What's new

Synthetic brush shootout

Background

My intention with this comparison of my favorite synthetic brushes is to shed some light on how the top synthetics of today compare among each other. I compare the 23 mm Mühle STF (Silver Tip Fibre) V2, the Plisson by Cade and a no name 26mm Pur Tech. The reason I don't want to name the last brush is that the vendor is banned on B&B and I do not wish to endorse a banned vendor out of respect for the members and mods of this board.

I have been shaving with synthetic brushes since long before the V1 of the STF. This comparison is made right after I finished the 'One Blade in February' challenge. That is to say I have been shaving daily with the blade I use (a Black Indian 7 O'clock) in this comparison for 28 days with BBS results. I continued throughout this comparison to use the same blade. I did so partly to see how far I can go and partly to see what these brushes can offer in demanding circumstances.

I know that the Simpsons first synthetic is out but I wont be getting one. I don't own any Simpsons and, especially after these comments from what I consider the leading authorities on the matter, I don't see me getting one either: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ubby-2-synthgetic-brush?p=5993894#post5993894 .

I have a structured way of evaluating brushes as to not mix the properties of a brush with the impact these have when using the brush. For example the loft is a property of the brush but no one can feel it on their face. The loft has impact via the face feeling and on how a brush makes lather.

As you probably could tell by now I am an old (grumpy ) fogey and I judge shaving equipment solely by how it delivers for me, with my way of shaving. I use these brushes only for face lathering while using a stick or a soap directly on my face.

$synts4.jpg
Plisson by Cade, no name Pur Tech 26 mm and Mühle 23 mm STF2

Face feeling

Face feeling is dependant on loft, material of fibres, density and width of the knot.The face feeling of these brushes is soft and non splaying after you have adjusted your technique accordingly.

The Plisson is the softest one but still it also feels most concentrated. I think this is partly because it has a more pronounced bulb shape than the others and partly because the handle is lighter. The material of the fibres is different than the other two have. The fibres are still somewhat curly but thinner and they do offer backbone.

The Pur Tech fibres of the no name brush are the same as in the Mühle. In the no name version the face feeling is that of more splay and a larger brush. This is because the knot is wider (has an almost fan shape) and the density is lower. According to the vendor this knot is extra dense - it is not that.There is however no glue bump as in the older and bigger 28 mm version of this brush.

The Mühle is denser and has more backbone than the no name. It feels more concentrated on the skin because of the bulbier profile and more density. It also feels decidedly bigger on the skin than the Plisson.

Lathering

For me the lather building and release are the second most important characteristic of a brush. The size, loft and density of the knot are important properties in this respect.

This is obvious: the Plisson makes different lather than the two others. The Plisson lather has smaller air bubbles from the beginning and the difference grows as one builds up the lather. This is because of the different fibres of the knot.

The release of lather is also affected by the choice of fibres. The Plisson releases marginally slower than the others. Mind you all brushes still release way better than a 3 band badger. The sparser Pur Tech releases best of these brushes.

Backbone

The backbone is dependent on what material the knot is made of and how the loft is set.Backbone is an essential property when it come to picking up and distributing soap on the skin.

The backbone of the Mühle is by far the most noticeable one of the brushes. A glue bump in a sparse knot can assist in this respect but the Pur Tech has no bump and is saved in this department by not having a very high loft. The backbone of the Plisson is surprising. Although it has the smallest knot (about 22mm) it has a very decent backbone and distributes soap and proto lather quite effortlessly on the skin.

$synts5.jpg
Top view to show density, same order on the brushes

Knot

The feeling of the knot on the face is dependent on the diameter, loft, shape, density and bristle type of the knot.

The shapes of these knots do vary more than you would think while looking at different pictures on the web. When put side by side the differences appear. The Plisson is a bulb and the Pur Tech is a hybrid leaning to the fan. I notice that Mühle has altered the shape of their knot since the STF version ( as seen in the last picture). It is now distinctly more of a bulb than earlier. The shape differences are easily detected during usage. The Pur Tech has the biggest knot and an almost fan shape: it gives by far the face feeling of a large brush accompanied with the sparser knot. The Plisson gives the most concentrated experience and the Mühle is not far behind.

I must also comment on how these knots hold water. This is somewhat of a weak spot for synthetic brushes, they do not retain water very well compared to badgers. When you adjust your technique this is no problem. To my surprise the Plisson holds water very well compared to the others, to an extent to call for yet another technique change. The Plisson behaves more or less like horse hair brush or an old finest badger. The difference to the other brushes is noticeable.

On a personal note I must add that I really don't like the yellowish tint of the Plisson - I think it's downright ugly. I am still somewhat surprised that the manufacturers insist on dying the fibres to remind of badger bristles. They should really let go of this and be led by the example of Vie-Long with the white natural horse brushes. Well this time they have at least managed to make the color stick unlike with the original STF (insert grumpy fogey smile here!).

Handle

The ideal handle is a very personal choice. I use all my brushes for face lathering. This usage calls for a compact handle. The total height of the brush should not be too tall or it will be uncomfortable to hold to the face.

The Plisson handle is made of wood with a thin matte laqueur. I hope the material is stabilized to withstand water. I must admit that it looks very nice though.It is also very light and that affects the feeling of the brush. The Mühle is a classic, well functioning handle while the Pur Tech has this distorted copy of a Chubby. I did not like the upper part of the handle; it has an odd angle and is hard to hold firmly with soapy hands (and the sparse knot leaks a lot of it onto the hands!).

Lastly I would like to say that when comparing these brushes I have had in mind the history, or lack of it, of them. I am very impressed by how the synthetic brushes have evolved over the few years I have used them. My first one many years ago was really horrible and only in my den because my daughter insisted on me having a non animal brush. Well the daughter moved out to live her own life but the synthetics stay in the den! I truly believe that they are the way to the future.

$synts3.jpg
Mühle 23 mm STF2, 21 mm silvertip badger and 21 mm STF first version

Last edited:
I agree with your remarks entirely. I have tried all three of the brushes plus numerous other synthetics in the last 6 mo. and have to say most were very similar in performance until I tried the Plisson. Really works better than the others for me. I think/hope that Simpson has over hyped their new synthetic and hope the consumer will recognize that. Their prices in my opinion are way out of line for a synthetic brush and strike me as greedy. $70-$75 would be more in line and I would be tempted to try it, but not at the price they have set for it.
I bowl lather TOBS and Proraso exclusively. JMHO

Last edited:
most were very similar in performance until I tried the Plisson. Really works better than the others for me.

There is something with this Plisson that just makes it stand out in the crowd. I think the fibres are the same as in the enormous HIS brush. Unfortunately I have PIFed that one so I can't compare directly.

I just wish that they hadn't used that color...:tongue_sm

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
You should try a Black Fibre. In my experience, it's a much better brush in use than the STF. The STF has a bit TOO MUCH backbone and doesn't want to splay when lathering. Almost feels like the STF is working against me when I use it. The BF is a bit softer on the ends and works much more with me.

...and in all the excitement no one has mentioned the Omega Hi Brush. I really don't know what it is about that brush. It is shunned more than Amish who have left the Church. I have 3 synthetics; the Muhle V2 wins the overall contest by a nudge and the Omega 346235 (which I have no idea what "Generation" it may be) bringing up the rear. Actually the Hi Brush was top of the heap until the new Muhle came on the scene; I had a V1 before that.

There is nothing I can find wrong with this offering from Omega. Competitively priced, attractive handles (both visually and ergonomically), hey...they're even Italian!!! Abondanzza!!! So why are they always left out in the cold?? Are there ANY fans??

...and in all the excitement no one has mentioned the Omega Hi Brush. I really don't know what it is about that brush. It is shunned more than Amish who have left the Church. I have 3 synthetics; the Muhle V2 wins the overall contest by a nudge and the Omega 346235 (which I have no idea what "Generation" it may be) bringing up the rear. Actually the Hi Brush was top of the heap until the new Muhle came on the scene; I had a V1 before that.

There is nothing I can find wrong with this offering from Omega. Competitively priced, attractive handles (both visually and ergonomically), hey...they're even Italian!!! Abondanzza!!! So why are they always left out in the cold?? Are there ANY fans??

I was wondering about input on the Omega Hi-Brush. I just ordered and should receive in the mail tomorrow. I bought the Omega 0146081. They seem to never be brought up but the select reviews seem to give a lot of praise. They seem to be right up there with the other high end ones usually coming I a close second or third but for less than $20 I figured I would try it.

Attachments

• $omega-pedzel-do-golenia-0146081_2.jpg
    $omega-pedzel-do-golenia-0146081_2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,195

Unfortunately, the Hi-Brushes are not always very competitively priced against the Muhle STF and not very widely available. Additionally, Omega is rarely discussed outside the realm of boar brushes, despite also having high quality sivertip brushes. This situations will likely only be solved by Omega with broader distribution of its non-boar brush offerings, particularly in the USA.

I also happen to like the variety in Hi-Brush handle styles. The barber pole design, in particular, just seems so whimsical and fun.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Yes, those Omega look pretty cool and I have read good things about them! I guess Omega is just more often associated with cheap boar brushes, even though they do make high end badger brushes, and good synthetics apparently.

Unfortunately, the Hi-Brushes are not always very competitively priced against the Muhle STF and not very widely available. Additionally, Omega is rarely discussed outside the realm of boar brushes, despite also having high quality sivertip brushes. This situations will likely only be solved by Omega with broader distribution of its non-boar brush offerings, particularly in the USA.

I also happen to like the variety in Hi-Brush handle styles. The barber pole design, in particular, just seem so whimsical and fun.

proxy.php

Not competitively priced? Most all of the Hi-Brush offerings are under $25. I believe the Muhle Silvertip Synthetic goes for around $70.

Not competitively priced? Most all of the Hi-Brush offerings are under $25. I believe the Muhle Silvertip Synthetic goes for around $70.

I've seen most of the Hi-Brushes with the nicer higher end handles in the $30-50 price range, when available. Muhle classic handle STF brushes, the undisputed market leader with the "Gen 4" knots, are priced only slightly higher (e.g., shaving.ie).

I've seen most of the Hi-Brushes with the nicer higher end handles in the $30-50 price range, when available. Muhle classic handle STF brushes, the undisputed market leader with the "Gen 4" knots, are priced only slightly higher (e.g., shaving.ie).

Yep... even mine with the Kosmo handle was only $43, the 21mm knot which for me is perfect for face lathering.

I believe my first synthetic was an Omega - it might have been a boar though. It was during my university years in the beginning of the '80s and the memories are a little diffuse. :001_rolle

I have heard a rumor that the Mühle synthetics and EJ synthetics use the same knots. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Thanks

I have heard a rumor that the Mühle synthetics and EJ synthetics use the same knots. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Thanks

I was reading a little bit about that some time ago when I got mine, there's a few threads but not much info to be honest, or at least I didn't find it. Here is an interesting pic though...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/341651-Edwin-Jagger-Synthetic?p=5042068#post5042068

EDIT: Also, the fact that the Muhle Silvertip Fibre ® is a registered trademark and Edwin Jagger feels free to use the same name referring to their brushes on their site, makes me think they are the same knots.

Last edited:
There is something with this Plisson that just makes it stand out in the crowd. I think the fibres are the same as in the enormous HIS brush. Unfortunately I have PIFed that one so I can't compare directly.

I have both. The HIS brush fibers are thicker than the Plisson's, but you are correct, they seem very similar in curl and both have incredible tip softness.

I just received my Omega Hi-Brush 0146081. Absolutely beautiful and I'm impressed with the quality. Going to try a shave now.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394216957.981676.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394217008.013980.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394217036.877472.jpg

Top Bottom