What's new

A Woman's Perspective on DE Shaving

Hello everyone! My girlfriend that I've spoken about so highly here wanted to write up something for you guys, and any women that might read this, wondering if DE shaving is for them. And now, I turn this over to her for her insights on the matter...

In the past I have tried several different cartridge type disposables. The one I would typically go for was the Schick Intuition. It was quick and easy, and there was no prep time and no mess. I could shave in the shower and be done in just a few minutes. I loved it. If I buy at the warehouse club, I usually get 12 refills for about $29 or so. Not bad, but definitely a lot more than 100 for $10. I can typically use them two or three times before I have to toss them. Sometimes that little strip just comes off, and it feels like I’m scraping my skin. Those times I have to toss it sooner.

I’ve also tried the Gillette Fusion ProGlide (which I originally stole from my boyfriend). It’s a great little razor, and it works really well on my legs. I get a nice smooth shave, at least from the knee down. It’s also easy to use in the shower, and I can shave fairly quickly with no nicks. I think I was getting 16 for about $45. (I’ll have to double check my numbers when I find a receipt.)

Since I love those other two so much, you might wonder why I am talking about double-edged shaving. Well, my boyfriend talked me into trying it, and it has been an overall pleasant experience. He’s been reading to me from the site, and all of you seem to really enjoy wet shaving and getting other people into it. One member even sent me a beautiful blue Lady Gillette, my very first safety razor, so that my boyfriend could take back his Black Beauty. I also bought a Parker, which I really like. My favorite blades at this point (I think) are the Gillette Black and the Shark Super Chromes. I’ve also had great luck with the Astras. I tried a Feather, and I think because I’m so new I just couldn’t get the hang of it. It was a super smooth shave but with a lot of blood loss.

Another thing I really is like the way the brush and cream exfoliate. I also enjoy trying out the different creams and soaps. I’m sensitive to smells, and some of them are simply amazing. (Yes, I could use the brush and cream with a disposable, but wait, there’s more.)

I have always (as far as I can remember) had a sort of bumpy rash on the backs of my thighs. I thought it was sensitive skin reacting to heat and whatnot. I work a desk job, and I thought it was just a result of sitting a lot. I wear pants most of the time, so I didn’t think much about it. Now that I have begun wet shaving, it turns out all those little red bumps were ingrown hairs and irritated places in my skin. The super smooth shave I was getting was cutting the hair too deep beneath the surface, and as a result I had a minefield of pimples and ingrown hairs on the back of my legs. Once I started wet shaving, the combination of exfoliation and a just right shave have almost eliminated my problem. (I haven’t been doing this very long.)

Now, I know a lot of people complain about the amount of time it takes to wet shave. I do understand that time is an issue, and wet shaving is much more time consuming than using a disposable. Personally, the results I get are worth the extra time. Something else I have noticed, when my hair does grow back in, it’s not as thick and dark in appearance. It’s even softer to the touch. I don’t know if it’s because I no longer cut below the skin or if it is my imagination. I do know that I can go a day or two longer between shaves now thanks to the difference.

One way my boyfriend and I have solved the issue of time is to shave together. He uses the sink and mirror, and I sit on the side of the tub. It gives us a chance to talk and share our day while pampering ourselves. He even helps me shave those difficult to reach spots on the back of my legs, and I sometimes help with those stubborn places beneath his chin. It’s a relaxing way to wind up the day, and it works as bonding time over a shared hobby. (Plus I get to brag about how good I am at mixing the lather.)

I do have a bit of an embarrassing story that shows why the safety razors are superior, and it may even change some minds, especially for those of you on the fence. Recently my kids were sick (like 2 trips to the emergency room sick), and then I was sick, and I didn’t shave for a while. I’m not saying how long, but it was at least 2 weeks. I had even joked about using the trimmer to mow it down before trying to shave. I know that there is no way those cartridge razors could have handled it. Even one up stroke on what I had going would have clogged them right up (I know from past experience :wink2: ). I had my Parker loaded with a Shark, and I used my Eton College shave cream, and I had absolutely no problems. I got a pretty nice shave with only a single pass with the grain. I had no clogs at all. At one point there was a small patch of hair clinging to the blade, so I opened it and ran it under the water to clear it. Then it was smooth sailing after that. I do not know a single cartridge on the market that could have handled it.

I understand that some of you have no skin conditions. (Lucky you :tongue_sm) Please continue to enjoy whatever razor it is that makes you happy.

I understand some of you do not have the time nor patience to wet shave. I’m short on both of those myself. Please, use whatever works best for you and your schedule.

I understand that some of you do not have to watch every penny. (Once again, lucky you :tongue_sm). I, however, enjoy knowing that even with some of the more expensive creams I get, my shaves are still cheaper. (TOBS is my go to. I like St. James and Eton College, and they even smell nice mixed together – which we found out when I needed just a little extra for a touch up, and so I stole what my boyfriend had left over). Even if I were to toss my blade after every shave, which I don’t, I still come in at around 35 cents a shave. The other razors cost me between 85 cents and nearly 2 dollars a shave depending on the quality of blade and what cream I use.

If you are lucky, like my boyfriend’s father, you can use the same blade for three months. With just a dab of cream each time, he’s coming in at about a dime a shave so far.

Anyway, I’m sure I have more to say, but my lunch break is ending. Thank you for all of your advice and happy shaving!

That's a great story, nice to see more females enjoying wet shaving, now you will have to join the forum as your own entity. Cheers.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Thanks for sharing your journey with DE shaving!
proxy.php

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Another thing I really is like the way the brush and cream exfoliate. I also enjoy trying out the different creams and soaps. I’m sensitive to smells, and some of them are simply amazing.
I agree with you, the scent of the soap is something very important IMHO Recently I've tried some scent-free shaving creams and definitively not the same, it was feeling so wrong and lifeless : /

Hi Penknight. Please thank your girlfriend for her post. It was great to read as I am in the process of converting my wife over to DE wetshaving. She loves the pre/post feel of MWF, but hasn't decided to learn to lather yet. I also got her a pink Lady Gillette that she has only used once due to the "learning curve". Now to my question. Does your girlfriend have a particular brush preference? I have used several brushes, the largest being a M&F 2XL to lather my wife's legs and they all seem a bit "small". I was thinking I might need something like a Kent BK12? Any "experienced" opinions would be great. Thank again.

@ Penknight: Girlfriend that talks razors and shaving, hang on to this one, she's a keeper!!

@ girlfriend: Thanks for sharing you experience. Now the guys have a bit more ammo when talking with their gals. And congrats on your success.

I'm so happy that I saw your post and I hope your girlfriend comes back with a profile! If I didn't see this, I'd probably still be bouncing around from site to site on the internet, trying to glean the bits and pieces that I can.

I recently convinced my husband to get into DE shaving, since he's a soldier and needs to keep the shadow away for as much of the day as possible. While I was out buying his setup as a surprise, I inquired about women being able to utilize these razors and was met with a bit of incredulousness/dismay... :blushing: ...so today, out of curiosity, I tried it for the first time using his Muhle R89 Grande.

I figured that if he could shave his face - I could shave my legs - despite what the sales reps had to say. It's probably because they made it seem impossible, that I tried. Honestly, I'm super glad that I did!

So now, I'm here researching everything I can and I'm sure that I'll have questions,... but it's great to know that this isn't an exclusive-facial-hair-only-club. :thumbup:

I'm going to continue poking around, but I just wanted to post my thanks!!

P.S. Does this community have a thread hiding someplace that can explain to me some of the abbreviations being used?

I'm so happy that I saw your post and I hope your girlfriend comes back with a profile! If I didn't see this, I'd probably still be bouncing around from site to site on the internet, trying to glean the bits and pieces that I can.

I recently convinced my husband to get into DE shaving, since he's a soldier and needs to keep the shadow away for as much of the day as possible. While I was out buying his setup as a surprise, I inquired about women being able to utilize these razors and was met with a bit of incredulousness/dismay... :blushing: ...so today, out of curiosity, I tried it for the first time using his Muhle R89 Grande.

I figured that if he could shave his face - I could shave my legs - despite what the sales reps had to say. It's probably because they made it seem impossible, that I tried. Honestly, I'm super glad that I did!

So now, I'm here researching everything I can and I'm sure that I'll have questions,... but it's great to know that this isn't an exclusive-facial-hair-only-club. :thumbup:

P.S. Does this community have a thread hiding someplace that can explain to me some of the abbreviations being used?
Yes, here you go sir http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Abbreviations

Hi Penknight. Please thank your girlfriend for her post. It was great to read as I am in the process of converting my wife over to DE wetshaving. She loves the pre/post feel of MWF, but hasn't decided to learn to lather yet. I also got her a pink Lady Gillette that she has only used once due to the "learning curve". Now to my question. Does your girlfriend have a particular brush preference? I have used several brushes, the largest being a M&F 2XL to lather my wife's legs and they all seem a bit "small". I was thinking I might need something like a Kent BK12? Any "experienced" opinions would be great. Thank again.

She liked using my Parker Pure Badger shaving brush with the black handle and chrome cap that she picked me up for an early Christmas present last year, and my Parker chrome handle Silvertip brush that was a birthday present. Her decision for her own brush was a bit cheaper than what I have, but works well for her needs. She prefers a nice shaped handle for grip. The only issue she's had thus far has been letting it soak in her mug. The handle is so light that the bristles float up, dropping the handle into the warm water. I've learned how to set my brush against hers to keep it down when they're prepping, and it really helps. Here's a link to the brush she has now. We've discussed getting her a different one, and may later on this year. I'll be sure to keep you posted on that if and when we do. :)

http://www.amazon.com/SimplyBeautif...&qid=1394536427&sr=8-2&keywords=Shaving+brush

If you'd like, I can post the links to my brushes as well, and they might give you an idea on the knot sizes that work well for her. Just let me know.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I showed her your replies last night, and she smiled and said again how nice all of you are. And gentlemen, if you're interested in getting your ladies involved in wet shaving, I hope you'll consider letting her read her post or reading it to her. I know a few threads started by women here really helped motivate her, and my promising not to leave her alone to try it out. My presence there really seems to help. Never underestimate how important your being there really is. It can be intimidating at first, and being alone can make it seem more so. Help making the lather, having a nice razor and brush, softly explaining with patience how to use them and why they beat out foam and gels helps. Offer to help out. Suggest trying angles. The angle of her Lady Gillette differs from the one required by the Parker 29L she also has, though they are similar in appearance. If I can think of any more tips, I'll be sure to post them later on. :)

Last edited:

I'm really glad that you joined us here, and congratulations on taking your first steps in wet shaving! I'll be sure and let her know that you appreciate her post, and she might even reply to you here. I'll have to ask this evening when she gets home.

I honestly think that a lot of places seem to forget about women and wet shaving, to be honest. Or perhaps they just don't know as much as they lead you to believe. Just remember that your mother likely shaved this way. I know my mother did. The fact that you picked up the razor and gave it a try says a lot about you. Good job! And I wish your husband a great deal of success as well. :)

Oh, I've seen it mentioned before, but I have to agree that a section here on Badger and Blade for women might be really useful. I hope to see that one day.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

I'm really glad that you joined us here, and congratulations on taking your first steps in wet shaving! I'll be sure and let her know that you appreciate her post, and she might even reply to you here. I'll have to ask this evening when she gets home.

I honestly think that a lot of places seem to forget about women and wet shaving, to be honest. Or perhaps they just don't know as much as they lead you to believe. Just remember that your mother likely shaved this way. I know my mother did. The fact that you picked up the razor and gave it a try says a lot about you. Good job! And I wish your husband a great deal of success as well. :)

Oh, I've seen it mentioned before, but I have to agree that a section here on Badger and Blade for women might be really useful. I hope to see that one day.

There is this thread that you might enjoy and find helpful.... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/311517-The-League-Of-Leg-Shavers

Great. Good for the girlfriend and boyfriend. My wife had been shaving her legs and under arms with a Schick Intuition but tried my wetshaving set-up out of the blue last year. She has never looked back. I even bought her some wetshaving equipment. And she convinced some of her friends to try it out. She sees shaving as more of a means to an end, where I actually enjoy the process.

Top Bottom