What's new

Going to natural soaps?

Thanks, Michelle. Pretty much what I had expected. Natural means pretty much what people want it to mean.
I use your shampoo bars because they work for me and are carefully crafted and with due respect I don't give
a hoot if they are natural or not.
Some posters evidently equate artisan with natural, which seems to me to possibly be a stretch... or maybe it isn't.
If someone chooses a "natural" soap on that basis and it gives him a sense of well being, goody for him!

I decided my first foray would be the Mistral Sandalwood bar (had an Amazon credit so it didn't cost me anything). Not sure how natural/organic it is as compared to the Artisan soaps but I wanted to start somewhere. It got great reviews and it certainly didn't have the the ingredients of my former body wash(s).

First off, its a lot of bar! 250g. Second, it lathered up nicely. The scent wasn't overpowering and my skin was very soft. No itchiness. Something the "commercial" soaps couldn't do. Good start. Even my Wife remarked on scent/feel.

After several weeks, I will venture into some of the suggestions in this thread and see how it goes since will have a base line.

Love this site!

I decided my first foray would be the Mistral Sandalwood bar (had an Amazon credit so it didn't cost me anything). Not sure how natural/organic it is as compared to the Artisan soaps but I wanted to start somewhere. It got great reviews and it certainly didn't have the the ingredients of my former body wash(s).

First off, its a lot of bar! 250g. Second, it lathered up nicely. The scent wasn't overpowering and my skin was very soft. No itchiness. Something the "commercial" soaps couldn't do. Good start. Even my Wife remarked on scent/feel.

After several weeks, I will venture into some of the suggestions in this thread and see how it goes since will have a base line.

Love this site!

I've used several Mistral soaps and they are a good bar of soap. I posted several reviews on Amazon about them.The three I have used were very heavy on the scent in my mind ( not a bad thing though), and worlds better than the Dove I was using. I like them and they are if I remember almost a nine oz bar and, they lasted quite a while. The Amber is an awesome scent and I've been thinking of getting that in the cologne. I don't know how "natural" they are but they are better than what I was using.
I went from that to Chagrin Valley, Mystic Waters, LyndasPride (another great tx soap maker) Herbaria, Queen Charlotte Soaps, and Sterlings. I recommend trying all of them. For me, all are better than the store bought soaps I was using and Sterlings works best for me but I have soaps from each. I don't know what it was in Dove but it was causing me to itch and sometimes because of the heat where I live break out into a rash. 99% of that is gone and my skin is so much better because I switched to artisan soaps. Not really caring about the "natural" aspect of it that much and not going to get into which is better kind of argument but in my experience it really helped me and my skin. The only time my skin dries out now is when I stand in from of a steaming hot shower to help with the sinus.

Chris

Last edited:
I switched years ago and and never looked back! As I get older I also look to more simpler things with less ingredients and often made or done the old fashioned way. Enjoy!

I've used several Mistral soaps and they are a good bar of soap. I posted several reviews on Amazon about them.The three I have used were very heavy on the scent in my mind ( not a bad thing though), and worlds better than the Dove I was using. I like them and they are if I remember almost a nine oz bar and, they lasted quite a while. The Amber is an awesome scent and I've been thinking of getting that in the cologne. I don't know how "natural" they are but they are better than what I was using.
I went from that to Chagrin Valley, Mystic Waters, LyndasPride (another great tx soap maker) Herbaria, Queen Charlotte Soaps, and Sterlings. I recommend trying all of them. For me, all are better than the store bought soaps I was using and Sterlings works best for me but I have soaps from each. I don't know what it was in Dove but it was causing me to itch and sometimes because of the heat where I live break out into a rash. 99% of that is gone and my skin is so much better because I switched to artisan soaps. Not really caring about the "natural" aspect of it that much and not going to get into which is better kind of argument but in my experience it really helped me and my skin. The only time my skin dries out now is when I stand in from of a steaming hot shower to help with the sinus.

Chris

Thanks! Yeah, I am notorious for steaming myself in the shower. As my wife calls it "lobsterizing". I know, not good for the skin but it feels good after a 10 mile run on a 25 degree (or less) morning. This winter has been less than kind here in the Northeast.

I guess the best part is yet to come in trying all these great soaps. So far, I do like the Mistral. Also heard great things about the Mysore Sandal soap as well so I might give that a try.

I switched years ago and and never looked back! As I get older I also look to more simpler things with less ingredients and often made or done the old fashioned way. Enjoy!

I hear ya! :thumbup1: I find myself looking at ingredients a lot more now and it's alarming. I see a lot of shift to the more simpler things or should I say, how they are made.

First, love the Nosferatu avatar

Michelle makes great soaps, and I'm a proud user of the shampoo bar. I read the forums and decided to give it a whilr. No turning back for me. The soaps from the artisans we support here are great. My skin has never been better-first winter in my adult life that I've not broken out with dry skin

I had used melt and pour or 'glycerin' soaps and/or body wash from bath and body works since the age of about 14 when I made the switch from Dial/Irish Spring lol. I didn't discover 'cold process' soaps until a few years ago, and they made my skin feel so amazingly soft that I became inspired to make my own and that is in essence how I am here today :) I would say that there are tons of options out there, if you are looking to try out something from switching from commercial to bar soaps I bet at your local farmers market you could find a soap vendor who would be willing to give you a free sample. At least, I do that for my local customers :) Its sort of like - here try this, its so awesome you will never go back to the old stuff again!

I get my soap from this place called oregon soap shoppe.
she makes wonderfull soap that i wash my body, hair, and shave with it. I will never use anything else again... If i run out i have some trader joes tea tree thats good

I just don't get how artisan soap makers make a living selling soap...

I pay 5 bucks for a good sized bar of soap that's made by hand in a tiny shop. Like they use to do it back in the day. She has over a hundred different scents in the shop for all different skin types.
Like I said- I bathe with it, wash my hair with it, and shave with it.
I no longer have to buy bar soap and shampoo.
When I go on a trip I take a bar in my dopp kit and I'm set.
She also makes other things that top brand names... Like chapstick, lotions, and balms
I've used crap like axe and all that gel stuff. Brands like Irish spring and dial turned me in to a crocodile.
I would have never thought I would be loyal to a artisan soap maker... Never!
But here I am... YMMV! BUT, you at least gotta put some miles on it before jumping to a conclusion.:tongue_sm
it helps a small business in a community at the vary least once.
The lady that owns the shop said her own mother said "who would ever want to buy your random soap" more or less.
Her mother works for her now...

Last edited:
I'm slowly making the switch. I'm starting off with some of Mike's Natural Soaps, and can foresee moving onto shampoo bars and the rest. I'm of the same opinion of wrz7091 and am happily simplifying a lot of aspects of my life.

For years I have used, for the lack of a better term, commercial soaps/body wash. Axe, Dove, Old Spice, Irish Spring to name a few. Often times, the scent never lasted and as far as feeling clean, I guess? Lackluster results.

Looking to go natural soaps. How many have switched to natural soaps and never looked back? The hype matched your results?

Like my my shaving creams, I enjoy the scent of Sandalwood. At least until it gets a bit warmer where I may want to try a more of a spring/summer eucalyptus type soap

On a odd note, at age 44, I find myself going back towards more simple ways. DE wet shaving, looking at natural soaps. Got rid of of my coffee pod machine and went Aeropress/French press (read, fresh ground coffee). And I don't see it stopping there....interesting phase of life.

My wife and I switched after we had kids. We wanted to buy them products free of parabens and other chemicals. Now we use natural soaps and shampoos (or as natural as you can get). It's too bad that they often cost more than the chemically stuff. Similar to groceries: A bag of organic cherries once cost my 14 dollars, but a box of twinkies cost about $2.

I get my soap from this place called oregon soap shoppe.
she makes wonderfull soap that i wash my body, hair, and shave with it. I will never use anything else again... If i run out i have some trader joes tea tree thats good
Is this the place?
proxy.php

http://www.oregonsoapshoppe.com

If so I didn't see any specific shaving soaps listed on their website, what do you use to shave?

Is this the place?
proxy.php

http://www.oregonsoapshoppe.com

If so I didn't see any specific shaving soaps listed on their website, what do you use to shave?

I use any of her bars... No specific soap made for shaving.
I use the bar like a shave stick. Get a good amount of soap on my face, swipe my brush on the soap a couple of times and face lather.
I also use a cheese grader and grade a bar down and press the shavings in a old spice mug for the more traditional way.
it will take some practice, but I get a good lather. It's a hard milled soap... Gonna be a little challenging.
i do use the old mane and tale tho!

Last edited:
Same for me although I'm a bit farther into my 40's. Starting using african black and shea butter soaps last winter which really helped my eczema. I'm not sure the chemicals or whatever were causing a problem, but I think the natural soaps have been better for my skin. I also really love trying all the different soaps and products out there. Only drawback is my wife makes fun of me for having more "products" than her.

Was doing a little research on "Natural" soap and came across this company and site info. I'm not affiliated with the company nor have I even ordered any of their products, but merely found this info interesting.

It also confirmed my understanding, most soaps are alkaline or basic i.e. opposite of acidic. And one of the reasons "soap" is used to shave with is that it is alkaline. And your hair in a alkaline environment opens the cuticle on the surface of the hair, allowing more hydration to occur making your beard hair easier to cut. Shampoo on the other had has detergent which is acidic and closes the cuticle on the hair making it stronger and resistant to hydration, and tangles less.

Top 10 Natural Soap Myths

The Myths we will debunk:
10. Body oils need to be removed in order to have clean skin.
9. The best soaps are pH balanced.
8. Antibacterial soap is better than regular soap.
7. Soap made with chemicals is bad for your skin.
6. If you can’t pronounce it, it shouldn't go on your skin.
5. Lye soap is harsh.
4. Soap can be made without lye.
3. Castile soap is 100% olive oil.
2. Soap making is difficult and expensive.
1. Soap can’t be “all-natural” since it doesn't exist in nature.

Similar to groceries: A bag of organic cherries once cost my 14 dollars, but a box of twinkies cost about $2.

THIS! A friend of mine and I were just remarking on this very topic. Healthy/organic/simplistic anything and you will pay dearly but yet McD Supersize for peanuts or $1.00 soap bar that will make you as dry as the Mojave desert.

Top Bottom