What's new

Reform 1745 Nib Adjustment

I received a couple of these off the bay and I love everything about them.. except the nib. It isn't too bad, it is just really tight at the tip. I tried all the tricks I know (squeezing the shoulders, working/stretching the tines apart with my fingernail), but I can't seem to get the tines to separate. The nib being semi-flex, I think I'm just flexing the tines instead of actually bending them.

Any suggestions?

I received a couple of these off the bay and I love everything about them.. except the nib. It isn't too bad, it is just really tight at the tip. I tried all the tricks I know (squeezing the shoulders, working/stretching the tines apart with my fingernail), but I can't seem to get the tines to separate. The nib being semi-flex, I think I'm just flexing the tines instead of actually bending them.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. One of mine was petty scratchy, but I was able to lift the offending tine even with the other. Other than that they're both pretty smooth writers.

I guess what I'm tryng to say is that they are both really dry, even to the point of skipping if I dont add a little pressure to get them started. The nib tines are touching at the tip when I hold them up to the light (while un-inked). I may be mistaken, but isn't there supposed to be a tiny, even gap in the nib slit all the way down?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Those pens need to be thoroughly flushed with a slightly soapy solution. Also, what ink are you having trouble with?

95% of the pens I use have the nib tips touching, tightly enough that I can't slip a piece of thin paper in there. Flexible nibs should touch.

From Richard Binder:
A flexible nib’s tines touch at the tip when the nib is at rest; in fact, they are slightly sprung so that if you move one tine slightly up or down, the two tips will overlap very slightly.

+1. The tines should touch. You can try flushing. You might need to check alignment of the nibs under magnification. Or you can try loosening the tines a bit by getting your index fingernails under the shoulders of the nib and gently stretching them apart a fraction.

I had Private Reserve Ebony Purple in one and R&K Goldgrun in the other. I flushed them both pretty thoroghly this morning and one of them wettened right up but the other is still pretty dry. I only tried it for a second. I'll try it again when I have a minute to play with it.

Thanks, guys.

Well, well. I applied a slight fingernail adjustment (to the shoulders) and the dry one wettened right up as well. Thanks a lot for your help, guys.

Honestly, I knew better than to ink these up before I flushed them. I mean, they're only 50 or so years old. I just couldn't wait. Next time I'll just wait. :)

Top Bottom