What's new

shave soaps vs. creams

im not sure whether this belongs here, or in the soaps forum, or the cream forums but regardless i must present this question: while looking around on different websites ive noticed that shaving creams tend to be much more expensive than shaving soaps and wondered why the difference in price? also, which do you fellas prefer?

It's really a personal choice. If you're using them correctly, both should last a long time. I started out with creams. They're fun because they come in so many "flavors" that you feel compelled to try a lot of them, and they do add variety to your daily shave. My first tub, TOBS Sandalwood, lasted almost a year, using it daily. With that being said, I personally have gone to soaps, and I think that is where I'll be staying. There's something kind of "old school" about using soaps, and the ones I've tried give excellent results.

The difference in price? I don't know. It may be a more complicated process to get the right blend of materials to make a cream that doesn't seperate out into solids and liquids, or doesn't harden in the tub. I think keeping something in a "cream" state takes some know-how and expertise. At any rate, you can always have some fun trying different things and see what works for you. I know I did!

Don

I'm quite new to this is all, and I've got soaps and creams. Personally I prefer creams due simply due to the easiness on creating a decent lather. (I'm having some real issues with soap at the moment :mad:)

I wet shaved for years using Williams Mug soap. When I switched to DEs I moved to the finer soaps and added corresponding creams. I almost always superlather these days.

For me, the answer is both. :tongue:

I am mainly using cream right now though I have started to dable with soaps.. In general I get a thicker more cushiony lather from creams... they seem more dense when lathered. As always YMMV.

Mostly soaps, but I have a few must-have creams. I don't have all of them right now, but I finally got my hands on some T&H West Indian Limes cream. I traded away my tube of Proraso, but am really reconsidering my actions and might go pick up some of the Bigelow/Proraso cream after work today. Otherwise, my favorites are soaps, especially the Honeybee and QED soaps.

I am mainly using cream right now though I have started to dable with soaps.. In general I get a thicker more cushiony lather from creams... they seem more dense when lathered. As always YMMV.

+1

I tend to get a better cushion and glide with creams. Although that probably says more about my skill, or lack thereof, with soaps than anything else.:lol:

do you think i would be able to find any good creams in say CVS or Walgreens? if not theres a small Crabtree and Evelyn store here, but im not even sure if they carry mens products.

I use Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap 9 times out of 10 these days, so I guess I'm a soap guy. . . got nothing against creams though. . .

do you think i would be able to find any good creams in say CVS or Walgreens? if not theres a small Crabtree and Evelyn store here, but im not even sure if they carry mens products.

The only cream they offered was Palmolive Red and Palmolive Green. Production of those products ceased in the autumn of 2006, and the products were closed out in January 2007. :sad: They have not offered a replacement cream, just goo and foam.

Lionhearted is probably happy. :tongue_sm

If you don't find anything at a local brick and mortar store, you can always do your shopping on the internets.

-- John Gehman

i hadnt ever heard of Tabac before Gunnar mentioned it, but know that ive read the reviews id like to try it. would that be available and a local drug store??

Crabtree & Evelyn should have everything you need. I've tried and like their Nomad cream and Sienna soap. I tried and don't care for their Solutions For Men line.

Crabtree & Evelyn should have everything you need. I've tried and like their Nomad cream and Sienna soap. I tried and don't care for their Solutions For Men line.

cool deal, i was just kinda leary about walking through the door... from the outside it looked like wall to wall ladies things but i guess ill just have to take the plunge next time im at the mall.

Top Bottom