What's new

Knife sharpening question

I like the DMT 325 and a 1K suggestion. DMT 325's are great for lapping stones flat. They're also good for setting a bevel on a knife. A 1K stone or a 1200 DMT is about as much as you need for knives but works well as a bevel setter on straights.

Thanks for all the advice about self honing and for the offer to so it for me. My concern is that I spent hundreds of dollars on the set and I don't want to ruin them learning! :O

I was told by an old man years and years ago.....I think he was about my age now and he says you can not sharpen anything until you know what a sharp edge looks like. Look at sharp edges and then try to duplicate. Works on my hunting knife.

I can get a hair-cutting edge on most of my knives using a 1000x Japanese water stone, but I have to use a cheater vise that gives you the angle. I suck at anything freehand, and I usually do more harm than good when I try. There's a company in the city that offers a sharpening course for $60 that I'm thinking of taking. I would love to be 'that guy' that can sharpen anything with anything. I just don't think I'll be that guy without a lot of help!

I normally use a Lansky, but since I started EDCing an Opinel No6 a few months ago, I've only sharpened it once and touch it up back to hair popping sharp with my steel honing rod.

Two pages of good advise but we have no idea what "blades" you plan to sharpen and how it may help you if you start with a straight.

I don't think starting with straights is a great idea. While I do think the skills are the same, because the angle is so acute on a straight the edge is measured in angstroms. Making it far easier to roll the edge an ruin all the work. A working knife on the other hand has more metal at the edge so is more forgiving. I think anyone can learn to sharpen knives pretty easily. Fancy angle guides and such aren't needed. Steady hands and patience are.

if you are going to do razors then you best get the stones. all the guided honing in the world wont help with a straight learn the art. I am an extra class amateur radio operator and yes I learned code had to to get license at the time. I teach code to those who want to learn and to meif you don't learn the rhythm from the old st key you haven't learned anything. buy a few starter stones and give her a go. I love the dmts for knives for straights I use a coti and a barber hone.

Top Bottom