburn, but in a good way.

Top Bottom