What's new

First shave with an Old Type OC and possibly an AHA moment. Warning, long post

First off I have to say that it's not my first shave with an OC

My dad bought me a three piece OC many years ago and I used it a few times like I did my cartridges with less than stellar results.

Canned goop or hand lathered soap etc. did everything I shouldn't do with it.

I'm sorry to say that I reverted...

Fast forward a few years and I'm a couple of months into wet shaving.

This was my first, real, shave with an OC.

This bad boy that I've been itching to try for a while.

$Razor.jpg

Gear:
Old Type OC
Astra SP
TOBS Sandalwood
Frank Shaving best badger brush
Alum stick

Shave:
Splash face with warm water
Lather
Splash with warm water
3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG + touch ups
Cold water rinse
Alum
Cold water rinse

Result:

BBS above the jawline and DFS below. No need to get greedy ;-)

Less irritated than usual and just one minor nick.

Pretty good.

This makes me think that I've found my Achilles heel.

I'm usually a bit more irritated when I use my other razors: Black handle SS, Red tip SS, Merkur HD, Slim Adjustable.

The same happened when I tried using pre shave oil and that led me to thinking that it's too much pressure.

Too much pressure because, I believe, I have a hard time "feeling" the razors edge while shaving.

I feel the cutting resistance fine when hitting the correct angle but I can't really feel the actual blade on my skin.

No such problem with my new old type, the edge was, quite, noticeable.

That made it so much easier for me to correct angle and pressure.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

I'll give it a few more shaves and then I'll test my hypothesis further with my newly acquired NEW Long Comb.

More blade exposure!!

Wish me luck! ;-)

Shave on!

I know what you mean. I used an OC for the first time yesterday, a Gillette New. Best shave I've ever had, and I've been DE shaving for 4 and a half years. Only problem is, the razor I used isn't mine, so I don't get to keep it. Guess I'll get razor shopping soon.

I changed to a Razo Rock Jaws from a Merkur 33C and found the shave better than anything I ever had. I have used the OC almost exclusively for 39 daily shaves with a variety of blades and each shave is BBS or just under. An OC will be my go to from now on.

My old types are my favorite razors. Since I can feel the blade more then in other razors my technique is much better. Gillette got it right on the first try

Below is photo of the Gillette old OC that I found in St. Pete Florida in a flea market. When I found it, you would have thought it had been wased in black coal. The silver plating had turned years ago. I have been wet shaving for years and own and tried Fat boys, Gillette OC new short comb, black beauty, Merkur Progress, Muehle R106, etc. I have a lite beard and sensative skin so I find the best shave for me is Tobac, Astra and Fat boy on 2 or the OC new short for a more aggressive BBS shave. All I can say about the old oc is, "that bad boy is rough!!" For me, once razor burned is enough.

$Gillette Old Single Ring After.jpg

Below is photo of the Gillette old OC that I found in St. Pete Florida in a flea market. When I found it, you would have thought it had been wased in black coal. The silver plating had turned years ago. I have been wet shaving for years and own and tried Fat boys, Gillette OC new short comb, black beauty, Merkur Progress, Muehle R106, etc. I have a lite beard and sensative skin so I find the best shave for me is Tobac, Astra and Fat boy on 2 or the OC new short for a more aggressive BBS shave. All I can say about the old oc is, "that bad boy is rough!!" For me, once razor burned is enough.

View attachment 421650

That is a beautiful single ring

Top Bottom